LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 19 Old 12-21-2019, 12:23 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 15
Thanks (Received): 9
Likes (Given): 1
Likes (Received): 14
glue for heated grips

I put heated grips on my 28 Deluxe and they came loose and I fell back on my butt with grips in hand
I think I used glue for motorcycle grips - obviously it gets soft when hot... not good.
What's the correct adhesive to use?

Craftsman 5/22 with impeller mod & poly skids,
Ariens 28+ Deluxe 921037 AX291
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 Old 12-21-2019, 12:32 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 148
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 540
Probably want something like this:

https://www.lowes.com/pd/IMPERIAL-2-...E&gclsrc=aw.ds
post #3 of 19 Old 12-21-2019, 02:03 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 172
Thanks (Received): 335
Likes (Given): 472
Likes (Received): 831
How tight & sticky was the fit initially? I wonder if no glue might be better than glue that softens when it gets warm?

I'd be a bit concerned with using a really strong glue, in case you later wanted to remove the grips. Something like JB Weld would certainly be strong enough (there is a lot of available surface area). An epoxy would probably be the same. But I suspect they would be difficult to dissolve/remove later.

If the rubber was fairly grippy initially, you could maybe using rubbing alcohol to make it easier to slide the grips onto the handles. If you felt it could stick by itself, just rubber to the handles.

Ariens 1024 Pro
Toro Power Clear 221QR
Toro Power Curve 1800
post #4 of 19 Old 12-21-2019, 02:38 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 2
Thanks (Received): 17
Likes (Given): 6
Likes (Received): 70
Apply hairspray (extra hold?) to the metal handlebar (only) then slip on the hand-grip; wiping away any excess spray. Allow it to cure overnight. This is the process used to hold heated or non-heated hand-grips onto motorcycle handlebars.
Post Thanks / Like - 1 Thanks, 0 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Thanks Kiss4aFrog thanked for this post
post #5 of 19 Old 12-22-2019, 12:00 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 13
Likes (Received): 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by badbmwbrad View Post
Apply hairspray (extra hold?) to the metal handlebar (only) then slip on the hand-grip; wiping away any excess spray. Allow it to cure overnight. This is the process used to hold heated or non-heated hand-grips onto motorcycle handlebars.
Yup. Hairspray works pretty good as mentioned above, as long as the fit is pretty close to begin with. If the fit is loose, hairspray won't do it.

2019 Ariens Pro 28" RapidTrac
Post Thanks / Like - 1 Thanks, 0 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Thanks ST1100A thanked for this post
post #6 of 19 Old 12-23-2019, 10:38 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 1
Likes (Given): 27
Likes (Received): 15
IMO motorcycle grip glue and other motorcycle techniques would be a bad idea for fastening the heated grips. The Ariens grips get pretty warm and will very likely soften the contact adhesives commonly used for motorcycle grips.

But so to the OP's question- The heated grips come with a small epoxy adhesive kit- Did you use it? If not, then you should do so. Regardless, before you start over again, you're going to need to clean off the motorcycle grip glue from your handlebars and from the insides of the grips real good. And then use an epoxy adhesive which can handle the heat. As an additional "belts and suspenders", you can add two small screws per grip using the two holes in the grips.

Good luck with it, and keep the faith- The Ariens heated grips get nice and toasty, and feel pretty good on those cold days.

Last edited by BazookaJoe; 12-23-2019 at 10:40 AM.
post #7 of 19 Old 12-23-2019, 05:59 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 102
Thanks (Received): 85
Likes (Given): 273
Likes (Received): 148
I've been using the Honda motorcycle grip glue - - working like a champ. I also pop-riveted for additional security.
post #8 of 19 Old 12-31-2019, 12:15 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 15
Likes (Given): 1
Likes (Received): 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by BazookaJoe View Post
IMO motorcycle grip glue and other motorcycle techniques would be a bad idea for fastening the heated grips. The Ariens grips get pretty warm and will very likely soften the contact adhesives commonly used for motorcycle grips.

But so to the OP's question- The heated grips come with a small epoxy adhesive kit- Did you use it? If not, then you should do so. Regardless, before you start over again, you're going to need to clean off the motorcycle grip glue from your handlebars and from the insides of the grips real good. And then use an epoxy adhesive which can handle the heat. As an additional "belts and suspenders", you can add two small screws per grip using the two holes in the grips.

Good luck with it, and keep the faith- The Ariens heated grips get nice and toasty, and feel pretty good on those cold days.
Late reply -

I installed them last year, and don't remember exactly what I used. If they came with glue, I would have used that I'm sure. Once the grip is cool it's immovable, but when hot I can rotate them on the bars easily.

Cleaning the old stuff off would be a challenge for sure. The idea of a screw or rivet sounds really good. Where is a safe place on the grips so that I don't drill through the electric element?

Happy new year.

Dave

Craftsman 5/22 with impeller mod & poly skids,
Ariens 28+ Deluxe 921037 AX291
post #9 of 19 Old 12-31-2019, 02:57 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 7
Likes (Received): 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave C View Post
Late reply -

I installed them last year, and don't remember exactly what I used. If they came with glue, I would have used that I'm sure. Once the grip is cool it's immovable, but when hot I can rotate them on the bars easily.

Cleaning the old stuff off would be a challenge for sure. The idea of a screw or rivet sounds really good. Where is a safe place on the grips so that I don't drill through the electric element?

Happy new year.

Dave
I don't know for sure where is a safe area on your grips, my guess will be about a 1/4-3/16" from the open end, but if you don't want to take a chance you could try zip ties (don't know if you can tighten them enough to prevent movement) OR
If all else fails:
NOT very elegant, but You could try a worm screw type hose clamps.
BTW the heated grips kit that Ariens sells comes with epoxy, maybe it's not too late to try that.
HTH
JerryR

To reply via Email: yjryba<at>yahoo<dot>com

Last edited by JerryR; 12-31-2019 at 03:04 PM.
post #10 of 19 Old 12-31-2019, 03:31 PM
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 587
Thanks (Received): 767
Likes (Given): 4350
Likes (Received): 1734
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by uberT View Post
I've been using the Honda motorcycle grip glue - - working like a champ. I also pop-riveted for additional security.
Might want to PM uberT and see if he can post a photo of where he drilled his. I'm sure you're not the only one who'd like to know.

Make sure the windows are up before the snow plow goes by !!

Please help keep the lights on by subscribing:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page