post #1 of 8 Old 01-02-2020, 11:32 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 0
1336Pro Impeller belt upgrade kit

Hi All,
My 1336 is a '924506', so its a '924' series.
I have to replace the impeller belt every 2 - 3 storms which is a pain. After I put the new belt on I adjust as specified, then a storm or 2 later I have to adjust the impeller idler pulley to its limit. Then, of course, a storm or two later I'm ready for a new belt. No adjustment left.

I see that there is a 'Dual Belt' upgrade kit '72600800' for the 13HP models, but it says its for the '926' series machines.

Has anyone tried installing this kit on a '924' machine?

They both have the Tecumseh 13HP engine, so I wonder what the real difference could be.

I can't get anybody from Ariens on the phone, and the dealer just says 'They are different'. Real helpful...

If anyone could tell me 'why' it would not fit, I could maybe get some machine work done to make it fit my machine. I'm just going crazy having to replace the Impeller belt every 2 - 3 storms.
Thanks in advance for any advice.
Steve
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 01-02-2020, 11:42 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 2
Thanks (Received): 20
Likes (Given): 6
Likes (Received): 73
I have a 924 Ariens but it's a single belt. Can't help you on dual-belt modification. I've been running this machine for 30 years and use only OEM belts but lately I've learned that aftermarket belts are OK also as long as they're the right type of belt.

I believe full-covered Kevlar belts are applicable to a snowblower. If the impeller stalls then the engine PTO will slip on the fabric-covered sides of the belt. I believe it's better for the belt to slip than for the engine to stop abruptly; possibly shearing the flywheel key.

A PTO spinning continuously against a stalled belt will overheat and damage the belt. I experienced a failed belt last month during operation. The belt failed at a spot where it had been overheated by PTO spinning against the stalled impeller/belt.

https://youtu.be/QVuj4z-YuRM

Last edited by badbmwbrad; 01-02-2020 at 12:01 PM.
post #3 of 8 Old 01-02-2020, 11:52 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 16
Thanks (Received): 86
Likes (Given): 241
Likes (Received): 202
Have you seen the 926 double pulley kit videos on youtube?

It looks like the 926 pulley is bolted on to the crankshaft using the the threaded end of the crankshaft. I'm pretty sure that the all 924 pulleys are secured to the crank using setscrews in the pulley.

The spacing between the auger and drive belts appear to be significantly different between the two as well. I don't think the 924 series could accommodate a dual belt impeller pulley (not enough room).

What kind of belts are you buying and which size?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 8 Old 01-02-2020, 12:35 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 81
Thanks (Received): 212
Likes (Given): 66
Likes (Received): 767
I've never had a belt issue with any of the 924's with the single belt......if you use an automotive belt you will have an issue. I tried using general purpose belts from my hardware store on a Troybilt tiller as few years ago, and could only get 15 minutes before having to adjust. Using the original or Kevlar belts, no problems.
post #5 of 8 Old 01-03-2020, 06:55 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks all for your responses.Here's an update.
I went and bought the upgrade kit just to see what would or would not work. And just as db130 says, the pulley(s) are mounted differently, and there is not enough room for the extra pulley length anyway. The dealer I bought the kit from said I could return it as long as I didn't try to install it, or mess it up.

Anyway, I think I found the real problem(s).
When I replaced the belt at the end of last year I noticed that the impeller idler pulley was really worn on one side. (The lip at the edge was almost completely worn away) I just didn't notice why, so I replaced it along with the belt and moved on. Now when I went to replace the belt again last night I see the pulley is wearing again on that same side. Turns out that the pulley bracket got bent (pretty sure I know how), and the pulley and belt were tearing each other up
So I straightened the bracket to where the pulley seemed nice and square to the PTO. But upon trying it out, now I notice that when the pulley gets engaged with the clutch, the bracket cocks off in the other direction.
Here it turns out that the bracket is so worn where it pivots that it can move from side to side instead of staying square to the PTO.
I'm going to get, or order, a new bracket today.
I'll post back once I get it replaced.

Thanks again for your comments.

Last edited by SteveD; 01-03-2020 at 07:00 AM.
post #6 of 8 Old 01-03-2020, 08:17 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 11
Thanks (Received): 111
Likes (Given): 19
Likes (Received): 311
There are actually 3 parts you need to check for wear: the bracket the idler pulley attaches to, the bracket that supports it, which is attached to the housing, and the pin that links the two together. Item #s 30, 48, and 49 respectively in the diagram below.

Also keep in mind these machines aren't built with the precision of a Swiss watch... even with brand-new parts there may be a little slop in that mechanism. On my ST1032 I had a problem similar to yours, and fixed it (hopefully! haven't had much time to test) by using a pair of water pump pliers to twist the idler bracket a little so the belt ran in the center of the idler when the drive was engaged.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture.PNG
Views:	28
Size:	89.3 KB
ID:	162061  

~1994 Ariens 924084 (ST1032) "papa bear": restored, re-engined, real nice!
1991 Ariens 924050 (ST824) "mama bear"
Toro PowerCurve 1800 "baby bear"

Be alert! America needs more lerts.
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 1 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes Kiss4aFrog liked this post
post #7 of 8 Old 01-03-2020, 08:33 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 149
Likes (Given): 1
Likes (Received): 543
@SteveD,

ELaw is correct … I just repaired one of my 924's which had this scenario.

I had it apart anyways, so I welded the bracket shaft and re-ground it, cleaned up the receiving bracket hole for a nice fit as well, and applying washers for a snug, yet movable action when engaged.

Getting the spring on is always fun …

FWIW, … until you get in there and do a full repair, if you choose, you could probably get away with tweaking the bracket and applying an additional spring to the outer casing frame, to hold it over when engaged, to keep the idler in sync with the pulley.
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 1 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes Kiss4aFrog liked this post
post #8 of 8 Old 01-07-2020, 08:08 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks for all the ideas folks.
My new pulley bracket finally came in. It's a bit heavier gauge metal, so it takes up that bit of side to side play that the old one had. Now the belt stays nice and centered on the pulley while running.
Here's hoping the belt lasts the winter this time!

Thanks Again.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page