New Dipstick Tube on Old Tecumseh - o-ring? - Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 Old 01-18-2020, 10:10 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 16
Thanks (Received): 3
Likes (Given): 10
Likes (Received): 11
New Dipstick Tube on Old Tecumseh - o-ring?

I recently decided to treat my ol' 924039 to one of those newer dipsticks with the long tube. I was kinda surprised to see that the only o-ring that came with the kit is for the yellow cap. Is there supposed to be something that seals the black plastic tube to the engine block? I am referring to where I circled in the attached picture.

The old dipstick had a paper gasket that I unfortunately ripped trying to get it cleanly on the new black tube. Does the fact that the tube is plastic make it seal adequately?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9400.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	139.5 KB
ID:	162623  

My machine:
1979 Ariens 924039 (24", 8hp w/ differential)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 01-18-2020, 10:40 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 150
Likes (Given): 1
Likes (Received): 543
If I recall, those plastic dip stick tubes have an O-ring on the lower area.

I just use the normal case check/fill plug.
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 1 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes Kiss4aFrog liked this post
post #3 of 11 Old 01-18-2020, 11:53 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 86
Likes (Given): 241
Likes (Received): 202
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stang View Post
I recently decided to treat my ol' 924039 to one of those newer dipsticks with the long tube. I was kinda surprised to see that the only o-ring that came with the kit is for the yellow cap. Is there supposed to be something that seals the black plastic tube to the engine block? I am referring to where I circled in the attached picture.

The old dipstick had a paper gasket that I unfortunately ripped trying to get it cleanly on the new black tube. Does the fact that the tube is plastic make it seal adequately?
I've done this upgrade to some older Tecumsehs when I happen to have one from a parts engine, and the tubes don't seem to have provisions for an O-ring where it meets the block.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 11 Old 01-18-2020, 12:53 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Originally Posted by oneacer View Post
If I recall, those plastic dip stick tubes have an O-ring on the lower area.

I just use the normal case check/fill plug.
Hmmm the one I have doesn't. I tried placing an adequately sized o-ring, but it seems like it would raise the tube a hair, as there doesn't seem to be a channel in which it can fit/compress.

Quote:
Originally Posted by db130 View Post
I've done this upgrade to some older Tecumsehs when I happen to have one from a parts engine, and the tubes don't seem to have provisions for an O-ring where it meets the block.
That does seem to be the case with this one. Any problems with leaks?

My machine:
post #5 of 11 Old 01-18-2020, 12:55 PM
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 590
Thanks (Received): 770
Likes (Given): 4371
Likes (Received): 1743
Garage
I don't know for sure but I'm guessing the engine doesn't have the machining to accept an O ring. You might be able to get one to fit.
You could always lay a small bead of silicone around the base of the tube after thoroughly cleaning it and the mating surface around the hole.

Make sure the windows are up before the snow plow goes by !!

Please help keep the lights on by subscribing:
post #6 of 11 Old 01-18-2020, 01:01 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 86
Likes (Given): 241
Likes (Received): 202
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stang View Post
Hmmm the one I have doesn't. I tried placing an adequately sized o-ring, but it seems like it would raise the tube a hair, as there doesn't seem to be a channel in which it can fit/compress.

That does seem to be the case with this one. Any problems with leaks?
None. Keep in mind that the oil sits on the bottom of the block and is splashed around by the oil flinger. It would need to defy gravity to creep up past the plastic threads. There's also the built-in flange at the bottom of the tube.

post #7 of 11 Old 01-18-2020, 01:28 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Originally Posted by db130 View Post
None. Keep in mind that the oil sits on the bottom of the block and is splashed around by the oil flinger. It would need to defy gravity to creep up past the plastic threads. There's also the built-in flange at the bottom of the tube.
Makes perfect sense. I was more concerned with leakage when the machine is perpendicular in service mode, but that's not a common occurrence anyway.

My machine:
post #8 of 11 Old 01-18-2020, 11:25 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 80
Thanks (Received): 47
Likes (Given): 277
Likes (Received): 157
I can't tell from the photo but did it come with a little bracket to attach the neck to the sheet metal on the engine shroud to prevent it from vibrating out? If not, perhaps you can fashion a "p" or "u" clip or even a hose clamp.

I see you also treated your girl to some of those newfangled shoes!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	pclip.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	182.7 KB
ID:	162717   Click image for larger version

Name:	uclip.jpeg
Views:	17
Size:	13.5 KB
ID:	162719  
post #9 of 11 Old 01-19-2020, 02:02 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Originally Posted by rod330 View Post
I can't tell from the photo but did it come with a little bracket to attach the neck to the sheet metal on the engine shroud to prevent it from vibrating out? If not, perhaps you can fashion a "p" or "u" clip or even a hose clamp.

I see you also treated your girl to some of those newfangled shoes!
Sharp eye! Actually, I took that picture right before I realized that I forgot to install the clip. I have it on now. It's a pretty tight fit - it bites so hard into it that it was impossible not to scratch the tube when installing it. No way it's vibrating loose now.

I ran the machine for 45 minutes last night and noticed no oil leaks at the block, so that's good.

Regarding the "newfangled shoes", I fretted over going for a pair of xtrac tires for the longest time and finally pulled the trigger. They make a night and day difference over the stock turf tires (sans chains). I have yet to encounter a situation where I need to lock the axle now, so I perpetually run it in open differential mode. Best upgrade I've made to the machine, aside from the impeller kit of course

My machine:
Likes rod330 liked this post
post #10 of 11 Old 01-19-2020, 02:17 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 2
Thanks (Received): 14
Likes (Given): 36
Likes (Received): 28
Never had a new tube, but have swapped in a few oldies. Plumbers teflon tape for a couple loose ones did the trick.
Likes Kiss4aFrog liked this post
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page