LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 Old 01-15-2020, 08:03 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 2
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 6
Auger disengagement

New Ariiens Professional 28, (926065) used 4 times so far this year. The last 2 times the auger does not disengage when the the lever is released, it turns slower, but does not completely stop. If I idle the machine down, the auger then completely stops. The linkage from the lever handle seems to be adjusted just fine with slack when the lever is released. The "rod" going into the bottom housing seems secure and moves with the handle. This is not the time to be taking it to the dealer for repairs, so I'm open for suggestions. Hopefully I explained the problem well enough.

Note, I have owned Ariens snowblowers since the 70's and this is the first one I ever had an issue with.

Thanks in advance.

Jim
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 01-15-2020, 08:13 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 6
Thanks (Received): 52
Likes (Given): 44
Likes (Received): 71
The brake may not be engaging the pulley to stop it or the belt engage lever isnít adjusted correclty

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #3 of 9 Old 01-15-2020, 08:38 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 12
Thanks (Received): 13
Likes (Given): 54
Likes (Received): 33
^^ +1 ^^ I agree with e.fisher26, the brake should engage instantly, that would be my first inspection.
post #4 of 9 Old 01-15-2020, 08:53 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 147
Likes (Received): 538
I would check the brake pad assembly as well, also a possible out of adjustment idler pulley.
post #5 of 9 Old 01-15-2020, 09:19 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks for the responses. I believe that the engagement lever is adjusted correctly, and more like the "brake" your talking about. Would I look for this under the belt cover, or would this be somewhere under the machine where the engagement lever cable is connected ?
post #6 of 9 Old 01-15-2020, 09:30 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 66
Thanks (Received): 123
Likes (Given): 111
Likes (Received): 156
Garage
If the belts are not adjusted correctly then the engine will easily overcome the brake. I would check the belt tension and the belt guide positioning.

The belt tensioner idler pulley is bolted to the arm through a slot. The attached pic shows the new belt position as the arrow shaped end. The carriage bolt square part sits in that arrow shape. Ariens has a complicated process for belt tension, but if you tie wrap the impeller belt clutch lever to the handlebar and press in on a belt until the idler just moves the deflection should be about a half inch compared to the other impeller belt.

The second pic shows the bellt guide mounted over the top of the engine crank impeller pulley. It must be set so it is located less than an 1/8" from the belt on the tension side (straight run from impeller pulley to crank pulley) when clutch engaged. If it is not set correctly then the belt will not be forced off the pulley to run free.

Good luck.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Belt adjustment slot spacing.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	251.8 KB
ID:	162527   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ariens SHO with 3.25 pulleys.JPG
Views:	29
Size:	342.0 KB
ID:	162529  

2015 Ariens Platinum 30 SHO - model 921040
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 1 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes Jackmels liked this post
post #7 of 9 Old 01-15-2020, 09:35 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 66
Thanks (Received): 123
Likes (Given): 111
Likes (Received): 156
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Badger9402 View Post
Thanks for the responses. I believe that the engagement lever is adjusted correctly, and more like the "brake" your talking about. Would I look for this under the belt cover, or would this be somewhere under the machine where the engagement lever cable is connected ?
Take off the bottom cover, and look for the two rivets that hold the pad to the brake lever in the attached pic.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Trans drive belt pulley.JPG
Views:	27
Size:	179.8 KB
ID:	162531  

2015 Ariens Platinum 30 SHO - model 921040
post #8 of 9 Old 01-15-2020, 09:44 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 2
Thanks (Received): 14
Likes (Given): 35
Likes (Received): 25
Like Town said the adjustment procedure is complex with several measurements, but in the owners manual. I had to look it up to work on a newer one myself as they are very different from 924 series I'm used to. Two things right away are the idler pulley arm at rest should be touching the frame. If you look inside the belly pan you likely will see the bottom of the idler arm (roller) is keeping the flex band with brake pad from hitting the auger belts. Check there is still a spring holding the brake tension. Did you do the 15 minute belt engagement "run in" the dealer probably never mentioned?
post #9 of 9 Old 01-16-2020, 08:15 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
THANK YOU for the information, and the pictures. Seeing the pictures makes a little more sense now. I will also look at the manual again.

Jim
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page