LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 Old 12-30-2019, 09:35 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 4
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 0
Ariens ST1032 not scraping

I have an Ariens ST1032. Monster of a machine. I cannot get it to scrape all the way down to the pavement. I have the skid shoes set to let scraper bar all the way down. Scraper bar does not appear to be worn too bad and when I look at it, it is touching pavement. When I blow snow- that's a different story, always leaves behind about half an inch of pushed down- soon to be ice- snow. I don't believe I run the machine too fast, I walk it nice and slow. Do I need more weight on the front? How do I do that? Any other suggestions?

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 12-30-2019, 11:14 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 2
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 9
Likes (Received): 5
There is a weight kit you can but or make.
post #3 of 7 Old 12-30-2019, 11:15 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 13
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 50
You can try adding additional weight to the front end by making something yourself or by adding the weight bars Ariens offers. I believe they're 10 lbs each and you can add two for a total of 20 additional pounds on the front end. But prior to spending any money, I'd do as other's have stated in different posts, I'd throw some kind of temporary weight on top of the bucket and give it a try. No sense spending money if it isn't going to solve the problem. Here's the weight kit.

https://parts.ariens.com/Ariens-Snow-Blower-Front-Weight-Kit-p/72406500.htm
post #4 of 7 Old 12-31-2019, 08:08 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 231
Thanks (Received): 199
Likes (Given): 2041
Likes (Received): 517
Is your driveway even? Are the skids touching the pavement? What kind of skids are you using?

Regardless, 2 stage machines are design to leave a thin layer of snow; I typically set my skids to using 3/16" washers under the scraper bar (My driveway is uneven). Going too low puts the bucket and augers at risk of scraping as well.

If you want to get all of the way down to pavement, shovel or use a single stage for finish work.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
('89 Toro 824)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
('70 Allis-Chalmers Tracker-7)

('80 Toro 724)

('71 Ariens 910965 SnoThro 524)

('87 Toro 38150 826)
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 1 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes Jackmels liked this post
post #5 of 7 Old 12-31-2019, 09:15 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 174
Thanks (Received): 308
Likes (Given): 462
Likes (Received): 1044
Your "scraper" bar is not supposed to touch the ground or pavement or whatever surface you are cleaning. Read your manual for proper adjustment. Many of us in here us a paint stir stick under the bar and drop the skids to run with that amount of clearance.

Joe
Sent from my wife's old Toshiba
Ariens 921001
Toro 38074- sold
Toro CCR 3650E-sold
Toro 5/21 sold
Ariens 5/22 ss
Ariens Sno Tek 7/24 sold.
Old green plastic snow shovel... Sent.to shovel Heaven
Old quarry shovel for ice.
New.green shovel
post #6 of 7 Old 12-31-2019, 09:34 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 150
Likes (Given): 1
Likes (Received): 543
I use a wooden yard stick or paint stirrer under scrapper bar/cutting edge. Then drop the skids and tighten, as most do as well.
post #7 of 7 Old 12-31-2019, 09:55 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 173
Thanks (Received): 340
Likes (Given): 479
Likes (Received): 846
I used to have my scraper bar set to touch the ground. Our driveway is smooth. I now use a paint stick under the scraper when setting the height, but if the surface is smooth, I don't think there's any real harm in having the scraper bar on the ground. You just need to keep an eye on it. It will wear at the same rate as your skid shoes, since as they get thinner, the scraper bar will wear accordingly, as they're all touching the ground together.

Are your tires inflated evenly, so the machine is sitting flat? You can try temporary weight up-front, to see if that approach will help you.

Ariens 1024 Pro
Toro Power Clear 221QR
Toro Power Curve 1800
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page