post #1 of 33 Old 03-05-2020, 10:24 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 0
Platinum 24 SHO vs Delux 28 SHO

Hello,
I'm new to this forum, only have been reading a lot here for past 2 days as I'm thinking to buy a first snowblower at off season sales.

I definently have fixated on Ariens brand. It's only the model I'm unable to decide.

I know the same question has been asked few times here but my situation is little different.

I've a two car garage (240' wide) and 4 car length slightly sloped driveway. I'm in upstate NY area where the snow fall is not worse. We do get some wet snow occasionally but rarely more than a foot.

I'm inclined towards 24 SHO because of its smaller size.
However, my question is - Can the speed of Platinum 24 SHO make up for the less number of runs on Deluxe 28 SHO?

Looking for your suggestions for my situation.
thanks in advance!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 33 Old 03-06-2020, 01:03 AM

Location: North Dallas area and UP of MI, average snowfall 202"
Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 26
Thanks (Received): 84
Likes (Given): 84
Likes (Received): 245
Likely. The Plat 24 has a power to width that is so much higher than a Deluxe I would be surprised if the Plat wan't actually faster. Impeller and chute should be the same on both, so nothijg holding the 24 back in that regard. Never seen anything eat hard pack EOD like my P24 . . .

I assume you mean 24 feet wide and not 240? If so, then that's 12 passes (6 out and back, neglecting overlap) vs about 10 with the 28 (saves one out and back) which does not seem like much to make up to me, especially in modest show conditions.
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 1 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes Kiss4aFrog liked this post
post #3 of 33 Old 03-06-2020, 02:45 AM
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 18
Thanks (Received): 93
Likes (Given): 673
Likes (Received): 235
welcome to the snow blower forum jeff.
post #4 of 33 Old 03-06-2020, 05:35 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Originally Posted by tadawson View Post
Likely. The Plat 24 has a power to width that is so much higher than a Deluxe I would be surprised if the Plat wan't actually faster. Impeller and chute should be the same on both, so nothijg holding the 24 back in that regard. Never seen anything eat hard pack EOD like my P24 . . .

I assume you man 24 feet wide and not 240? If so, then that's 12 passes (6 out and back, neglecting overlap) vs about 10 with the 28 (saves one out and back) which does not seem like much to make up to me, especially in modest show conditions.
Oops, yes I meant to say 240" wide, which is about 20 feet.
EOD snowpack is definitely important to consider in choosing one of these. Thank you for your suggestion.
I see that Plat 24 SHO is 10 lbs more than Deluxe 28 SHO even though lesser in width, not sure which one of these are easy maneuverable while turning.

I've also read about some issues with autoturn feature on Ariens models. Is that something worthy of a concern to think about?
post #5 of 33 Old 03-06-2020, 08:31 AM
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 581
Thanks (Received): 759
Likes (Given): 4294
Likes (Received): 1711
Garage
I think you should go for the Platinum 24. Solid machine, nice sized engine (369cc vs 306cc) for that EOD and should be easily maneuverable.
There were issues with the past Auto-Turns but they made an engineering change to the 2016/2017 machines and if you're buying new it shouldn't be an issue.

https://www.snowblowerforum.com/foru...-turn-fix.html

Make sure the windows are up before the snow plow goes by !!

Please help keep the lights on by subscribing:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 33 Old 03-06-2020, 10:03 AM

Location: Sauble Beach Ontario Canada -Average annual snowfall - 130"
Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 3
Thanks (Received): 7
Likes (Given): 39
Likes (Received): 28
Hi Jeff and welcome to the forum.

I have a Deluxe 28 SHO, and am very happy with its performance and quality. I was impressed with how well it handled the 2 feet of snow we got a week ago. My driveway is a U shape and probably measure 200+ feet long.

Platinum 24 SHO vs Delux 28 SHO-winter20203.jpg

However, I think for your situation, the Platinum 24 is the better choice. With relatively small driveway you won't see much benefit from the extra 4 inch width. The 369 cc engine and 24" width, make the Platinum one beast of a snowblower.

The auto turn on my Ariens works great on my gravel driveway. It is very maneuverable between vehicles and is effortless to turn around, even when moving it around in garage with engine not running.

In Canada the price for the Platinum 24 SHO is $2429.00 and the Deluxe 28 SHO is $2140.00. I was able to get a great deal from my local dealer last year (late February) on the 28 SHO - approx. 25% off.
So it might be worth while to shop around your local dealers to see if they are discounting them now.

You will not be disappointed with either of these machines.

Good luck with your seach.

Keep smiling, it makes people wonder what you're up to!

2019 Ariens Deluxe 28 SHO
1967 Ariens 10965 24/5 Snow Thro
1983 Toro Power Shovel - 2 stroke
Likes Kiss4aFrog liked this post
post #7 of 33 Old 03-06-2020, 11:27 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy65 View Post
Hi Jeff and welcome to the forum.

I have a Deluxe 28 SHO, and am very happy with its performance and quality. I was impressed with how well it handled the 2 feet of snow we got a week ago. My driveway is a U shape and probably measure 200+ feet long.

Attachment 164573

However, I think for your situation, the Platinum 24 is the better choice. With relatively small driveway you won't see much benefit from the extra 4 inch width. The 369 cc engine and 24" width, make the Platinum one beast of a snowblower.

The auto turn on my Ariens works great on my gravel driveway. It is very maneuverable between vehicles and is effortless to turn around, even when moving it around in garage with engine not running.

In Canada the price for the Platinum 24 SHO is $2429.00 and the Deluxe 28 SHO is $2140.00. I was able to get a great deal from my local dealer last year (late February) on the 28 SHO - approx. 25% off.
So it might be worth while to shop around your local dealers to see if they are discounting them now.

You will not be disappointed with either of these machines.

Good luck with your seach.
Thank you! Based on your and others' suggestions, I think I should put my choice to rest.
So far I've found only one dealer locally that has the Plat 24 SHO and is giving for 15% off. Good that you got 25% . Not sure if we get better deals on the old models before next winter when new year models come out.

This is my first time shopping for a snowblower, not sure their cycle is similar to that of cars.
post #8 of 33 Old 03-06-2020, 11:51 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 33
Thanks (Received): 62
Likes (Given): 110
Likes (Received): 129
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff011 View Post
Thank you! Based on your and others' suggestions, I think I should put my choice to rest.
So far I've found only one dealer locally that has the Plat 24 SHO and is giving for 15% off. Good that you got 25% . Not sure if we get better deals on the old models before next winter when new year models come out.

This is my first time shopping for a snowblower, not sure their cycle is similar to that of cars.
I bought a snowblower brand new in box ..March or April of 2019...Manufacturing date was in 2014..I think it was November...over four years old.
I got a great deal on it..but I don't think it was because of the age...Just the timing of the season.

Sent from my LM-Q710.FG using Tapatalk
post #9 of 33 Old 03-06-2020, 02:00 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 9
Thanks (Received): 3
Likes (Given): 10
Likes (Received): 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff011 View Post

Just one more thing. Before you commit with your purchase, check out the controls and layout of the controls themselves. Compare it against similar priced models from other brands like Honda and Toro, specifically the Powermax HD series.

I like Ariens build quality and robustness, but the user interface is horrific, IMO. It is not consistent across their snowblower consumer/prosumer/commercial lines. The drive speed selector and chute direction/deflector is a mess. Some goes left and right, some go forward and backwards. If Ariens produced motorcycles, I'm sure I would mistakenly grab the brakes instead of the clutch.

Not to rain on your parade, but I don't want you to be blinded by that shiny orange machine with big torquey engines, and thick plate steel and overlook the most important factor, the human/machine interface.

Last edited by aa335; 03-06-2020 at 02:06 PM.
Likes Shovel liked this post
post #10 of 33 Old 03-06-2020, 02:49 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 33
Thanks (Received): 62
Likes (Given): 110
Likes (Received): 129
Quote:
Originally Posted by aa335 View Post
Just one more thing. Before you commit with your purchase, check out the controls and layout of the controls themselves. Compare it against similar priced models from other brands like Honda and Toro, specifically the Powermax HD series.

I like Ariens build quality and robustness, but the user interface is horrific, IMO. It is not consistent across their snowblower consumer/prosumer/commercial lines. The drive speed selector and chute direction/deflector is a mess. Some goes left and right, some go forward and backwards. If Ariens produced motorcycles, I'm sure I would mistakenly grab the brakes instead of the clutch.

Not to rain on your parade, but I don't want you to be blinded by that shiny orange machine with big torquey engines, and thick plate steel and overlook the most important factor, the human/machine interface.
Good info.
As I say if both were out front /bought and paid for, which one would you grab first?
With two fully capable machines it comes down to whichever one is the most "pleasant' to operate

Sent from my LM-Q710.FG using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page