LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 19 Old 12-30-2019, 11:31 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 7
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 3
Likes (Received): 0
Managing my 1336Pro

I've got an old, but good running and throwing 1336Pro 924506. I'm trying to decide whether to keep this, or get something newer or brand new. Here's my situtuation:

I live in the front range of the Rockies at 8000 ft. and I typically get 12-25" of snow in a storm. I have a long gravel driveway, I would guess somewhere around 200' with a large increase in elevation, maybe 30' and a large turnaround at the top that needs to be cleared. I also need the snow gone not plowed. My plow guys are nincompoops that will not spend more than 10 minutes even when offered more money, and they either push over retaining walls, or the large snow piles undermine the retaining walls when they melt.

The 1336 blows well without an impeller kit. I plan on installing one of those with some large shoes to help is go over rough terrain. It has snow chains and seemingly plenty of power to climb and blow. If I set the shoes for small clearance of the blade, the machine picks up rocks and shears pins or worse hurls rocks. I can set the shoes to leave a 1" of snow, but then the machine is terrible at tipping back, and the whole snow removal is a wrestling match between me and the machine.

I'm looking for some ideas. Can I increase the tire diameter by 1" - 2" (there's clearance) and set the shoes to 1" to help keep the machine level to help with tipping back? Can I add weight to the bucket to help from it tipping? Should I get a different machine with tracks, and can those be set to leave 1" so I'm not peppering the yard and neighbors with gravel? Should I bite the bullet and pave the drive? I image that is going to be an insane cost up here. LMK what you think. Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 Old 12-30-2019, 01:20 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 7
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 45
I think that adding some weight to the front, and raising it the inch that gives you the clearance you need will be enough. No need to get a new machine. About paving, that's something else entirely lol.. I can't tell you how to spend your money, but I would pave it!
Post Thanks / Like - 1 Thanks, 1 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Thanks dernt thanked for this post
Likes dernt liked this post
post #3 of 19 Old 12-30-2019, 02:07 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 21
Thanks (Received): 17
Likes (Given): 96
Likes (Received): 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by ou2mame View Post
About paving, that's something else entirely lol.. I can't tell you how to spend your money, but I would pave it!

I once did a good deed for a neighbor and cleared the snow from his pea stone driveway with my now gone Bolens 1032 snowblower.

WHAT A MISTAKE!!!! Stones caught between the augers and the enclosure. Broke several welds stripped the gears in the auger gear box. NEVER AGAIN WILL I EVER USE MY MACHINE TO CLEAR UNPAVED ANYTHINGS!!! Oh-- I didn't even get an thank you for helping him.
Post Thanks / Like - 1 Thanks, 0 Likes, 0 Dislikes
post #4 of 19 Old 12-30-2019, 02:33 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 13
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by foggysail View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by ou2mame View Post
About paving, that's something else entirely lol.. I can't tell you how to spend your money, but I would pave it!

I once did a good deed for a neighbor and cleared the snow from his pea stone driveway with my now gone Bolens 1032 snowblower.

WHAT A MISTAKE!!!! Stones caught between the augers and the enclosure. Broke several welds stripped the gears in the auger gear box. NEVER AGAIN WILL I EVER USE MY MACHINE TO CLEAR UNPAVED ANYTHINGS!!! Oh-- I didn't even get an thank you for helping him.

Isn't that the worst when you do someone a favor, against your best insight, and than ruin a machine or something ??? I remember when I was 17. I bought this used 4 speed Trans Am. Absolutely adored that car. Took meticulous care of it. A girl I worked with had an emergency and needed to get home ASAP and asked to borrow my car. She had never driven "stick". Against everything in my body, I grudgingly gave it to her after a 15 minute lesson on driving a manual. Anyway, she barely made it home 30 minutes away, and told me "the car isn't moving". When I got there, I could smell the burnt, wasted, clutch from the bottom of the driveway. Had to have it towed and drop a grand fixing it. Never again would I feel "obligated" to anyone. Lesson learned.

2019 Ariens Pro 28" RapidTrac

Last edited by BNSFguy; 12-30-2019 at 02:36 PM.
post #5 of 19 Old 12-30-2019, 04:33 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 81
Thanks (Received): 212
Likes (Given): 66
Likes (Received): 767
Never lend out your snowblower, chainsaw , girlfriend or wife, or vehicle.... Short story.....I've got a chainsaw I lent out to my friend years ago....didn't run when it came back. He came to me a year later to borrow one again, and I gave him the same broken one again...that is my loaner saw for the last 40 years....Lent out my log spiltter to my friend Joe 15 years ago cause I felt bad he was paying $80 a day to rent one. For 6 years I dropped it of and three months later picked it up. He call's me one day and says...it doesn't want to pull over. I went to see and it was full of new oil and didn't want to turn over....DUH...he ran it out of oil and then tried to cover up. I said...Joe...give me $100 and I'll repower it. He said "I don't want to pay for a new engine" ....I told him to use a maul....
post #6 of 19 Old 12-30-2019, 05:09 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 3
Thanks (Received): 17
Likes (Given): 22
Likes (Received): 46
I have a granite driveway. I usually set the blade at 1" for the first 2 snowfalls. That's enough for a good base. I then set the blade at 1/4" and it's good till the granite shows again.
post #7 of 19 Old 12-30-2019, 05:10 PM
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 590
Thanks (Received): 770
Likes (Given): 4371
Likes (Received): 1743
Garage
It's a whole different world if the machine is set up to do gravel. I haven't had a problem with my gravel driveway and parking area (yet) and I have 300' of it.
I have much better things to do with my money than put down asphalt although I'd love to have it paved.

Make sure the windows are up before the snow plow goes by !!

Please help keep the lights on by subscribing:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 19 Old 12-30-2019, 05:11 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 174
Thanks (Received): 342
Likes (Given): 480
Likes (Received): 849
Oof, sorry to hear the horror-stories.

dernt, welcome to the forum! I'd start by adding some weight to the bucket. I have 25 pounds on the bucket of my 24" machine, it helps hold the nose down when climbing our driveway's incline (which is probably shallower than yours).

For testing, you can use anything, to see if it helps. I have a 20lb Ariens bar, then I added a 5lb iron free-weight, held on with a big c-clamp. I really should mount it more permanently, but the clamp is working fine, so I keep leaving it as-is.

Ariens 1024 Pro
Toro Power Clear 221QR
Toro Power Curve 1800
Post Thanks / Like - 1 Thanks, 2 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes dernt, Kiss4aFrog liked this post
post #9 of 19 Old 12-30-2019, 09:39 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 7
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 3
Likes (Received): 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiss4aFrog View Post
It's a whole different world if the machine is set up to do gravel. I haven't had a problem with my gravel driveway and parking area (yet) and I have 300' of it.
I have much better things to do with my money than put down asphalt although I'd love to have it paved.

Would you like to clue us in as how to set it up to do gravel, or are you saying I'm on the right track?
post #10 of 19 Old 12-30-2019, 11:20 PM
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 590
Thanks (Received): 770
Likes (Given): 4371
Likes (Received): 1743
Garage
I set the scraper so it's about 3/4" off the cement floor when I've checked and set the tire pressure. I use the heavy duty Ariens skids on my Troy which are a bit wider so they don't tend to dig in. I have a PowerShift so I can literally move the axle back to let more weight push down on the bucket. I haven't resorted to adding weight to the Troy so far as it hasn't been needed. I usually drive on the first couple snows to pack it down and then have no trouble the rest of the year. It also helps if you keep the ruts out by grooming you gravel in the fall if it's needed.

Having the incline you do I think a tracked machine would be appropriate but if you like the machine you have now than RedOctobyr's suggestion of adding some weight to the bucket would likely help you out. Different manufacturers offer their kits or you can be creative with anything heavy on top of or under the lip of the bucket.

Unlike strtch5881 I just run mine at the same height all year. If you had the time and temperament I suppose you could readjust. That's where having those lawn mower adjusters would be nice.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	131112 TroyBilt 2410 Skid upgrade 1a.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	52.3 KB
ID:	161901   Click image for larger version

Name:	Toro 107-3815 Snowblower Weight Kit.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	39.4 KB
ID:	161903   Click image for larger version

Name:	Snowblower bucket weight.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	66.1 KB
ID:	161905   Click image for larger version

Name:	wheels.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	92.8 KB
ID:	161907  

Make sure the windows are up before the snow plow goes by !!

Please help keep the lights on by subscribing:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Post Thanks / Like - 1 Thanks, 1 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes dernt liked this post
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page