LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 23 Old 01-17-2020, 02:16 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 30
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 3
Likes (Received): 0
Opinions 36" vs 28"

I sincerely apologize, this question has probably been asked a time or two before. Can anyone with experience using both a 36" and a 28" say if the 36" is noticeably faster getting the job done? Assuming both are "Pro" wheeled models and in good shape. I have 500 feet of relatively level asphalt driveway, plus three very small parking areas and a couple of short paths. Been using the 28" (924508) for a number of years. It does a great job but always thinking about how to make it go a little faster. Thanks in advance!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 Old 01-17-2020, 03:43 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 2
Thanks (Received): 5
Likes (Received): 22
What is your situation ? I like to go as small as I can unless I have a large area. I had a 28 inch model that was very unwieldy. 6 forward speeds and two in reverse. Very dependable and did a good job but it beat me up something terrible and I'm 6'2 220 lbs. Using a small 22 inch now. Takes longer but I no longer feel beat up after using. At that time I had a very large driveway so I needed a larger machine. A 22 to 24 inch is perfect now.

Last edited by BlowerMods1; 01-17-2020 at 03:49 PM.
Post Thanks / Like - 1 Thanks, 1 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Thanks WintersBone thanked for this post
Likes gibbs296 liked this post
post #3 of 23 Old 01-17-2020, 04:07 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 81
Thanks (Received): 209
Likes (Given): 66
Likes (Received): 764
I've used them all from 21 to 36....anything above 28 kind of beats me up....and I'm a solid 255. 24 or 28 is my preference....Might be different with auto steer or such...
Likes Kiss4aFrog liked this post
post #4 of 23 Old 01-17-2020, 05:00 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 3
Thanks (Received): 4
Likes (Given): 11
Likes (Received): 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by cranman View Post
I've used them all from 21 to 36....anything above 28 kind of beats me up....and I'm a solid 255. 24 or 28 is my preference....Might be different with auto steer or such...
I have a Rapidtrak 32. The autoturn is a gem to say the least. I have had 2 honda track machines including the new Hss as well as a Craftsman and Cub wheeled machines. The autoturn makes moving snow effortless. I used to always feel worn out after blowing snow. Constantly manhandling the machines. Get what size you need, just make sure it has autosteer.

RapidTrak Pro 32"
Former HSS1332 Clog & Bog.
Post Thanks / Like - 1 Thanks, 0 Likes, 0 Dislikes
post #5 of 23 Old 01-17-2020, 05:32 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 95
Thanks (Received): 194
Likes (Given): 74
Likes (Received): 449
Garage
I have a 32", 30", 29", I feel the 32" is faster and not beat up.

1986 Ariens ST522, 5hp, 22"
1995 Murray Craftsman 10hp, 29" w. 12" impeller
A 1983 Real John Deere 10hp, 32" w. 12" impeller, 16" auger, 20" high front, cast iron gear box, chains
Noma 9hp, 27" w. 12" impeller
Noma 5hp, 24" w. 12" impeller, 20" high front
Gravely Convertible, 12hp Kohler cast iron, 26" width, 600 lbs of cast iron & steel, 2 speed impeller, 4 ground speeds
Dynamark 8hp, 26", 12" impeller, for sale
Several other 5hp, 8hp, several 2 cycle, all for sale
post #6 of 23 Old 01-18-2020, 03:35 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 6
Thanks (Received): 87
Likes (Given): 57
Likes (Received): 268
a 36 is going to be hard to turn and maneuver if you are only using this on a driveway. It shines on flat stretches of long road and sidewalks. But if you have a lot of turning to do and tight spaces to work in, you'll be cussing.
post #7 of 23 Old 01-18-2020, 05:28 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 83
Thanks (Received): 16
Likes (Given): 121
Likes (Received): 127
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoBlowSnow View Post
a 36 is going to be hard to turn and maneuver if you are only using this on a driveway. It shines on flat stretches of long road and sidewalks. But if you have a lot of turning to do and tight spaces to work in, you'll be cussing.

Keep in mind that a 32 won't go through your average fence gate, at least in the city where I live. As well, in addition to what GoBlowSnow mentioned, as you get older, you'll want a smaller machine, as your strength will diminish. You'll end up selling the big one, and buying smaller.

Life is short, so if you don't have the strength to laugh at yourself,
call me.....I'll laugh at you!
2014 Ariens Deluxe 28 with 291 CC Engine
2011 John Deere JS36 Self Propelled Mower
Too many Craftsman Mechanic/Yard tools to mention
Likes squid3083 liked this post
post #8 of 23 Old 01-18-2020, 05:31 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 83
Likes (Given): 121
Likes (Received): 127
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlowerMods1 View Post
What is your situation ? I like to go as small as I can unless I have a large area. I had a 28 inch model that was very unwieldy. 6 forward speeds and two in reverse. Very dependable and did a good job but it beat me up something terrible and I'm 6'2 220 lbs. Using a small 22 inch now. Takes longer but I no longer feel beat up after using. At that time I had a very large driveway so I needed a larger machine. A 22 to 24 inch is perfect now.

Well said. Exactly my point about being careful about your purchase. Put some thought into it, not just for today, but 10 or 15 years down the road.

( Unless your intent is to "need" a new machine.....when the wife "asks" why?) LOL

Life is short, so if you don't have the strength to laugh at yourself,
call me.....I'll laugh at you!
2014 Ariens Deluxe 28 with 291 CC Engine
2011 John Deere JS36 Self Propelled Mower
Too many Craftsman Mechanic/Yard tools to mention
post #9 of 23 Old 01-18-2020, 06:17 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 13
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 50
I've used both. If you are talking strictly flat, long, paths, like a parking lot of long wide driveway, the wider the better. But like other's have stated, if you have to turn repeatedly, the narrower the better. Don't forget, in most cases, when you go super wide, your power ratio is diminished because most manufacturers use the same identical motor on the 28 or 30 that they use on the 32 to 36 inch model's. So if you happen to be in a situation with lots of wet slushy snow, or really deep, 2 feet plus snow, you're more than likely going to have to take half slices with the larger machine or go slower because it simply cannot cycle that quantity or weight of snow thru the impeller. That's why I purposely chose the 28" 420 CC Ariens over the 32 machine: more power per sq ft.
In other words, buying a 36 inch machine with the same size/power of your 28 inch machine could be disappointing, and could even be quite frustrating, if you are forced to go slower with the 36 inch machine or take a half or 3/4 cut vs your 28, and on top of it, lost some maneuverability and garage space.

2019 Ariens Pro 28" RapidTrac
Likes ericr liked this post
post #10 of 23 Old 01-18-2020, 10:20 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by BNSFguy View Post
if you happen to be in a situation with lots of wet slushy snow, or really deep, 2 feet plus snow, you're more than likely going to have to take half slices with the larger machine or go slower because it simply cannot cycle that quantity or weight of snow thru the impeller.
True, but I'll advocate for the opposite side.

If you are in that situation, a wider machine has the option of taking narrower passes to adjust the amount of snow (or speed of forward movement) to compensate.

But in every other condition where the wider machine can handle the depth and/or moisture content, a narrower machine does NOT have the option of taking wider passes to get the job done sooner. You can't stretch the narrower machine to be wider... a wider machine can act like a narrower machine, but a narrower machine cannot act like a wider one.

This is precisely how I ended up with my 2019 Pro32. Largest available engine, coupled to a nice wide throat for when the snow is cooperative, and a narrower throat (via narrower passes) when the snow is not cooperative. This has worked extremely well; we've had all types of snow and I've done everything from half-width passes in heavy slush to full width passes in powder. You can even vary the width during the same plow job... I've gone narrower in areas where the roof sheds its snow into semi-solid piles, then back to tearing it up with full passes for the freshly fallen stuff everywhere else.

Just another way to look at it.
Likes rod330 liked this post
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page