post #1 of 9 Old 02-05-2020, 11:43 AM Thread Starter
lnh

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 1
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 3
Slowing down a Platinum 24 SHO

There have been very few opportunities so far this season to put my new machine (921050) through its paces, but one thing I did notice when tackling the EOD was even 1st gear seemed a bit faster than I wanted especially compared with my old Honda HS828 where you could have it crawl as slow as needed. I'm not concerned with top speed gear 6 being a bit slower and faster reverse would be OK as well.

Logically it seems like moving the threaded connector on the rod upward should accomplish this change. Is this correct?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20200205_111148_1000px-Q80-v1__C1_SE.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	62.5 KB
ID:	163593  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 02-05-2020, 11:55 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 4
Likes (Received): 16
You are correct in your thoughts. Not exactly sure if your lever goes up or down for forward speeds as I’m not familiar with your model. But by threading that piece either up or down will complete your task.
post #3 of 9 Old 02-05-2020, 12:08 PM

Location: Sauble Beach Ontario Canada -Average annual snowfall - 130"
Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 11
Thanks (Received): 10
Likes (Given): 82
Likes (Received): 36
I too found that 1st gear was faster than I liked on my Ariens 28 SHO, especially for EOD piles and deep snow. I made the adjustment on the threaded rod you indicate so the drive wheel was just maxing out on the hex shaft bump stop when in R2. I still found 1st gear was faster than I liked.
My solution was to clamp the lever in place between the 1st forward and 1st reverse notches and find the desired speed by adjusting the clamp left or right. Mark the position and cut a new slot in the control panel. see attached photo.
Not sure if the Platimum series has the same control panel, but worked great on mine, also prevents the machine from climbing when going through the tough stuff.
Hope this helps

Slowing down a Platinum 24 SHO-inkedcont-panel_li.jpg

Keep smiling, it makes people wonder what you're up to!

2019 Ariens Deluxe 28 SHO
1967 Ariens 10965 24/5 Snow Thro
1983 Toro Power Shovel - 2 stroke
Post Thanks / Like - 2 Thanks, 4 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Thanks Jesse11B, BazookaJoe thanked for this post
Likes Town, classiccat, Shovel, BazookaJoe liked this post
post #4 of 9 Old 02-05-2020, 12:40 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy65 View Post
I too found that 1st gear was faster than I liked on my Ariens 28 SHO, especially for EOD piles and deep snow. I made the adjustment on the threaded rod you indicate so the drive wheel was just maxing out on the hex shaft bump stop when in R2. I still found 1st gear was faster than I liked.
My solution was to clamp the lever in place between the 1st forward and 1st reverse notches and find the desired speed by adjusting the clamp left or right. Mark the position and cut a new slot in the control panel. see attached photo.
Not sure if the Platimum series has the same control panel, but worked great on mine, also prevents the machine from climbing when going through the tough stuff.
Hope this helps

Attachment 163595
That's awesome! I was playing with my machine and the adjustment and like you I tried putting it between the f1 and r1. I wondered about cutting a slot but thought that I would get some time on it in the full up adjustment before I tried modifying my new machine and possibly mess up my warranty if I ever need it. Good job, it looks clean...... Now you got me thinking again! haha
post #5 of 9 Old 02-05-2020, 01:02 PM

Location: Minneapolis suburb that is the sister city to Lomianki Poland
Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 169
Thanks (Received): 68
Likes (Given): 1206
Likes (Received): 293
Garage
If a person is just trying to raise the position of the block on the rod could one just use a die and cut more thread on the rod? I would rather do that instead of cutting the control panel.

Wake me up when the snow's done...
post #6 of 9 Old 02-05-2020, 01:16 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kobuk View Post
That's awesome! I was playing with my machine and the adjustment and like you I tried putting it between the f1 and r1. I wondered about cutting a slot but thought that I would get some time on it in the full up adjustment before I tried modifying my new machine and possibly mess up my warranty if I ever need it. Good job, it looks clean...... Now you got me thinking again! haha
Thanks Kobuk. When I got the SHO last year 1st gear seemed fast to me, I had been used to my old Ariens which crawls in first. I thought about modifying the SHO but like you was worried what it would do to the warranty. This year with one of the few snowfalls we had I was using the old Ariens to do the EOD and realized it just felt more comfortable at the slow crawl and did not rise up at all. So I said the heck with it and went to the garage and did the mod on the SHO. Only took 15 minutes and I am very happy with the speed now (had a couple of 4 to 5" dumps, although I would really like some snow to give it a good work out.

post #7 of 9 Old 02-05-2020, 02:17 PM

Location: North Dallas area and UP of MI, average snowfall 202"
Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 26
Thanks (Received): 84
Likes (Given): 85
Likes (Received): 252
My Plat 24 crawls in 1st, and I have all forward and reverse speeds, so the needed range of adjustment seems like it should be there.
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 1 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes gibbs296 liked this post
post #8 of 9 Old 02-05-2020, 02:42 PM Thread Starter
lnh

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 1
Likes (Received): 3
Many thanks for all the responses. I pulled the pin and wound the piece up the rod several rotations. From the starting location, more than about 3 rotations made it so I couldn't move the lever into reverse. I settled on 3 rotations up which did slow down gear 1 and would still allow one reverse gear. It wouldn't go into reverse 2 anymore. For now I'm OK with this compromise as the Ariens doesn't blow snow all that great in reverse anyways 😉. Now for a snowfall to really test. Notching an extra slow gear as shown is probably the best solution, but I'll give this a try first.
post #9 of 9 Old 02-05-2020, 03:14 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Originally Posted by gibbs296 View Post
If a person is just trying to raise the position of the block on the rod could one just use a die and cut more thread on the rod? I would rather do that instead of cutting the control panel.
The issue with the rod adjustment is that there is a stop (pin) on the hex shaft that limits the speed of R2, long before you run out of thread. If you adjust the rod/nut too far you hit the stop before you are into R2 and are binding the lever when you put selector in R2 slot.
This is what I found for my machine, others have said their first gear was a crawl just by setting up as per owners manual, but for some reason my speed was faster than I liked.
Cheers

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page