Tried everything I know - No Forward or backward - Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 Old 11-29-2019, 08:23 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 0
Unhappy Tried everything I know - No Forward or backward

I have a 2005 Ariens 924125 11528LE snowblower. I really like this machine. This year for some reason it will not go forward or backward like it used to. I used to put it in 6 gear and the thing was dragging me around. Now in 6 gear it won't move especially if I'm trying to blow 3" of snow. I have done the following adjustments... Change the traction belt, the friction disk, the spring on the traction handle, changed the idler wheel on the drive chain, tightened the cable from the traction handle to the friction disk adjuster, tightened the nut on the friction wheel adjuster, made sure the gear selector was at the right position and tight with the selector in high reverse for the adjustment, checked all related springs that have to do with traction. Don't know what to do now? Ant suggestions? I may have to take it in to my local dealer...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 11-29-2019, 09:31 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 147
Likes (Received): 538
Could only be due to a couple things:

The belt for the drive is slipping or not being engaged by the idler pulley properly, or an actual keyway issue on the engine drive shaft pulley.

The drive plate is not spinning under load, i.e. not secured to the drive shaft properly.

The friction disc and drive disc are not being drawn together properly.

The friction disc is not spinning the axle system, or both wheels are not engaged with the axle itself.

Last edited by oneacer; 11-29-2019 at 10:52 AM.
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 2 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes aldfam4, rod330 liked this post
post #3 of 11 Old 11-29-2019, 09:55 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 81
Thanks (Received): 212
Likes (Given): 66
Likes (Received): 767
I've found on those old 924's that the aluminum disc that rides up and contacts the rubber drive disc gets seized and doesn't ride up and contact the rubber donut when you squezze the lever. I spray the bearing with PB Blast and carefully move it up and down with a crowbar until it's free, then spray with lithium grease.
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 3 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes Kiss4aFrog, aldfam4, Shaw351 liked this post
post #4 of 11 Old 11-29-2019, 12:29 PM
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 586
Thanks (Received): 765
Likes (Given): 4338
Likes (Received): 1727
Garage
to SBF Louis

Make sure the windows are up before the snow plow goes by !!

Please help keep the lights on by subscribing:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 11 Old 11-29-2019, 02:37 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 59
Thanks (Received): 71
Likes (Given): 58
Likes (Received): 183
with the belly pan off, see whats happening when u engage the drive system, dont keep throwing parts at it until diagnose whats not working and the easiest way to do that is by visual inspection of the drive system when its actively engaged.
if you post a video of it doing this we might see whats wrong

Bought a dead but now fixed 1980ish craftsman II 10/28....ITS ONE HEAVY BEAST

MY VIDS ON FIXIN HER UP

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by vinnycom; 11-29-2019 at 02:39 PM.
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 1 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes aldfam4 liked this post
post #6 of 11 Old 11-29-2019, 04:06 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 53
Likes (Received): 65
Also, you may need to adjust the drive cable. You may not be getting enough pull, to engage the friction wheel.

Ariens ST11528LE
Honda HS720
post #7 of 11 Old 12-09-2019, 07:07 PM

Post Thanks / Like
I have the same symptoms on a 24 inch wide Ariens. Model number is 920014

The traction disc was looking kind of beat up, and there was lots of rubber dust inside the bottom cover, so I replaced the disc. However, when I push down the lever to put it in gear, it surges a few inches and stops. That's what it was doing, before I replaced the traction disc, a few minutes before it failed completely. Anyway, I tried pulling pretty hard on the cable in case I just needed more pull, but that didn't change anything. I didn't hear any unusual noises while doing this. I don't recall whether it was on the auger drive or the wheel drive, but I think it used to make a little skid noise when engaging.

I suppose oneacer's advice in post 2 probably applies to my snowblower as well? I'm hoping maybe it's just that the idler pulley arm is stuck or something, so that I don't have to take everything apart.

Any advise beyond oneacer's is appreciated.

Thanks,

Lincoln
post #8 of 11 Old 12-09-2019, 07:52 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 147
Likes (Received): 538
@rnlo,

First, you might want to check that machine, as back in the day, that model had a recall for possible fire issue, but I guess if it's fine, you are probably fine.

As far as that Friction Disc, it is the Drive Plate that is drawn to the fixed friction disc. Make sure the drive plate return spring is properly functioning, and the drive plate indeed is coming into the friction disc when depressing the handle. A cable adjustment may be required? or something maybe broke or bent?

You can look at the schematic here if you don't have the one that came with it:

https://www.partstree.com/models/920...000101-034999/
post #9 of 11 Old 12-09-2019, 08:33 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 96
Thanks (Received): 196
Likes (Given): 75
Likes (Received): 460
Garage
You have to make sure the friction disk is dropping down and meeting with the friction plate.

1986 Ariens ST522, 5hp, 22"
1995 Murray Craftsman 10hp, 29" w. 12" impeller
A 1983 Real John Deere 10hp, 32" w. 12" impeller, 16" auger, 20" high front, cast iron gear box, chains
Noma 9hp, 27" w. 12" impeller
Noma 5hp, 24" w. 12" impeller, 20" high front
Gravely Convertible, 12hp Kohler cast iron, 26" width, 600 lbs of cast iron & steel, 2 speed impeller, 4 ground speeds
Dynamark 8hp, 26", 12" impeller, for sale
Several other 5hp, 8hp, several 2 cycle, all for sale
post #10 of 11 Old 12-10-2019, 08:59 PM

Post Thanks / Like
oneacer:
Thanks for the heads up on the recall. I checked the serial number, though, and I should be ok. Those exploded diagrams were quite useful, and better than what's in the manual. Especially when I was trying to remember if there had been a spring at a particular spot which wasn't there any more. There was. It would have been a lot easier to find if the rubber dust on it had been a different color. However, I'll stop now instead of going into a blow by blow account.

As it turns out, the traction belt had stretched or worn so much that the idler pulley ran out of travel. So I replaced the belt. I also replaced the other belt, since I had it open. Now seems to work fine, though by the time it was fixed almost all of the snow had melted! Thinking about skipping forward to April.

Thanks to the authors of both responses.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page