LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 Old 12-28-2019, 03:26 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 1
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 11
32" Bucket Upgrade Worth It?

So, I have come across a couple of 32" Arien's, (10962 style) and was wondering what thoughts are about this. Mine is currently a 24" model with a new motor (see my rebuild thread). I'm just wondering the pros or cons of the larger bucket (well, mostly cons) and if it's worth the drive to get one of them.

One bucket is a complete, running machine with a blown main gasket for $80, but it's really far away.

The second is without a motor, a few years newer (it has the lever to engage the PTO up at the handlebars) for $35, but from the pics I've seen, it looks like it's been outside for quite a while (green moss on the tires), but it's about half the distance of the other.

I'm kinda leaning toward the first one, only because even with a blown gasket, I can make a running machine and sell it. Just wish it had the tall chute on it. Any thoughts?

Follow my Arien's 10962 rebuild thread:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Professionally made vinyl chute control direction stickers for $2.50, more details here:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 12-28-2019, 04:29 PM
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 590
Thanks (Received): 770
Likes (Given): 4371
Likes (Received): 1743
Garage
Cons, WEIGHT. It's a bit more clumsy when trying to maneuver it in tight spaces.
Do you have a need for the extra 8" ?

Make sure the windows are up before the snow plow goes by !!

Please help keep the lights on by subscribing:
Post Thanks / Like - 1 Thanks, 1 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Thanks eyebolt thanked for this post
Likes eyebolt liked this post
post #3 of 9 Old 12-28-2019, 05:09 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiss4aFrog View Post
Cons, WEIGHT. It's a bit more clumsy when trying to maneuver it in tight spaces.
Do you have a need for the extra 8" ?

Weight I'm not so concerned about, with the new tires and bigger engine, it should be fine and we're in a rural area, so no sidewalks or anything to get in the way. Our driveway is about 200 feet long and about 15 feet wide. Not to mention I've been plowing out back to our pavilion and other shed, roughly 50 yards, so I fee like it would take me less time to do these things.

Professionally made vinyl chute control direction stickers for $2.50, more details here:
post #4 of 9 Old 12-28-2019, 06:06 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 81
Thanks (Received): 212
Likes (Given): 66
Likes (Received): 767
On those old 10000 series machines, you can just swap out the bucket and try it out...not knowing what motor you have ( guessing a Predator) but I'm sure you'll have enough power. I have a 71 with a 7 hp 32 inch bucket and it does fine. I prefer a 24 or 28 inch bucket for ease of use....but have plans to build a monster blower out of a 32 924 series.
post #5 of 9 Old 12-28-2019, 07:34 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Originally Posted by cranman View Post
On those old 10000 series machines, you can just swap out the bucket and try it out...not knowing what motor you have ( guessing a Predator) but I'm sure you'll have enough power. I have a 71 with a 7 hp 32 inch bucket and it does fine. I prefer a 24 or 28 inch bucket for ease of use....but have plans to build a monster blower out of a 32 924 series.

I have a new 8hp Briggs on my machine now, if you wanna know more about it, my thread is in my signature. I didn't think power would be a problem, I was just curious mostly. I work on cars, snow blowers are a whole new critter for me

post #6 of 9 Old 12-30-2019, 11:52 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 3
Thanks (Received): 28
Likes (Received): 110
My two cents, The impeller area is the same size... 12" correct? If you use a 32" bucket compared to a 24" bucket, wouldn't it take longer to throw snow from 32" than from 24" going through the same size impeller area? Plus there is the handling of a bigger bucket and also storing it. Stay with the 24".
post #7 of 9 Old 12-30-2019, 11:57 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kielbasa View Post
My two cents, The impeller area is the same size... 12" correct? If you use a 32" bucket compared to a 24" bucket, wouldn't it take longer to throw snow from 32" than from 24" going through the same size impeller area? Plus there is the handling of a bigger bucket and also storing it. Stay with the 24".

Possibly, but perhaps with the larger motor I have it might balance out a bit and if I can get my hands on a taller chute (I almost had one, but they sold it!). I'm not worried about storage, I have a neat and tidy area set aside all for the machine itself

post #8 of 9 Old 12-30-2019, 12:54 PM
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 590
Thanks (Received): 770
Likes (Given): 4371
Likes (Received): 1743
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cujoe_da_man View Post
I have a new 8hp Briggs on my machine now, if you wanna know more about it, my thread is in my signature. I didn't think power would be a problem, I was just curious mostly. I work on cars, snow blowers are a whole new critter for me
With that driveway you do have the need. Any chance you've considered a rider with a blower on it ?

I have the same background and it was a learning experience coming here. The eight is a nice engine on the 24" but it's a bit light for a 32" IMHO. That's just me and I have to admit to a lot of the "Tim Taylor" school of thought in my bloodstream. A lot depends on the depth and consistency of snow you get. For powder it really doesn't matter but when you start to get wetter snow of any measurable depth that eight would struggle on the 32" at all but the slowest speed. I have two older Ariens and IIRC one is a 7 and the other an 8. Back in the late 60's and early 70's that was considered big. I have a 13 32" Toro (12" impeller) and as far as I'm concerned I wouldn't want anything less than a 10hp on a 32" bucket if I was doing a re-power in this area. BUT . . . . that's just me.
Cranman said his 7hp 32" does fine but I have to wonder about that. Again it just depends on how much and what kind of snow usually get's dumped on you. Also what speed you think is acceptable. The bigger the driveway and associated areas you have to clear the faster I know I want to get it done and back inside. I'm about 260 miles from the Canadian border and although I can remember some 18 to 24+ inch storms they are the rarest of exceptions. The common problem is getting out there to the end of the driveway and clearing that EOD pile from the snowplow before it freezes. That's usually the real test of how strong a machine is.

As for Kielbasa's comment I have to agree and disagree. The problem being each snowfall is different. At some point the impeller might be the choke point but I honestly don't know where that is. Until the snow is spilling out from the sides or over the top of the bucket you haven't used up all the impellers capacity. After all it's just a pump.
I think for most snowfalls you'd benefit from the 32" by being able to move more snow at the same travel speed as the 24". There might be some snowfalls where the 32" can't travel as fast due to the impeller restriction but at least in my case I really haven't found my 32" sucking in so much snow the impeller couldn't keep up.

Make sure the windows are up before the snow plow goes by !!

Please help keep the lights on by subscribing:
post #9 of 9 Old 12-31-2019, 12:22 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 3
Thanks (Received): 28
Likes (Received): 110
I do not see how a larger engine will fix that situation because the same amount of snow will be going the same route. I just do not see the justice in a 32" bucket. It is 8" wider than 24" and it really doesn't save much time or cut down on passes. Plus there is still the handling side of it. But only you will really know what you want to do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cujoe_da_man View Post
Possibly, but perhaps with the larger motor I have it might balance out a bit and if I can get my hands on a taller chute (I almost had one, but they sold it!). I'm not worried about storage, I have a neat and tidy area set aside all for the machine itself
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page