LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 Old 02-10-2020, 12:03 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 0
Deluxe 28 SHO pinion shaft help

I have a one-year-old Deluxe 28 SHO and it broke on Friday in a way I can't figure out. The pinion shaft (part number 6 in this diagram: https://www.partstree.com/models/921...-swing-gate-8/) can slide to the left - when it does, the bushing can slide out of the body on the right and the shaft can then wobble within the hole and it won't engage the drive teeth on the wheel axle. I don't know if that's a good enough description of the problem, but it's the best I can do.

So the problem is that I must be missing some kind of thing that keeps the shaft from sliding right to left, but don't know what part I'm missing, and the parts diagram is useless - I believe I have all the parts in the diagram that would matter - the bushings, spring pins, and washers. Is this a common problem or does someone just have pictures of the inside and outside of the body showing the pinion shaft and all it's components? I'm amazed at how hard it is to just find a picture of the thing in working condition so I can see what I'm missing.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 02-10-2020, 12:36 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 85
Thanks (Received): 21
Likes (Given): 124
Likes (Received): 131
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by yossarian View Post
I have a one-year-old Deluxe 28 SHO and it broke on Friday in a way I can't figure out. The pinion shaft (part number 6 in this diagram: https://www.partstree.com/models/921...-swing-gate-8/) can slide to the left - when it does, the bushing can slide out of the body on the right and the shaft can then wobble within the hole and it won't engage the drive teeth on the wheel axle. I don't know if that's a good enough description of the problem, but it's the best I can do.

So the problem is that I must be missing some kind of thing that keeps the shaft from sliding right to left, but don't know what part I'm missing, and the parts diagram is useless - I believe I have all the parts in the diagram that would matter - the bushings, spring pins, and washers. Is this a common problem or does someone just have pictures of the inside and outside of the body showing the pinion shaft and all it's components? I'm amazed at how hard it is to just find a picture of the thing in working condition so I can see what I'm missing.

I don't mean to insult you, but with what you are describing, I am wondering if you have both Cotter-type pins that are embedded in the shaft, to prevent the shaft from moving to either side. I don't know how the pins would break, or disappear in the machine, but anything is possible. Maybe just check to ensure that both pins are in the shaft?

Life is short, so if you don't have the strength to laugh at yourself,
call me.....I'll laugh at you!
2014 Ariens Deluxe 28 with 291 CC Engine
2011 John Deere JS36 Self Propelled Mower
Too many Craftsman Mechanic/Yard tools to mention
post #3 of 15 Old 02-10-2020, 12:39 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 6
Thanks (Received): 32
Likes (Given): 46
Likes (Received): 52
This might help.
https://apache.ariens.com/manuals/05001330G.pdf

1986 Toro 524 (Predator 212 Hemi, Impeller Mod.)
1997 Toro 724
1997 Toro 824XL Power Throw
post #4 of 15 Old 02-10-2020, 01:06 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 66
Thanks (Received): 123
Likes (Given): 114
Likes (Received): 157
Garage
Here is a pic of my pinion shaft showing the pins. The gear side has a grease nipple on the end of the plain shaft. On the other side is a retaining bracket against that shaft.

Ariens will have a manual for your machine that has excellent parts info. Free to download.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Trans pinion shaft with retaining pins.JPG
Views:	20
Size:	199.5 KB
ID:	163787  

2015 Ariens Platinum 30 SHO - model 921040
post #5 of 15 Old 02-10-2020, 01:20 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Originally Posted by Town View Post
Here is a pic of my pinion shaft showing the pins. The gear side has a grease nipple on the end of the plain shaft. On the other side is a retaining bracket against that shaft.

Ariens will have a manual for your machine that has excellent parts info. Free to download.
It sounds like a retaining bracket is what I'm missing - I don't have anything on the left side of the case to keep the shaft from sliding around. But I don't see any part number for a retaining bracket in the parts diagram (https://redirect.viglink.com/?format...wing-gate-8%2F). Can you post a picture of it, or the part number if I'm just missing it (or more likely staring right at it and not understanding what I'm looking at).
post #6 of 15 Old 02-10-2020, 02:26 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cutter View Post
I don't mean to insult you, but with what you are describing, I am wondering if you have both Cotter-type pins that are embedded in the shaft, to prevent the shaft from moving to either side. I don't know how the pins would break, or disappear in the machine, but anything is possible. Maybe just check to ensure that both pins are in the shaft?
That was my first thought when I saw the diagram - I have one pin, but not two - and I don't see a spot for a second one. The one I have is next to the big pinion gear and it is tight to a washer... Is there supposed to be a second? Where?
post #7 of 15 Old 02-10-2020, 05:28 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
OK Here's pictures and a video to explain:
https://imgur.com/a/WvJ6CVe

The pictures should show exactly what is and is not on my snowblower and the video should show how the shaft can slide from side to side and how that results in the gears not engaging. What am I missing?
post #8 of 15 Old 02-10-2020, 05:49 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Garage
Quote:
It sounds like a retaining bracket is what I'm missing - I don't have anything on the left side of the case to keep the shaft from sliding around. But I don't see any part number for a retaining bracket in the parts diagram .
Attached is the pic of the pinion retainer (just to left of wheel axle) on my machine. There are 2 spring clips on the pinion shaft and they are just like the spring clips for the hex shaft shifter stops. Here are the part numbers for my machine using the Ariens diagram id numbers and part numbers:

14 is the spacer on inside of chassis on the pinion shaft, part # 05500029
22 is the pin that goes thru the pinion shaft on left side, part # 05800205
7 is the anti rotation tab secured with a bolt (my retainer), part # 00503500
23 is the bolt that secures the anti rotation tab to the chassis, part # 07400034
17 is the spring clip that retains the pinion shaft inside the chassis, one for left side against spacer (#14), part # 06714500 (2 clips required).

I have scanned the document with the above numbers and will attach to a following post, if I can.

Since your machine is new and has a warranty then I would contact the dealer for a warranty claim.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Left axle and pinion shaft retainer.JPG
Views:	16
Size:	176.3 KB
ID:	163789  

post #9 of 15 Old 02-10-2020, 05:57 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Garage
Quote:
OK Here's pictures and a video to explain:
https://imgur.com/a/WvJ6CVe

The pictures should show exactly what is and is not on my snowblower and the video should show how the shaft can slide from side to side and how that results in the gears not engaging. What am I missing?
Didn't see the pics, but the video shows you are missing the spacer on left side and also the spring clip. The pinion shaft does not rotate at all, it is fixed or should be. The chain gear and the drive cog for the differential are mounted on a bushing that is greased by a nipple on the right side of the pinion shaft at the end of the shaft. The nipple is covered by a rubber cover.

post #10 of 15 Old 02-10-2020, 06:09 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Garage
I made a scan that is 400 kb in pdf format but it exceeds the 19.5 kb allowed for an upload. I know it can be done so a little more research is needed on how.

Sorry.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page