Ariens 8526 - Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 Old 12-02-2019, 07:50 PM Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: New Hampshire
Posts: 17
Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 2
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 0
Ariens 8526

I picked up a pretty much brand new Ariens 8526 tonight. My question is, is the impeller suppose to turn “freely” even while the machine is off??? Or is something broken?

Model- 932105
Serial- 002972
Tecumseh- LH318SA


Not sure on the age or anything. But besides that impeller, the machine looks like it was never even touched. Like right off the showroom floor.
ntomsw is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 11 Old 12-02-2019, 08:02 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 1,662
Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 150
Likes (Given): 1
Likes (Received): 543
You can check online in that machines schematic, but most impellers are held on the impeller shaft with 2 roll pins.

If they are sheared, many times the remnants are still in the shaft. It can be worked on while in the housing, but way easier to pull the off the bucket, and take out the auger assembly. Would be a good time to also check all the bearings, bushings, and make sure the augers are free spinning and have the correct shear pins.

Just sayin ….. JMHO

Last edited by oneacer; 12-02-2019 at 08:05 PM.
oneacer is online now  
post #3 of 11 Old 12-02-2019, 08:09 PM Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: New Hampshire
Posts: 17
Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 2
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by oneacer View Post
You can check online in that machines schematic, but most impellers are held on the impeller shaft with 2 roll pins.

If they are sheared, many times the remnants are still in the shaft. It can be worked on while in the housing, but way easier to pull the off the bucket, and take out the auger assembly. Would be a good time to also check all the bearings, bushings, and make sure the augers are free spinning and have the correct shear pins.

Just sayin ….. JMHO

Ok, so you’re saying the impeller is NOT suppose to turn freely, and something is broken? Because I don’t see any pins at all in the IMPELLER shaft. Not auger shaft. Impeller shaft.

Augers spin freely? They aren’t suppose to spin freely.
ntomsw is offline  
post #4 of 11 Old 12-03-2019, 02:13 AM Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: New Hampshire
Posts: 17
Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 2
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 0
Anyone??
ntomsw is offline  
post #5 of 11 Old 12-03-2019, 09:47 PM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Posts: 11
Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 1
No, the impeller should not spin freely. See the picture of my 8526 augers. Notice the chrome nut in the middle of the augers. That shear pin holds the auger and keeps it from spinning.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20191203_214401_1575427601800.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	123.0 KB
ID:	160239  
infiniti30 is offline  
post #6 of 11 Old 12-03-2019, 09:59 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: ma
Posts: 1,288
Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 32
Thanks (Received): 99
Likes (Given): 68
Likes (Received): 223
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by infiniti30 View Post
No, the impeller should not spin freely. See the picture of my 8526 augers. Notice the chrome nut in the middle of the augers. That shear pin holds the auger and keeps it from spinning.

Those are the rakes not he impeller
1132le is offline  
post #7 of 11 Old 12-03-2019, 10:01 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: ma
Posts: 1,288
Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 32
Thanks (Received): 99
Likes (Given): 68
Likes (Received): 223
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ntomsw View Post
Anyone??



You should be able to turn it by hand but with some resistance it shouldn't spin by itself
1132le is offline  
post #8 of 11 Old 12-03-2019, 10:08 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Location: NE Minnesota
Posts: 89
Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 8
Likes (Given): 1
Likes (Received): 27
With the engine off, and the plug wire removed! engage the auger control lever and keep in that position (may have to have someone help you here if you don't have a strap). Then reach into the housing and see if it spins. If is does not, you should be good to go.
If it does spin, then like others have stated, the roll pins on the impeller have sheared (not likely) or perhaps the woodruff key has sheared on the pulley behind the impeller.
check this out and let us know what you found.
Robert
bbwb is offline  
post #9 of 11 Old 12-03-2019, 10:13 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Ma.
Posts: 2,246
Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 127
Thanks (Received): 195
Likes (Given): 469
Likes (Received): 816
Auger Belt Probably Needs Adjustment or Replacing.







Global Warming is a Hoax
Jackmels is online now  
post #10 of 11 Old 12-03-2019, 10:18 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: ma
Posts: 1,288
Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 32
Thanks (Received): 99
Likes (Given): 68
Likes (Received): 223
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbwb View Post
With the engine off, and the plug wire removed! engage the auger control lever and keep in that position (may have to have someone help you here if you don't have a strap). Then reach into the housing and see if it spins. If is does not, you should be good to go.
If it does spin, then like others have stated, the roll pins on the impeller have sheared (not likely) or perhaps the woodruff key has sheared on the pulley behind the impeller.
check this out and let us know what you found.
Robert

it can still spin if the belt is junk or mis adjusted what he needs is resistance

someone who needs help with this prolly can't tell if the belt is adjusted correctly and think his pins are toast
1132le is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome