LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 20 Old 12-15-2019, 01:25 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 4
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 2
Friction disk out of the adjuster fork?

I'm working on a 5524, (seems about 10 years old), and after putting a new carb on, she's running great. Auger spins strong. And after a quick check of the drive - she jumps into action and drives strong - I noticed that it ONLY goes in reverse. Quick look at the friction disk adjuster connection where it ...dives into the enclosed section of the underside of the blower, and noticed it looked bent. Hmmm. (See 1st pic).

Got inside and notice the adjuster disk was not lodged into the adjuster fork. (See 2nd pic).

Question is: Can I somehow move stuff around to get the adjuster disk back into place in the fork, or do I have to pull the whole axle out to be able to move things back into place?

Thank you,

Jay
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4108.JPG
Views:	43
Size:	104.7 KB
ID:	160989   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4109.JPG
Views:	38
Size:	126.2 KB
ID:	160991  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 Old 12-15-2019, 01:36 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 201
Thanks (Received): 126
Likes (Given): 413
Likes (Received): 266
You would be better off to unbolt the bearings for the axle to get enough play to move the axle around to get the clearance you need to get it back in place.
You might be able to flex the forks out far enough to get it back in place but if you do that, you will have to make sure the forks are squeezed back in place tight enough, or that will happen again.
That can happen when the fork flexes out by forcing the shift lever to move when it is engaged to the drive plate.
Be careful when you flex/bend the fork because you can weaken it by doing that. Once it weakens, it will flex out easier and that will happen more often.
There are usually washers on the bearing holder pins between the fork and bearing holder assembly that moves your friction wheel to take up some play or space between the two of them and to keep the fork from becoming stuck against flat parts of the bearing holder.

Last edited by ST1100A; 12-15-2019 at 02:25 PM.
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 1 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes 87powershiftx2 liked this post
post #3 of 20 Old 12-15-2019, 01:37 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 149
Likes (Received): 540
Wow, …. that thing sure looks f....d up … You are probably going to want to put that in the service position and do some detective work and find out why things are all bent up. Then you will know what has to be done to correct it, and to prevent it from happening in the future.

" she jumps into action and drives strong " …. evidently not if it won't move forward … just sayin …
post #4 of 20 Old 12-15-2019, 02:30 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 201
Thanks (Received): 126
Likes (Given): 413
Likes (Received): 266
That's what I was thinking. That is thicker sheat steel on the frame that's bent. That shouldn't bend that easy.
Something really put a lot of pressure on it to bend the frame piece like that. He will have to straighten that out and get the other end of the fork shaft back into its place otherwise it will jump right off the bearing holder for the friction driven disc wheel.
The shift lever was probably really forced/jammed to make it shift. Dry shifting could possibly do that also.
Likes 87powershiftx2 liked this post
post #5 of 20 Old 12-15-2019, 03:41 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Originally Posted by oneacer View Post
Wow, …. that thing sure looks f....d up … You are probably going to want to put that in the service position and do some detective work and find out why things are all bent up. Then you will know what has to be done to correct it, and to prevent it from happening in the future.

" she jumps into action and drives strong " …. evidently not if it won't move forward … just sayin …
Dont disagree. It will move forward or backward extremely well ---- when that adjuster friction wheel is in the proper place. Just can't 'adjust' it at the moment.

Can't tell if that speed control arm is bent or if it's supposed to have that ...pitch to it. Can't find an image of it online. See pic here, pls:

Jay
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4113.JPG
Views:	35
Size:	189.3 KB
ID:	161019   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4114.JPG
Views:	31
Size:	192.8 KB
ID:	161021  
post #6 of 20 Old 12-15-2019, 03:48 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 149
Likes (Received): 540
That machine looks like it was dropped from a pick up truck a couple times, or someone really beat on it good …. just sayin …
Likes hammer6315 liked this post
post #7 of 20 Old 12-15-2019, 05:33 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Originally Posted by oneacer View Post
That machine looks like it was dropped from a pick up truck a couple times, or someone really beat on it good …. just sayin …
Well, other than just takin' a useless dump on my clients machine, do you have any useful inputs?
post #8 of 20 Old 12-15-2019, 05:37 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 6
Thanks (Received): 52
Likes (Given): 44
Likes (Received): 71
I just fixed one with this issue, the 2 bent out tabs that hold the shifter shaft move slowly making it sloppy and helps the shaft pop out at its end. when all apart I bent the tabs alittle closer together. So when it’s all back together there’s less movement. And remember that there are washers that go between the fork and sliding mechanism.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Post Thanks / Like - 1 Thanks, 0 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Thanks jaytpilk thanked for this post
post #9 of 20 Old 12-15-2019, 05:42 PM
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 18
Thanks (Received): 99
Likes (Given): 729
Likes (Received): 255
i would take it apart straighten those tabs ,IMM my money is on it having been force shifted while under power.
Post Thanks / Like - 2 Thanks, 0 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Thanks jaytpilk, Kiss4aFrog thanked for this post
post #10 of 20 Old 12-15-2019, 06:01 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 127
Thanks (Received): 194
Likes (Given): 468
Likes (Received): 816
The Shifter may have gotten Bent From it being in a truck Not secured, and it rolled into the tailgate. Have Patience Re-installing the Wheel....It's Quite a Balancing Act to Get it back on the fork while Keeping the washers in place. GLW Repair

The Ignore List Takes out the Trash
Likes Kiss4aFrog liked this post
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page