LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 Old 11-29-2019, 07:01 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 1
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 0
Ariens Eagle Eyes Needed

I was trolling around Craigslist, like I'm sure most of us do, trying to find the ultimate deal or machine. I found an ad for a dual stick Ariens, which seems like it could be the ideal machine for someone that doesn't mind putting in some work to make the machine timeless. Here's my issue, this machine is about 2+ hours away from me, so I can't just go to check it out. The guy is claiming the typical carb issues but says the paint is almost flawless & factory. He's asking for $100 (recently down from $150), so maybe not a "holy S, why don't these deals happen to me price", but maybe a fair price. I feel I may be wearing out my welcome with him. I asked if he was sure it was a carb issue, he stated the machine runs and it is the carb. I asked if it has been repainted or touched up, he stated only the fuel tank has been painted. The pictures on his ad are junk. I asked for additional photos, he sent the ones in his ad. Trying to analyze the photos, the logo is missing on the bucket, which I would normally think was painted over, but the warning stickers are there. If you look at the chute, the hardware appears painted orange, maybe it is just me. I don't believe the hardware would be painted. I'm mainly concerned about running in to a reconditioned blower, someone's flip project. Does anyone else see things that raise red flags? I was hoping the guy would actually do me a solid and send me some real photos of this. Any input would be greatly appreciated.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3699.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	114.6 KB
ID:	159923   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3702.JPG
Views:	45
Size:	29.5 KB
ID:	159925   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3700b.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	113.4 KB
ID:	159927  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 11-29-2019, 07:21 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 150
Likes (Given): 1
Likes (Received): 543
Appears to be the 924 series. Bucket has been repainted, or that machine was never used. I am sure it needs a carb, but they are cheap. It does look well maintained, and if it runs, good deal at 100.00.

Might need a friction disc, and possibly the drive idler tension spring, and a set of XTrac tires. If you are capable of turning a wrench, willing to buy it for 100.00, put 100.00 in parts, doing labor yourself, then I think you would have a nice machine there, with many more years of service.

Again, provided no serious damage to it. JMHO
post #3 of 9 Old 11-29-2019, 07:30 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 80
Thanks (Received): 47
Likes (Given): 277
Likes (Received): 157
It's impossible to be certain with those terrible photos. While it appears to be original any twin stick will show some markings on the auger and bucket unless it's been repainted or in storage since new. Fuzzy photos are a real alarm bell and certainly not worth a 2+ hour drive to be disappointed. In this day and age of smartphones there's no excuse to post such photos.

Twin stick Ariens are my absolute favorites and I've refurbished many. However, if you're looking to refurbish and resell, I wouldn't drive 5 minutes to buy one....there's just no demand in my area for these old girls. I've been lucky enough to sell two this fall but only to old timers like myself who recognize the quality. If you looking to buy, refurbish and use for your own purposes, be patient and keep looking....they pop up frequently. Your grandchildren will be using them 50 years from now if properly maintained.

I can barely resell a completely refurbished twin stick for $150 so nobody is going to pay $100 for one with a carb problem and probably other issues. My recommendation is to keep shopping.
Post Thanks / Like - 1 Thanks, 0 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Thanks Ian Ariens 924 thanked for this post
post #4 of 9 Old 11-29-2019, 07:35 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 1
Thanks (Received): 42
Likes (Given): 8
Likes (Received): 182
Quote:
Originally Posted by rod330 View Post
It's impossible to be certain with those terrible photos. .... Fuzzy photos are a real alarm bell and certainly not worth a 2+ hour drive to be disappointed. In this day and age of smartphones there's no excuse to post such photos.
My thoughts exactly. If this seller is too lazy to go out and take some decent photos to send to an interested buyer I'd walk away from that. Regardless of the state of the machine, people like that are more trouble to deal with than to make it worthwhile dealing with them.
post #5 of 9 Old 11-29-2019, 08:06 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
I appreciate the input and insight. I may just push this guy for some real photos. If I piss him off, not like he’s my neighbor. Wish I could just put eyes on this thing. I’m not an old coot but appreciate the workmanship in these old machines and the simple mechanical assemblies that make them work. As background, I’m looking for one of these as my primary machine. Ideally, I’d like to have one in good condition I could run for a while before doing a full restoration or repower. Seems my market is overpriced. Surely see them cheap in Wisconsin and apparently the market is thin in Ohio.

Last edited by Chacho; 11-29-2019 at 08:35 PM.
post #6 of 9 Old 11-30-2019, 12:11 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 16
Thanks (Received): 86
Likes (Given): 241
Likes (Received): 202
A running 8hp 924 with the cast iron gearbox + teardrop bucket for $100? It might be worth the drive.

It would have been a plastic Ariens emblem on the bucket and not a decal, so it may not have been painted but rather fallen off.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #7 of 9 Old 11-30-2019, 08:40 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 19
Likes (Given): 3
Likes (Received): 58
Looks to have potential for sure. The one deal breaker would be if it does not have differential drive lock out.

Becoming more rare to find. In the last 3 years I only came across 4 of these and still have them all. I had over 150 snow blower come across my shop during that time. Good luck. Hope you get it.
post #8 of 9 Old 11-30-2019, 01:45 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Okay, I got the guy to cough up some decent pictures. It seems this one has the locking hub. I'm assuming the fuel tank was a John Deere yellow tank that was painted and put on this machine. Do you guys see things that would indicate a repaint and/or flip? The hardware on the chute should not be orange, right? Also, where the handle connects to the tractor, should those studs be orange? Any additional thoughts?

Thanks again.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3704.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	147.8 KB
ID:	159987   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3706.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	182.9 KB
ID:	159989   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3705b.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	201.3 KB
ID:	159993   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3708.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	208.8 KB
ID:	159999  

Last edited by Chacho; 11-30-2019 at 02:09 PM. Reason: Photo Update
post #9 of 9 Old 11-30-2019, 04:12 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 81
Thanks (Received): 212
Likes (Given): 66
Likes (Received): 767
Why would you be concerned if it was repainted or flipped? No one is going to the effort of going through a machine , painting it , and then selling it for $100. It is well worth the $100, so if you don't mind driving ...go get it....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page