LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 21 Old 12-14-2019, 10:09 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 0
tecumseh surging

Hello all. Merry Christmas. This is what I have: Ariens 1332LE with SnowKing Tecumseh OH358SA, 223842F. DOM is 05253CB0037. The best I can tell is that the current carb is a model 640105. As I remember (??) it ran OK last winter. Now it surges bad (some people call it hunting). My first question is: how do you get the carb off? It has only 2 bolts that are torx heads and there is no room for a torx tool. Maybe there is a special thin torx tool? Anyway that will get me started. I actually got the bolts loose by using vicegrip pliers...don't like to do that and don't want to do that to tighten then back on. Any one else have this problem? John
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 Old 12-14-2019, 11:15 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 80
Thanks (Received): 47
Likes (Given): 275
Likes (Received): 156
On some models it's easier to remove the intake manifold at the engine rather than removing the carb from the manifold. Can you post any photos? It normally doesn't require special tools or techniques to remove a Tecumseh carb in my experience.
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 1 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes tadawson liked this post
post #3 of 21 Old 12-14-2019, 11:31 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Originally Posted by rod330 View Post
On some models it's easier to remove the intake manifold at the engine rather than removing the carb from the manifold. Can you post any photos? It normally doesn't require special tools or techniques to remove a Tecumseh carb in my experience.
Hi rod330. If necessary I'll take some pic and try to post. But this engine doesn't have an intake manifold. The carb bolts directly to the engine. I found a diagram and it also didn't show a manifold.
post #4 of 21 Old 12-14-2019, 11:40 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 32
Thanks (Received): 99
Likes (Given): 68
Likes (Received): 223
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by colosnow View Post
Hello all. Merry Christmas. This is what I have: Ariens 1332LE with SnowKing Tecumseh OH358SA, 223842F. DOM is 05253CB0037. The best I can tell is that the current carb is a model 640105. As I remember (??) it ran OK last winter. Now it surges bad (some people call it hunting). My first question is: how do you get the carb off? It has only 2 bolts that are torx heads and there is no room for a torx tool. Maybe there is a special thin torx tool? Anyway that will get me started. I actually got the bolts loose by using vicegrip pliers...don't like to do that and don't want to do that to tighten then back on. Any one else have this problem? John

as i recall you put them on the other direction and then have room to get at them better
you can also get rid of the torx if you choose
I had the same blower
clean the carb or buy a new one for 14 bucks
I raised engine rpm to 3825 rpm with imp kit was throwing close to 60 feet great motor 17 ish lb ft torq always started 1 pull
post #5 of 21 Old 12-14-2019, 11:52 PM

Post Thanks / Like
If you get lucky, this little trick can solve surging issues without having to remove the carb....something to try. You'll still want to drain out the old fuel, remove the carb bowl and clean it at a bare minimum.

And, Merry Christmas!
post #6 of 21 Old 12-14-2019, 11:55 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks 1132le. Can't put bolts in reverse...they bolt directly to block...no manifold and no way to get to "other side". I replaced torx bolts with allen head bolts and can use ball-end allen wrenches to tighten them up, but only can hope it got them tight enough. Haven't started it yet to see if carb cleaning fixed the surge problem. Spark plug did indicate lean mixture ( white). No way to vent garage so will move outdoors tomorrow to start and check out. But am still really wondering about how others got those bolts out? See ya all back here tomorrow.
post #7 of 21 Old 12-15-2019, 12:03 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 32
Thanks (Received): 99
Likes (Given): 68
Likes (Received): 223
Garage
Quote:
Thanks 1132le. Can't put bolts in reverse...they bolt directly to block...no manifold and no way to get to "other side". I replaced torx bolts with allen head bolts and can use ball-end allen wrenches to tighten them up, but only can hope it got them tight enough. Haven't started it yet to see if carb cleaning fixed the surge problem. Spark plug did indicate lean mixture ( white). No way to vent garage so will move outdoors tomorrow to start and check out. But am still really wondering about how others got those bolts out? See ya all back here tomorrow.

i was talking about the carb to manifold bolts
dont over tighten those its not the space shuttle

Last edited by 1132le; 12-15-2019 at 12:05 AM.
post #8 of 21 Old 12-15-2019, 12:07 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Maybe something like this....not sure it would have enough torque to break loose a really tight screw. I think your ball head allen wrench idea is a better solution. You just have to make sure it's tight enough to prevent air leaks.

post #9 of 21 Old 12-15-2019, 12:07 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
PS: I tried hex head bolts, but the hex head was too large and hit the carb body and couldn't be turned. I looked for "small head hex head bolts, but couldn't find them at ACE hardware. I guess I could take a torx bit, cut it shorter, and use an open end wrench to turn it...I might try that later!
post #10 of 21 Old 12-15-2019, 01:56 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 2
Likes (Given): 9
Likes (Received): 5
It might be your governor causing over-rev and then slowing it back down. Kinda tricky to get those adjusted if that's what it is.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page