LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 55 Old 12-17-2019, 01:30 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 13
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 50
Adding Hour / Tach Meter

Found these RunLeader hour/Tach meters made for small engine's, like lawnmowers, snow blowers, etc.... This particular one offers a few extras such as IP67 submersible water rating, clock/time, hour, tachometer, job time, RPM alarm, and 2 programmable maintenance alarms. It's $23.00 and only requires a single wire wrapped around the spark plug. Comes with your choice of 3 different color buttons (black, blue, or red). This would fit on my Ariens Pro RapidTrak 926078 control panel without covering or blocking anything. Can be mounted several different ways, including with 2 screws from underneath, zip tied, velcro, etc....
I've looked at a bunch of different hour meters, both by this company and others, but was wondering if anyone has used these or any other brands and what your thoughts were. I like to be able to keep track of hours and tachometer is a bonus. All recommendations, experiences, or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

2019 Ariens Pro 28" RapidTrac
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 55 Old 12-17-2019, 01:31 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Here's the link:

http://www.run-leader.com/index.php?...11/196/202/271

post #3 of 55 Old 12-17-2019, 02:13 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 202
Thanks (Received): 126
Likes (Given): 419
Likes (Received): 266
$23 is not a bad price for them. You can even replace the battery on it when it goes bad. There are a lot of other companies that make the tach/hourmeters but you cant replace the battery on them easily, and some are more expensive. I like the menu on this one that you can set for different things.
They are worth it for adjusting the governor and especially maintenance for the machine with the hour meter to keep it logged.
post #4 of 55 Old 12-17-2019, 06:16 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 10
Likes (Received): 27
This one does seem to be more sophisticated than most of these in this price range. Good catch.

Ariens 1124DLE
(*sold:Ariens ST27LE)
(*sold: John Deere TRS21)
Toro 821
post #5 of 55 Old 12-17-2019, 07:35 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Yea. This company has a lot of various types of gages, including hour meters. The difference in price vs the $20.00 model, from what I can tell, is the IP 65 vs IP 67 rating. For $2.00 more, this model seems a better deal. I just ordered it. I'll post some pics.
post #6 of 55 Old 12-17-2019, 10:25 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 33
Likes (Given): 116
Likes (Received): 71
I have this one, although mine came from China https://www.thesawlab.com/best-chainsaw-tachometer/

Itís ok but not great.

Itís slow as **** in cold weather and I can never remember which button to press to get it to illuminate. I usually get it wrong and end up cycling through the display options to get it back to hours. Because itís so slow, you need to press the button and wait for something to happen. If you get impatient and press again, you find that it skips past the display you wanted, and you start the frustrating process again.

For me, it was a nice idea up until the point of installation and use.

Instead I went back to the old method: Every time I come in from blowing, I inform the approx run time to my wife, and she writes it on the wall calendar. It takes 3 minutes at the end of the season to add it all up and make a total for the winter. Checking through the calendar also brings back memories of particular snow storms, various snowblower related happenings and funny events. Itís a chance to laugh and enjoy the relief that another winter is done, and spring is on the way. Some things are better done in the old fashioned way.
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 1 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes notabiker liked this post
post #7 of 55 Old 12-17-2019, 03:08 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 1
Thanks (Received): 9
Likes (Given): 27
Likes (Received): 15
I have a plain hour meter on my dirt bike which only reads the engine run time. I bought the hour meter from some Chinese Ebay site for a few-four dollars. Just like you describe- wrap the wire around the spark plug wire.

Odd thing about the Chinese hour meter, is that it runs about 10 or 15% faster (more time logged) than the Yamaha's ECU clock. Not a big deal because all I want to know is an "about" hour number.

For your hour meter, I like the idea of the built in tach. Might have to get one of those. I could use it to verify operating rpm of snowblower, boat motor, etc.
post #8 of 55 Old 12-17-2019, 04:21 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 33
Thanks (Received): 66
Likes (Given): 116
Likes (Received): 138
I bought a Hardline tach hour meter that wraps around the plug wire..I don't keep it on a machine but use it to check rpm of various machines... Weather proof with a ten year battery...Max rpm memory etc Online from Walmart.. think I paid close to 40 bucks for it

Sent from my LM-Q710.FG using Tapatalk
post #9 of 55 Old 12-17-2019, 04:35 PM

Location: Magnetic Hill, New Brunswick Canada Average snowfall (111.0'')282.0cms
Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 6
Thanks (Received): 125
Likes (Given): 43
Likes (Received): 905
I have one similar, been on there for last 4 years. It automatically switches to RPM while running and to hours when stopped for about a minute then shuts off.

https://www.ebay.ca/itm/Digital-Engi...item521ddea6a9

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
''Never drive faster than your guardian ANGEL can fly''
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Coby7; 12-17-2019 at 04:39 PM.
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 1 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes 88-tek liked this post
post #10 of 55 Old 12-17-2019, 06:42 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lunta View Post
I have this one, although mine came from China https://www.thesawlab.com/best-chainsaw-tachometer/

Itís ok but not great.

Itís slow as **** in cold weather and I can never remember which button to press to get it to illuminate. I usually get it wrong and end up cycling through the display options to get it back to hours. Because itís so slow, you need to press the button and wait for something to happen. If you get impatient and press again, you find that it skips past the display you wanted, and you start the frustrating process again.

For me, it was a nice idea up until the point of installation and use.

Instead I went back to the old method: Every time I come in from blowing, I inform the approx run time to my wife, and she writes it on the wall calendar. It takes 3 minutes at the end of the season to add it all up and make a total for the winter. Checking through the calendar also brings back memories of particular snow storms, various snowblower related happenings and funny events. Itís a chance to laugh and enjoy the relief that another winter is done, and spring is on the way. Some things are better done in the old fashioned way.

That's funny. I could see the same thing happening to me if this meter is too complicated. I like that it shows the time and hours ran when turned off, not running. Than when you fire up your machine it displays "RPM's" in the large , main display. I'll post pictures and let everyone know if it's any good. For $23.00, if it is confusing or annoying, I'll put it in my tool box and use it for strictly for verifying "RPM's" on various equipment.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page