LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 Old 12-23-2019, 01:50 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 13
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 50
LCT 420 CC Motor Questions

I just happened to jump over to LCT's website and they offer 3 different 420 CC motors. I believe Ariens is using their "Stormforce 420 motor, designed for sub zero temperatures". But that model lists the motor at "25.5 ft lbs. @3040 RPM's" whereas Ariens lists there's at "21 ft.lbs", which is the same as LCT's CMXX 420 motor. Does Ariens use the Stormforce and detune it for maybe more longevity or extended life cycle ?? Or do they use the CMXX motor instead ?? Just curious as to which they use. Thanks.

https://lctusa.com/displacement/420cc/

2019 Ariens Pro 28" RapidTrac
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 12-23-2019, 02:00 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 11
Thanks (Received): 111
Likes (Given): 19
Likes (Received): 311
The Ariens engine isn't exactly like any of the engines on that page. LCT probably produces a customized version for Ariens.

~1994 Ariens 924084 (ST1032) "papa bear": restored, re-engined, real nice!
1991 Ariens 924050 (ST824) "mama bear"
Toro PowerCurve 1800 "baby bear"

Be alert! America needs more lerts.
post #3 of 12 Old 12-23-2019, 02:05 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 2
Thanks (Received): 26
Likes (Given): 113
Likes (Received): 67
Iirc the CMXX would have an air filter where the stormforce is just a carb with metal mesh as you're less likely to get dirt/dust in the winter.. unless of course you blow dirt...

Used a big oskosh blower that had a 750hp detroit running it and took out a 6-8" lift of gravel on a tight uphill turn, didn't have it wide open either, probably about 1200 rpm and I didn't notice a difference between the gravel and the snow for loading the engine. Other than that I don't normally hit dirt on my "little" snowblower.
post #4 of 12 Old 12-23-2019, 10:57 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Originally Posted by ELaw View Post
The Ariens engine isn't exactly like any of the engines on that page. LCT probably produces a customized version for Ariens.
That's what I was thinking. Ariens doesn't use "an off the shelf" LCT motor, but has LCT build them a motor to their specifications. I just came across the website and it looked like Ariens used their Stormforce 420 CC, not the CMXX, but the specs didn't match up. I figured they'd want the max 25.5 ft lbs of torque for bragging rights, but I guess if in order to get that kind of torque / HP, you give up reliability and longevity, Ariens would choose the latter over max power.

2019 Ariens Pro 28" RapidTrac

Last edited by BNSFguy; 12-23-2019 at 11:02 PM.
post #5 of 12 Old 12-29-2019, 09:37 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 30
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 3
Likes (Received): 0
Wondering if it'd be possible, and if so, how much of a hassle, to convert this to 12v key start, as was apparently done with a Briggs and Stratton, described in this thread: https://www.snowblowerforum.com/foru...rt-lights.html ??

I guess you'd have to start with a 12v starter motor - maybe this one? https://parts.ariens.com/product-p/20001526.htm
post #6 of 12 Old 12-29-2019, 10:23 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
My problem is I have the 2019 Ariens with the LCT motor and guys on here mentioned there's no 12 volt starter for this motor. Briggs you can obviously find one. I'll have to do some more digging.
post #7 of 12 Old 12-29-2019, 10:39 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 26
Likes (Given): 2
Likes (Received): 85
If the starter from one of the other LCT 420cc engines will fit, the CMXX and MAXX variants have 12v starters available. Then you'd just have to put together an appropriate rectifier / regulator setup for keeping the battery charged from the stator output.
post #8 of 12 Old 12-29-2019, 10:43 AM

Location: North Dallas area and UP of MI, average snowfall 202"
Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 26
Thanks (Received): 84
Likes (Given): 85
Likes (Received): 252
Gotta wonder if there is a typo on the LCT page . . . for the 369, the numbers very closely patch the Ariens ratings (LCT shows 17.2). The 414 shows 20 ft-lb, and under "Winter engines" as a group, the 420 isn't even listed (and it;s hard to imagine 6cc going from 20 to 25.5 ft-lb, where the 45cc jump from the 369 to the 414 just gives 3 . . .). But when you do find the 420 elsewhere, 25.5 is shown . . .

Very odd . . .
post #9 of 12 Old 12-30-2019, 11:54 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 30
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 3
Likes (Received): 0
I wonder how complicated this would be?

Do the current 36" EFI machines charge the EFI system battery, which is some odd voltage (not 12v), as well as run the light?

Or is this crazy? Are these new machines truly a one-pull start? The 12v machines are just so easy. I just put a smart charger on my 924508 for a few days in the fall, and it's good for the whole winter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rslifkin View Post
If the starter from one of the other LCT 420cc engines will fit, the CMXX and MAXX variants have 12v starters available. Then you'd just have to put together an appropriate rectifier / regulator setup for keeping the battery charged from the stator output.
post #10 of 12 Old 12-30-2019, 11:59 AM

Location: North Dallas area and UP of MI, average snowfall 202"
Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 26
Thanks (Received): 84
Likes (Given): 85
Likes (Received): 252
Quote:
Originally Posted by WintersBone View Post
I wonder how complicated this would be?

Do the current 36" EFI machines charge the EFI system battery, which is some odd voltage (not 12v), as well as run the light?

Or is this crazy? Are these new machines truly a one-pull start? The 12v machines are just so easy. I just put a smart charger on my 924508 for a few days in the fall, and it's good for the whole winter.
Yes, and it's not odd at all for a 6 cell NiMH pack (same as RC cars) at 7.2 volts . . . Onboard charger appears to be part of the ECU, and they give you a separate charger for off season maintenance. Stator is normal 12 volt - runs lights, warmers, EFI, as well as providing power for charging the battery and providing the speed source to the EFI.
Post Thanks / Like - 1 Thanks, 0 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Thanks WintersBone thanked for this post
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page