LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 18 Old 01-01-2020, 11:49 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 3
Thanks (Received): 13
Likes (Given): 5
Likes (Received): 40
Adding wheel lockout 924036

Iím updating a 524 with a new engine but this tractor does not have the wheel lockout.
To add the LO it appears all I need is the right side long shaft and the knob from a unit with the lockout?
Am I correct?

924039 diff parts

01037000 axle with hub
01037500 knob

Happy New Year
Red

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old 01-01-2020, 12:13 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 149
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 540
I haver a 10000 series with the lockout, and never once did I ever use it .. I never found a need to Ö. just sayin.
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 1 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes foggysail liked this post
post #3 of 18 Old 01-01-2020, 12:47 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
I operate a 924039 with the left wheel unlocked unless we get a huge storm.
My feather keys are shot and the axle is worn on this scrap acquisition so I may as well upgrade the axle!
Any help would be appreciated!
Red

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #4 of 18 Old 01-01-2020, 01:14 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 16
Thanks (Received): 86
Likes (Given): 241
Likes (Received): 202
This will likely be a big and costly job.

Your 924036 doesn't have a differential and it's listed as using 3/4" ID axle bushings, 3 hole bushing carriers, and 3 lug wheels.

Most of the differential axle-equipped 924s I've seen use axles that has a 7/8" ID. Some models use 7/8" ID ball bearings (924050, for example) while others use 7/8" ID bushings with the same 3-hole bushing carriers (924026, for example) as yours.

So not only will you need to swap out the axle, you will need to pick up the 7/8" ID carriers and then bushings/bearings.

I'm not aware of any differential-equipped 924 axles that are 3/4".

This is coming from a guy who swapped in a differential-equipped axle from a 924050 (8hp, 4-lug wheels) into his 924040.

I would recommend finding a differential-equipped 924 that has either a blown engine and/or gearbox. My 924050 was $50 and it also came with 4-lug wheels with Snow Hogs.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by db130; 01-01-2020 at 01:18 PM.
post #5 of 18 Old 01-01-2020, 01:40 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
db130

Thank you and you are correct!

The axle and knob are not terribly speedy, now Iíll look at bushings and carriers!
post #6 of 18 Old 01-01-2020, 02:27 PM

Location: North Dallas area and UP of MI, average snowfall 202"
Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 26
Thanks (Received): 84
Likes (Given): 85
Likes (Received): 252
Quote:
Originally Posted by oneacer View Post
I haver a 10000 series with the lockout, and never once did I ever use it .. I never found a need to Ö. just sayin.
Having had a 10000 for years in heavy snow country, with the diff and lock knob, it only got used a couple of times a season, but when it did, it was very valuable. Normal conditions were handles with the diff unlockedmfor ease of turning, but when we got ugly conditions, locking it was the key to getting through the heavy stuff.

(Ironically, when new, we didn't this it worked - the lock had so much paint on it that it would rotate OK, but not drop into the lock. Finallynfigured out to smack it in a few times, and then it locked by itself fine.)
post #7 of 18 Old 01-01-2020, 03:12 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 172
Thanks (Received): 335
Likes (Given): 475
Likes (Received): 834
Quote:
Originally Posted by tadawson View Post
Having had a 10000 for years in heavy snow country, with the diff and lock knob, it only got used a couple of times a season, but when it did, it was very valuable. Normal conditions were handles with the diff unlockedmfor ease of turning, but when we got ugly conditions, locking it was the key to getting through the heavy stuff.

(Ironically, when new, we didn't this it worked - the lock had so much paint on it that it would rotate OK, but not drop into the lock. Finallynfigured out to smack it in a few times, and then it locked by itself fine.)
Mine is a different model #, but has a differential, and chains. Our driveway has an incline. As with tadawson, I usually keep the differential unlocked, but in bad/slippery storms, I need to lock it, and it makes a big difference in traction. I'm really glad I can lock them together.

bigredmf, just for understanding, what does your machine have now? A differential, just without the ability to lock the wheels together? Or is it the system where you can pull a pin on one wheel, to change from 2-wheel-drive (locked together), to 1-wheel-drive (one wheel free spinning, undriven).

Ariens 1024 Pro
Toro Power Clear 221QR
Toro Power Curve 1800
post #8 of 18 Old 01-01-2020, 03:15 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 20
Thanks (Received): 56
Likes (Given): 78
Likes (Received): 115
Funny that this topic comes up.... I'm searching online to do a similar swap. I already ran into the axle issue as well as the wheel difference, But I've got a couple older 924050 twin sticks, a couple later 924040's all with Locking Diff's so parts aren't necessarily a problem..

BUT the test subject I'm using is a real clean (Well mostly clean) ST(?) 1028, 924119 newer than all the others. It has a straight axle with slide on Fat Wheels. Machine was abandoned at my shop. The wheels are rust jacked to the axle. I've tried all the usual desperation methods to try and save the wheels/axles.....no luck. Tires are junk and I don't have any spare wheels or tires for this setup.

But I do have plenty of the locking diff's, axles and wheels. The 1028 uses 3 bolt, 2 piece flanges that straddle the tractor body. The older setups use 4 bolt covers that trap the bearing to the frame. Looks like all the holes are there in the tractor frame, for either setup, so I'm going to sacrifice the wheels and axle and swap over to the locking diff arrangement.

They are all 924 tractors. so it'll be a drop in replacement, Rite?? There will be no problems encountered, or extra parts to buy......ESP since it's a holiday....Week.....Hahahahahahahaahahahhahaaa

Well nothing ventured, nothing gained.....I'm going in....DEEP.!!!!!

Best case scenario, that I now have a clean 1028 with locking diff and Snow Hogs.....
Worst case scenario, that i now have TWO piles of Rubble....

Wish Me Luck.....Jay
post #9 of 18 Old 01-01-2020, 04:16 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedOctobyr View Post
Mine is a different model #, but has a differential, and chains. Our driveway has an incline. As with tadawson, I usually keep the differential unlocked, but in bad/slippery storms, I need to lock it, and it makes a big difference in traction. I'm really glad I can lock them together.

bigredmf, just for understanding, what does your machine have now? A differential, just without the ability to lock the wheels together? Or is it the system where you can pull a pin on one wheel, to change from 2-wheel-drive (locked together), to 1-wheel-drive (one wheel free spinning, undriven).
Itís a straight locked 3/4Ē Axle.
Three bolt 6.00 wheels sporting 15Ē XTRACS!

Itís kind of silly to call these differentials!

Red
post #10 of 18 Old 01-01-2020, 04:38 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 16
Thanks (Received): 86
Likes (Given): 241
Likes (Received): 202
The 924040 does not have a diff, but the 924050 would.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page