LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 Old 11-28-2019, 10:42 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 33
Thanks (Received): 37
Likes (Given): 64
Likes (Received): 87
'14 Deluxe Platinum 30 season start-up

This morning I had time to prepare for another winter, now at hand.

The motor on this one is the AX414 (LCT.) It was time for fresh oil, spark plug, and first fuel since probably March of this year.

Needed a new aluminum crush washer as the old one was weeping. Not an Ariens dealer open so I grabbed one close in size at the local hardware store. Had to open-up the hole a little, got that done with a multi-flute countersink. Filed it perfectly flat, now nice & snug. Dropped 38oz of 10W-30, changed out the spark plug for a new NGK BPR6ES. Checked tension on cables, tire pressures, greased all the fittings.

Took it out of the (walk-in) cellar and filled it with fresh 87 octane fuel. Turn fuel valve on and it breaks! Second time in 5 years of owning it. Where to buy?

Last one I'm buying, going to make an aluminum one.

Did get it turned on. Four pumps of the fuel primer, throttle on full, choke off (machine is warm enough from being in the cellar. Started first pull, runs perfect.

2015 Ariens Deluxe 28+ 921037, 414cc LCT (now son's)
2014 Ariens Platinum 30 921029, 414cc LCT (mine forever)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 11-28-2019, 03:29 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 66
Thanks (Received): 123
Likes (Given): 114
Likes (Received): 157
Garage
Mine broke too at the fitting in the tank early in my ownership. I don't know if Ariens have a more rugged version. I changed the tank to B$S 6 liter tank which has a much more rugged fitting in the tank and a separate fuel shut off valve.

If I was going to keep the small tank i would put a small right angled fitting in the threaded tank and a hose fitting at other end and use a separate fuel shut off valve and an inline fuel filter to replace the screen in the original fitting. The tank at fitting point is lowered from the tank floor.

Good luck for this season.

2015 Ariens Platinum 30 SHO - model 921040
post #3 of 5 Old 11-28-2019, 06:43 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Originally Posted by Town View Post
Mine broke too at the fitting in the tank early in my ownership. I don't know if Ariens have a more rugged version. I changed the tank to B$S 6 liter tank which has a much more rugged fitting in the tank and a separate fuel shut off valve.

If I was going to keep the small tank i would put a small right angled fitting in the threaded tank and a hose fitting at other end and use a separate fuel shut off valve and an inline fuel filter to replace the screen in the original fitting. The tank at fitting point is lowered from the tank floor.

Good luck for this season.
Thanks, but there's no way I'm going to alter the machine that radically. The fuel capacity I have now isn't great, but the only time I had to refuel before the job was done was in that stretch of winter 2013-2014 when we had gotten 111" of snow and most of it during 7 weeks between the end of January and mid-March 2014.

The first time this happened two years ago, it was a matter of the ethanol in the fuel had made the hose that the on-off knob pinches closed too stiff, and I think that's probably what happened again, even though I absolutely do have it dry of all fuel during the off-season. I would look into a minor change to the fuel cutoff changed from the factory hose-pinch to an actual valve, but being a machinist I would make it look "factory".

post #4 of 5 Old 11-29-2019, 10:09 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 66
Thanks (Received): 123
Likes (Given): 114
Likes (Received): 157
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by PixMan View Post
The first time this happened two years ago, it was a matter of the ethanol in the fuel had made the hose that the on-off knob pinches closed too stiff, and I think that's probably what happened again, even though I absolutely do have it dry of all fuel during the off-season. I would look into a minor change to the fuel cutoff changed from the factory hose-pinch to an actual valve, but being a machinist I would make it look "factory".
Your fuel shut-off sounds different to the one on my Platinum. On mine there was a normal valve screwed into tank with a hose that attached to the outlet side. You can see it in attached pic.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	LCT 3 liter fuel delivery to carb.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	276.0 KB
ID:	159869  

2015 Ariens Platinum 30 SHO - model 921040
post #5 of 5 Old 11-29-2019, 01:07 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Originally Posted by Town View Post
Your fuel shut-off sounds different to the one on my Platinum. On mine there was a normal valve screwed into tank with a hose that attached to the outlet side. You can see it in attached pic.
Min is indeed different from that. When I get back to working on it, I'll get photos. Believe me, I want mine to look like that when I get done other than it'll be hidden behind the cover and a "switch" on the front will look like the original but of much stronger plastic.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page