LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 Old 11-24-2019, 07:51 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 1
Thanks (Received): 2
Likes (Given): 3
Likes (Received): 3
1980 ST724 New Owner Questions

I recently picked up my first blower, a 1980 ST724 from the original owner. I was told it hadn't been run for 10 years, so needless to say I had to go through the carb and do a few things to it to get it into shape.

I've been plowing my driveway for the last 15 years with an ATV, but a recent job change has me working every time it snows, so I usually come home to whatever amount of snow has fallen from the latest storm for me to plow with my ATV. This last year was rather brutal with over 100" for the season and a few 12" storms that my ATV struggled to plow. I borrowed a new Ariens 30" blower that made quick work of the big snowfalls, in fact quicker than I could clear it with my ATV, which got me to finally break down and get a blower.

My question is: will this blower work alright for major snowfalls like this or is it too small? I live in northern Wisconsin so most of the snow we get is usually more on the dry side, but we go get some wet heavy stuff on occasion. My driveway is flat, paved, and about 100' long.

I know a guy who works at an Ariens dealer, and he said the blower I got isn't going to throw the snow very far due to the chute design. I've seen mention that I can put a taller chute on it from a different model; would it be worth it? If so, what models are compatible? I really don't need to throw the snow more than 25' or so, but I also don't like it blowing into my face. I already did the impeller mod.

I've checked the unit over and lubed everything on it. Is there anything I should be on the lookout for that is a common failure point on these units? It seems to be in pretty decent shape, and I would like to keep it that way.

1980 Ariens ST724
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 1 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes KennyW in CT liked this post
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 11-24-2019, 07:57 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 2
Thanks (Received): 17
Likes (Given): 6
Likes (Received): 70
You'll be very pleased with its performance; especially since it has an impeller modification.
Your snowblower is easily up to the task of clearing a 100-foot driveway.

Put a new Kevlar belt (such as Stens Tru-Blu or OEM Ariens belt) on it if you believe it's worn out.

Remove the auger shear bolts, inject grease into the auger tubes then spin them around on the auger shafts then reinstall the shear bolts. Apply an old-fashioned (the kind that requires buffing) liquid floor wax to all the snow-contacting surfaces inside the Sno-Thro attachment. It mitigates snow sticking to the attachment.

Last edited by badbmwbrad; 11-24-2019 at 08:06 PM.
post #3 of 16 Old 11-24-2019, 09:04 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 63
Thanks (Received): 79
Likes (Given): 77
Likes (Received): 127
Drop some pics Matt....Welcome and Congrats. Listen to the Ariens faithful on here they know their stuff and all the SBFer's. They all love to assist when they can.

If the chute you have now is all rusted and coarse inside....put a cloth or small towel in entrance hole to chute and then take a sanding block and sand away at back and both sides and upper chute as well until metal is smooth. Wipe clean. should stay smooth all season for you.

Then get some regular PAM and spray all around inside of chute...wipe off access and then come back in a couple of weeks and feel if still coated or dry to touch.....if dry then coat again and wipe off excess.

Last edited by SimplicitySolid22; 11-24-2019 at 09:16 PM.
post #4 of 16 Old 11-24-2019, 09:12 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks for the replies, guys. I did put a new Kevlar auger belt on it since the old one was starting to dry rot. I also greased the augers and fortunately they aren't seized on.

The chute is somewhat rusty on the inside; the PO did have a gravel driveway years ago to there is some wear to the impeller and on the inside of the chute. I'll have to pop it off, clean it up, and maybe give it a new coat of paint depending on the weather. The wax is a great idea and one I'll definitely try.

Here it is in all of it's glory!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	blower1.JPG
Views:	36
Size:	204.3 KB
ID:	159595   Click image for larger version

Name:	blower2.JPG
Views:	33
Size:	189.6 KB
ID:	159597  

1980 Ariens ST724
post #5 of 16 Old 11-24-2019, 09:59 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 63
Thanks (Received): 79
Likes (Given): 77
Likes (Received): 127
MAybe get some sno hogs or Xtracs on that bad boy!!!
post #6 of 16 Old 11-25-2019, 08:03 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
I went by my local Ariens dealer today to see if they had any junkers I could grab a tall chute from, which they didn't, but I did manage to score a decent set of snow hogs for free on a set of plastic rims. Now I just have to figure out how to swap them over to my rims or pay a tire shop to do it for me.

The weather is calling for 8-12" of snow tomorrow night into Wednesday so I'll be able to put this thing to the test and see how it does in some real snow.

1980 Ariens ST724
post #7 of 16 Old 11-25-2019, 08:15 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 147
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 538
A large portion of plastic rims were on a recall, fyi .

If you don't have a mini tire changer like the one from Harbor Freight, I would just bring them to a small equipment repair shop, or possibly a tire shop, but many tire shops do not do the very small equipment tires, but worth checking.
post #8 of 16 Old 11-26-2019, 12:46 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 42
Likes (Given): 8
Likes (Received): 180
It's kind of hard to tell from the photos but check the scraper bar height. The two shoes on each side of the auger housing can be adjusted. In the photos it looks like the housing may be too close or even contacting the concrete and if that is happening then it will rapidly wear the housing. The shoes are replaceable and sacrificial and are expected to wear out and be replaced. But do that well before the scraper bar contacts the ground.

If you have a paved driveway the normal adjustment is about 1/8", or the thickness of a free paint store paint stirring stick. If you have a gravel driveway make it more like 1/2" or higher, so you're not throwing your gravel all over the place and tearing up your snow blower in the meantime.
post #9 of 16 Old 11-26-2019, 01:01 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 4
Thanks (Received): 22
Likes (Given): 10
Likes (Received): 38
Just going by the pictures those shoes are past their useful life and way too thin at this point. Get yourself a new set of skid shoes and as the previous poster mentioned a paint stick on either inside edge of the scraper bar. But before you adjust that, air up the tires to the right psi as that specific height is part of the scraper bar height equation. Make sure the tires don't lose air otherwise you'll be wearing out the bucket.
post #10 of 16 Old 11-26-2019, 06:33 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 81
Thanks (Received): 212
Likes (Given): 66
Likes (Received): 767
Any of the chutes from a 924 series machine will fit.
Post Thanks / Like - 1 Thanks, 0 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Thanks Matt715 thanked for this post
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page