LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 Old 01-02-2020, 05:51 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 1
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 1
30 Inch Deluxe EFI Initial Impressions

My Ariens 2011 30 Inch Platinum with the 342cc Briggs died halfway through cleaning up 12 inches of snow this past week. Not sure exactly why, but I have the same symptoms as others who have found out that the 342cc likes to eat push rods.

I fired up my truck, blew through the end of driveway pile with 4wd engaged, and went out to my local Ariens dealer. All they had in stock was a 24 inch SHO and a 30 inch EFI deluxe - so that really wasn't a hard choice to make. I asked them if they had any issues with the EFI and their experiences with them, and he said he's only ever had one issue with those which is someone burning out the fuel pump by leaving the key turned to "On" and empty of fuel for an hour. Seeing as this is the dealer who would have to fix any issues under warranty, and having no real choice, I rolled the dice. I've never had any carb issues with my previous Ariens so that was not a factor in this purchase.

My first impressions are thus

- Very easy to start. My 2011 started on the first pull as well, but this EFI is easier to pull, and starts with a half pull.
- Throttle control is nicer, seems to work better than the older style briggs.
- Easier to tell oil level with the metal dipstick. 2011 model had a yellow dipstick which the oil stained and made it difficult to see the level
- Hand warmers are hotter (too hot for bare hands)
- Tires are larger at 16" than the 2011 model. Not sure if this is a huge difference or not, but it did seem to be better balanced to keep the front of the bucket down.
- Speed 1 does not move the machine. The rest work fine. I'm familiar with how to adjust this but its annoying having to do this to a brand new machine.
- Auto Turn is hands down better than the old Hilliard Auto-Lok system. Someone chime in if you have an older version of the Auto Turn that is more finicky, but i've found it doesnt activate unless I want it to and I have an uneven dirt driveway. This is a true zero turn machine unlike what I was previously used to.

The Engine runs fine. It is less CC's but I dont think the power level is any less than the 342cc. Seems quieter.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 01-02-2020, 06:02 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 11
Thanks (Received): 10
Likes (Given): 38
Likes (Received): 22
Congrats and best of luck with your new Deluxe, keep that battery charged!
post #3 of 14 Old 01-02-2020, 06:10 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 2
Likes (Received): 3
Do you still have your old one? I have seen many Briggs that over heat, walk a guide high and clank valve can't open, there's your bent push rod. On a blower that would usually mean low oil or mouse nest in the recoil housing. Mowers it's usually grass clippings.
Could just be the typical Briggs blown head gasket too. Just saying if you still have it and it didn't go bam and spray oil all over and the rod hasn't let go, you may be able to fix it fairly cheap and sell it to make up some of the new price purchase.
post #4 of 14 Old 01-02-2020, 06:49 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 1
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by oneboltshort View Post
Do you still have your old one? I have seen many Briggs that over heat, walk a guide high and clank valve can't open, there's your bent push rod. On a blower that would usually mean low oil or mouse nest in the recoil housing. Mowers it's usually grass clippings.
Could just be the typical Briggs blown head gasket too. Just saying if you still have it and it didn't go bam and spray oil all over and the rod hasn't let go, you may be able to fix it fairly cheap and sell it to make up some of the new price purchase.

Absolutely, its in the shed. I plan to tear into it and fully figure out what exactly went wrong this spring

I definitely think its possible the recoil had something to do with the issue. Its always been a source of problem in one way or another. I noticed when I was troubleshooting that the plastic fingers in the recoil starter were busted.
post #5 of 14 Old 01-02-2020, 08:45 PM

Location: North Dallas area and UP of MI, average snowfall 202"
Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 22
Thanks (Received): 75
Likes (Given): 73
Likes (Received): 218
Quote:
Originally Posted by kimber View Post
Congrats and best of luck with your new Deluxe, keep that battery charged!
It charges when it runs - should be a complete and total non-issue. . .
post #6 of 14 Old 01-02-2020, 09:17 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 2
Likes (Given): 7
Likes (Received): 7
Great observations! Enjoy the machine!
post #7 of 14 Old 01-02-2020, 09:32 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 11
Thanks (Received): 10
Likes (Given): 38
Likes (Received): 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by tadawson View Post
It charges when it runs - should be a complete and total non-issue. . .
It is if it doesn't snow and you store it in your shed with no power. You got to start it to recharge it then and if it goes dead, that fuel pump isn't pumping.
post #8 of 14 Old 01-02-2020, 09:53 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 126
Thanks (Received): 291
Likes (Given): 384
Likes (Received): 692
Congrats on the new machine! I hope it handles the next storms nicely. How did it do with this one, in terms of actual snow removal?

Sorry, what's the Hilliard Auto-Lok system? If I'm remembering correctly, did Ariens for a time use a system with 1 trigger to unlock one wheel? I've had their differential-equipped machines, and I've read a bunch about Auto Turn, but trying to remember what Auto-Lok is.

In terms of the battery, do they still (?) include a charger for that 7.2V battery? I've read references to that charger, I thought it came with the machine. I don't mean to speak for him, but I'd interpreted kimber's post about keeping the battery charged to include keeping that battery charged during the off-season. Or at a minimum, having a way to recharge it before going to use the machine for the first time the next winter.

I hope the Briggs suffered a simple and inexpensive problem, good luck getting it sorted out! I guess, if it *was* a simple fix, you'd probably get more for it now, vs in the spring.

Ariens 1024 Pro
Toro Power Clear 221QR
Toro Power Curve 1800
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 1 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes kimber liked this post
post #9 of 14 Old 01-02-2020, 10:01 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Originally Posted by kimber View Post
It is if it doesn't snow and you store it in your shed with no power. You got to start it to recharge it then and if it goes dead, that fuel pump isn't pumping.
After serveral *months* maybe . . . current NiMH cells are very low discharge, and therenis no load when not runnimg. This isn't your typicall POS lead-acid battery with a high self discharge . . . (Eneloops, for instance, are rated to hold 70% or so after a year, as I recall . . .)

I would also question why someone would buy a snowblower in this class in an area that doesn''t get snow . . .

In any case, that's why it also comes with a charger.
post #10 of 14 Old 01-02-2020, 10:03 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedOctobyr View Post
Congrats on the new machine! I hope it handles the next storms nicely. How did it do with this one, in terms of actual snow removal?

Sorry, what's the Hilliard Auto-Lok system? If I'm remembering correctly, did Ariens for a time use a system with 1 trigger to unlock one wheel? I've had their differential-equipped machines, and I've read a bunch about Auto Turn, but trying to remember what Auto-Lok is.

In terms of the battery, do they still (?) include a charger for that 7.2V battery? I've read references to that charger, I thought it came with the machine. I don't mean to speak for him, but I'd interpreted kimber's post about keeping the battery charged to include keeping that battery charged during the off-season. Or at a minimum, having a way to recharge it before going to use the machine for the first time the next winter.

I hope the Briggs suffered a simple and inexpensive problem, good luck getting it sorted out! I guess, if it *was* a simple fix, you'd probably get more for it now, vs in the spring.
Still shows to come with the charger, and yes, that is the main stated purpose - making sure it has power in the fall. Any RC charger would likely work fine as well . . .
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page