New to snowblowers, with a new to me ST824 - Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 Old 02-11-2020, 02:08 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 5
New to snowblowers, with a new to me ST824

Hi all,

Posted up my official intro a few days ago in the proper forum, and now I'm popping over here to lay out what I've got and ask for general guidelines.

While I was off on business, we got sacked with some wet heavy snow back home and my better half decided enough was enough and bought a blower from someone down the road. It's an ST824; plate on the back says the model is 924050. Now, I've never so much as touched a snowblower in my life, so this is brand new territory for me. From what I've been reading, it *sounds* like this is a fairly well respected model...right?

If anybody has super noob tips that they'd like to share, let me hear it! I know nothing about this world...don't know how these machines are supposed to sound, handle, etc. I have no real benchmark for "this thing works great!" vs "huh, it shouldn't be doing this". I guess I don't have any specific questions just yet as I still haven't even fired it up myself, and I don't even know what questions I should be asking. Thanks in advance!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 02-11-2020, 02:14 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 13
Thanks (Received): 126
Likes (Given): 146
Likes (Received): 286
Although a older model itís one of the better 924 series as many refer to them, So the better half did real well picking one out especially if itís in good shape.

Sno-Tek Modded, 15"X-Track tires (Now has same X-Track tires but 13"x4" for better fit), 254cc engine LED light and hand warmers.
Snapper 6/22 sold but not forgotten. Was my first.
Ariens ST1027LE workhorse and going strong.
New 2017 Ariens Deluxe completely rebuilt after losing a fight with a forklift.
post #3 of 13 Old 02-11-2020, 02:23 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 5
Thanks (Received): 2
Likes (Given): 12
Likes (Received): 12
Best advise I can give is to thoroughly read the owners manual if the seller provided you with it and if he/she didn't, go online and read it. Then make sure all of the required maintenance has been performed on that machine. Next most important thing is to always use non-ethanol fuel in it and if that is impossible to find in your area, use a good stabilizer treatment with your gas. Good luck with it, the Ariens is a decent machine.
post #4 of 13 Old 02-11-2020, 02:57 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Likes (Received): 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by NWRider View Post
Next most important thing is to always use non-ethanol fuel in it and if that is impossible to find in your area, use a good stabilizer treatment with your gas.
Thank you for this! The manual (not included, but already found online) is on my list, but the fuel thing is something I didn't have a clue about and probably would have managed to overlook.

Looks like it was repainted by a previous owner - no visible rust on the main shell, but the paint is clearly thicker in spots than others, like the main layer had flaked off before or something.
post #5 of 13 Old 02-11-2020, 03:51 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 6
Thanks (Received): 50
Likes (Given): 44
Likes (Received): 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by NWRider View Post
Best advise I can give is to thoroughly read the owners manual if the seller provided you with it and if he/she didn't, go online and read it. Then make sure all of the required maintenance has been performed on that machine. Next most important thing is to always use non-ethanol fuel in it and if that is impossible to find in your area, use a good stabilizer treatment with your gas. Good luck with it, the Ariens is a decent machine.

Non-ethanol fuel is really expensive to use during normal use periods, so do research in these forums to find what works best for you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #6 of 13 Old 02-12-2020, 11:26 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 2
Thanks (Received): 5
Likes (Given): 3
Likes (Received): 22
Used Blower

Assuming that everything works properly and the blower has been well maintained the first thing I would do is check the oil, plugs, augers / shear pins, belts, and the impeller. You're also going to want to check the trans for proper operation. Lubricate all friction points. Plenty of videos on YouTube will show you what to look for and how to do it. Read your manual and bring all maintenance checks up to date. If all checks out I would then set the scrapper bar, shoes to the proper setting and top off the tire pressure. Make sure the scrapper bar has not been damaged. I would then dump the gas and start with a fresh tank. Pour in some Sea Foam and you should be good to go. Get used to using fuel additive with every tank. Especially if your engine is an OHV. (Over Head Valve) Use the fuel shutoff valve to run the carb dry after each use. Note: check the manual for the correct starting procedure. Once you are familiar with how to use the machine you can decide what modifications if any you would like to make.

Last edited by BlowerMods1; 02-12-2020 at 11:42 AM.
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 1 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes squid3083 liked this post
post #7 of 13 Old 02-13-2020, 10:47 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Likes (Received): 1
Greetings. The suggestions given already pretty much cover everything you need to know.
You spoke of a wet, heavy snowfall recently. With time, you will learn that all snow isn't created equal with respect to how easily a machine can move it. Generally speaking, wet slushy snow (usually seen when temps hover around freezing) won't be thrown as far (if at all) as snow that has fallen during colder temperatures. The latter having a texture that is more like sand. Generally, I've found it easier to move recently fallen snow than snow that has lingered for a number of hours, if not days.

Finally, NEVER stick your hand down the chute or get anywhere near the two augurs while the machine is running. Also, dangling hoodie strings, scarfs, untucked shirt tails, etc. can easily be wrapped around moving parts. I always pull the spark plug wire off of the plug anytime I need to get inside the augur housing or remove the belt cover.

I'm no mechanical genius yet I've owned my Ariens for 14 years and I've never found the need to take it to the shop. With the help of kind folks on this forum and elsewhere (youtube), I've been able to change belts, replace a starter, clean and eventually replace the carb, and make numerous other adjustments. I change oil frequently, using synthetic and I use ethanol free fuel which is readily available in my region. While I'm a complainer by nature, I have to admit that most of the time, using my blower is actually fun. As you gain experience using the machine, you will become more adept, efficient, and may find times when blowing snow around is actually fun.

Last edited by knifedealer; 02-13-2020 at 10:55 AM.
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 1 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes Ziggy65 liked this post
post #8 of 13 Old 02-13-2020, 10:55 AM
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 70
Thanks (Received): 385
Likes (Given): 177
Likes (Received): 892
Quote:
Originally Posted by e.fisher26 View Post
Non-ethanol fuel is really expensive to use during normal use periods, so do research in these forums to find what works best for you.
I wouldn't say its "really expensive". I would say its "very slightly more expensive, but so slightly more expensive that the extra cost is sooooooo worth it to greatly decrease gas related problems"

Non-ethanol at the pump around here (western NY) is about a dollar more per gallon..
I probably go through 10 gallons of gas total per year, snowblowers and lawn mowers combined.
So..an extra $10 per year compared to regular gas with ethanol..
Not really worth debating the cost! IMO, its a non-issue.

Scot

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 3 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes Town, Kiss4aFrog, Ziggy65 liked this post
post #9 of 13 Old 02-13-2020, 11:39 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 6
Thanks (Received): 50
Likes (Given): 44
Likes (Received): 65
Itís by area, we donít have non e pumps here, so itís $80 for a 5 gal or $20 for one gal

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #10 of 13 Old 02-13-2020, 11:58 AM
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 572
Thanks (Received): 743
Likes (Given): 4224
Likes (Received): 1643
Garage
I agree with Scot unless e.fisher was talking about something like TruFuel. That stuff can be around $20 a gallon or more depending on where you get it and if you buy one can or a case.
I always try to use ethanol free from the pump but I could never justify using something like TruFuel at 7X + the cost of pump gas in my equipment. That's just me. I go through too much fuel especially in the riding lawn tractors mowing and blowing.

NAPA 32oz - - > https://www.napaonline.com/en/p/RPR6527238
HomeDepot case - - > https://www.homedepot.com/p/TruFuel-...7238/203572162

Make sure the windows are up before the snow plow goes by !!

Please help keep the lights on by subscribing:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page