Brand New Ariens Platinum 24 Sho 3500 RPM Normal? - Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 37 Old 02-09-2020, 06:12 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 1
Hi, i am new to this forum and i owned a Ariens deluxe 24 prior to the platinum 24 sho. I am also a gear head and own my own car electronics company with more than 20 years experience. I also already moded the sho with an Led bar and a custom switch and led turn On notification for the led bar as well as led On notification for the OEM heated hand warmers.

So I recently bought the Platinum 24 Sho(2 weeks ago) and we got hit with the biggest snowstorm of the winter last friday (20 inches). So uppon using the snowblower which was quite a treat i noticed that the engine did bog down quite a bit from the snow drift that was very compacted and heavy. I checked the rpm and it reads 3500, in the manual it says it should run at 3600 rpm +- 100rpm, is there a way to set it higher and is it safe for the engine? Will it add more power??

Last edited by Nickdatech; 02-12-2020 at 11:54 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 37 Old 02-09-2020, 06:33 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 23
Thanks (Received): 53
Likes (Given): 80
Likes (Received): 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickdatech View Post
Hi, i am new to this forum and i own a Ariens deluxe 24 prior to the platinum 24 sho. I am also a gear head and own my own car electronics company with more than 20 years experience. I also already moded the sho with an Led bar and a custom switch and led turn On notification for the led bar as well as led On notification for the heated hand warmers.

So I recently bought the Platinum 24 Sho(2 weeks ago) and we got hit with the biggest snowstorm of the winter last friday (20 inches). So uppon using the snowblower which was quite a treat i noticed that the engine did bog down quite a bit from the snow drift that was very compacted and heavy. I checked the rpm and it reads 3500, in the manual it says it should run at 3600 rpm +- 100rpm, is there a way to set it higher and is it safe for the engine? Will it add more power??
Just use it the rings may have not seated good yet..It can take several hours sometimes.
The extra 100 RPM will not cure a bog.
Also your machine has a high impeller speed which consumes alot of power.
You can sneak in a little choke and see if it help the bog...if it does you can increase your main jet size.
I would use the machine for a few more hours before I become concerned as it will probably pick up on power

What was the RPM pulling down to?

Sent from my LM-Q710.FG using Tapatalk

Last edited by Shovel; 02-09-2020 at 06:35 PM.
post #3 of 37 Old 02-09-2020, 06:40 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 2
Thanks (Received): 27
Likes (Given): 134
Likes (Received): 52
Garage
First post needs a hearty welcome..Hearty Welcome from the Burg.

Perpetual optimism is a force multiplier!!
2019 Ariens Compact 24...
2013 Craftsman 22" 179cc better than shoveling
XM -1000, galvanized steel Shovel with gator grip tape....
Big Bad Kubota as a backup by neighbor.....
post #4 of 37 Old 02-09-2020, 06:46 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
I didn't have the rpm installed when i use the snowblower this weekend. I just checked it today so I don't know how low it gets. Ill probably install the rpm meter and do a run in the backyard just for reference this week and see the results.

I also read a post on this forum that someone bumped the rpm +200 and he said it made quite a difference!
post #5 of 37 Old 02-09-2020, 06:47 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Originally Posted by penna stogey View Post
First post needs a hearty welcome..Hearty Welcome from the Burg.
Thank u Sir, I appreciate the welcome, Cheers
post #6 of 37 Old 02-09-2020, 07:00 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 13
Thanks (Received): 126
Likes (Given): 146
Likes (Received): 286
There are 3 holes the governor spring can go into, I believe stock is the center hole, I forget which way increases it but moving to the next hole will bring up the rpm slightly but I would wait until it's broken in before changing it up.

Sno-Tek Modded, 15"X-Track tires (Now has same X-Track tires but 13"x4" for better fit), 254cc engine LED light and hand warmers.
Snapper 6/22 sold but not forgotten. Was my first.
Ariens ST1027LE workhorse and going strong.
New 2017 Ariens Deluxe completely rebuilt after losing a fight with a forklift.
post #7 of 37 Old 02-09-2020, 07:08 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dauntae View Post
There are 3 holes the governor spring can go into, I believe stock is the center hole, I forget which way increases it but moving to the next hole will bring up the rpm slightly but I would wait until it's broken in before changing it up.
Ok ill do that, and how long is the breaking in process??
post #8 of 37 Old 02-09-2020, 07:13 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
I didn't have the rpm installed when i use the snowblower this weekend. I just checked it today so I don't know how low it gets. Ill probably install the rpm meter and do a run in the backyard just for reference this week and see the results.

I also read a post on this forum that someone bumped the rpm +200 and he said it made quite a difference!
You shouldn't need to increase the speed on that machine.. already has a high impeller speed and a large engine... I guess you always could later but I would be more interested in seeing if the power picks up while stock...it should be a beast..
You can always blow some snow if front of you to give it a real workout and increase your working time.
If you are comfortable with checking your valve clearance you could do that very early on..an exhaust valve with to small a clearance can rob you of power..the exhaust valve heats up during a good workout ..closes the clearance and then the valve isn't closed all the way...the power will return after sitting a short spell

post #9 of 37 Old 02-10-2020, 12:06 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 76
Thanks (Received): 41
Likes (Given): 241
Likes (Received): 118
Good advice here from Shovel and Dauntae.

Another thing you'll want to check after the break-in period is your auger belt tension. This is the belt closest to the auger and is adjusted by moving the tension pulley (refer to your manual for details).

The Platinum 24 SHO is a top notch machine.
post #10 of 37 Old 02-10-2020, 12:50 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Ok ill do that, and how long is the breaking in process??
That's a good question.. I have seen some Chevrolets that didn't really start running until about 100 thousand miles lol
I have driven a Hyundai with 30 miles on it that would accelerate like a champ.
These Chinese small engines we have are actually pretty decent but it can take a few hours as with any engine to seat the rings.
There are many schools of thought on how to do a break in..load the engine and unload seems to be the most accepted for a low hour engine..we want to generate heat.but we may have areas of the rings that are touching the wall and other areas that aren't..that higher friction area is already running hotter ..so we don't want to lug the engine.. you are broke in when the oil film on the cylinder wall is sealing the rings..this may take several hours or longer.

As a side note you can speed up the break in with the fuel method without a load.
Run full throttle... push primer bulb..the extra fuel washes the oil away giving the rings more contact area..it is cooling at the same time....a pump...let it clear out..then give it another pump in a few seconds...a cycle of ten or so... let it run a minute or two and repeat.. five sets of ten is good enough....it's just a way to get a head start with the break in...still needs to be worked however

Last edited by Shovel; 02-10-2020 at 01:09 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page