LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 28 Old 02-07-2014, 06:31 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 0
926LE Production Years

I'm looking at a 926LE craigslist item and need help confirming what I think I already know, but here goes. The item looks totally pristine and the ask is $850. It looks like the 926LE was made in 2006 and 2007 at cost $1200 new though the seller claims it is 1.5 years old and cost $1500. If 2006/2007 then $850 is too high. Were these made more recently? And is the original price correct? Thanks for any help.

Also, thanks to all who post here - I've been lurking for quite a while and learned a great deal from all of your posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 Old 02-07-2014, 07:26 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 1
Thanks (Received): 6
Likes (Given): 1
Likes (Received): 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by bagmite View Post
I'm looking at a 926LE craigslist item and need help confirming what I think I already know, but here goes. The item looks totally pristine and the ask is $850. It looks like the 926LE was made in 2006 and 2007 at cost $1200 new though the seller claims it is 1.5 years old and cost $1500. If 2006/2007 then $850 is too high. Were these made more recently? And is the original price correct? Thanks for any help.

Also, thanks to all who post here - I've been lurking for quite a while and learned a great deal from all of your posts.
I can tell you that mine is from 2006. I really dont think they made it in the last 2 years....at some point I believe it went from 926 (9HP 26" cut) to 927 (9HP 27" cut) and then I think they dropped the 9-series altogether. You are correct on the price point back in 06....mine was on clearance (didnt you just love when HD stocked WAAAAAAY too many blowers?) for 50% off the retail price. So I paid 600.00 brand new (I was just joking with the wife I bet I could sell it for that much, even after using it for 8 years)

Not sure they would divulge it but the serial number might help too.....Im not sure of Snowmann frequents this forum but I thought at one time he could tell build date and model year by the model and serial number.

Last edited by chrisexv6; 02-07-2014 at 07:28 PM.
post #3 of 28 Old 02-07-2014, 07:34 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
How has your 926LE treated you since the one I'm looking at is about the same age?
post #4 of 28 Old 02-07-2014, 07:41 PM
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 72
Thanks (Received): 397
Likes (Given): 182
Likes (Received): 931
There were three Ariens 926LE models, models 926001, 926007, or 926101.
Made in 2005 and 2006 only.
And there was a 926DLE from 2004.

So, 8 or 9 years old..I would walk away already, because the seller is either clueless, or lying..legitimate cluelessness can be ok, (if its just a dealer or reseller, not an owner/user) but if lying, walk away..(If he says he bought it new 1.5 years ago, that's a lie.)

Found a review here from 2008:
Ariens 926LE Deluxe Sno-Thros - 926001

guy says he paid $1,100 for it..
based on that, $850 seems high for a 8 or 9 year old machine, but not outrageously high..that could actually be a decent price, if it has been well cared and has little use..hard to say really. But it is an Ariens "Pro level" machine, which makes it a high-quality machine..Price comes down to age, original price, and current condition.

you now know two out of three..

Scot

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 28 Old 02-07-2014, 07:46 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Originally Posted by bagmite View Post
How has your 926LE treated you since the one I'm looking at is about the same age?
Honestly there hasnt been anything it doesnt go through. 2' diameter balls of end of driveway mess, 10" of wet heavy snow (literally just last weekend), etc.

I was just dealing with a knocking noise when I pulled the recoil but it turned out to be normal (cam "engaging" the valves) and really doesnt have anything to do with the "Ariens" part of the blower. The engine still runs great...a little hunt/surge at no-load-idle but thats normal for any EPA-controlled carb. Once under load (which snowblowers usually are!) it smooths out just fine.

The blower itself has required little to no maintenance....I just recently had to lube the pivot points of the drive engagement. Other than that its standard beginning of season stuff: lube the springs, grease the augers, air up the tires, etc.

Is it worth 850? Probably not, like you said. My guess is 400-500 would be a good price but I tend to shy away from buying used power equipment, so Im probably not the best judge of worth. If you ask me mine is priceless because I hate shovelling I would buy another one in a minute, even at close to full price from a dealer. I dont think you can go wrong with any Ariens blower, personally.
post #6 of 28 Old 02-07-2014, 10:39 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks to all who posted - decision is made to look elsewhere. Really a shame because it looks like a good unit in good condition. Maybe I'll look at new models.
post #7 of 28 Old 02-09-2014, 11:12 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Originally Posted by sscotsman View Post
There were three Ariens 926LE models, models 926001, 926007, or 926101.
Made in 2005 and 2006 only.
And there was a 926DLE from 2004.

So, 8 or 9 years old..I would walk away already, because the seller is either clueless, or lying..legitimate cluelessness can be ok, (if its just a dealer or reseller, not an owner/user) but if lying, walk away..(If he says he bought it new 1.5 years ago, that's a lie.)

Found a review here from 2008:
Ariens 926LE Deluxe Sno-Thros - 926001

guy says he paid $1,100 for it..
based on that, $850 seems high for a 8 or 9 year old machine, but not outrageously high..that could actually be a decent price, if it has been well cared and has little use..hard to say really. But it is an Ariens "Pro level" machine, which makes it a high-quality machine..Price comes down to age, original price, and current condition.

you now know two out of three..

Scot
The 926LE Deluxe-926001 wasn't the "Pro level" Ariens. It was the step below with aluminum gear case, smaller tires & L head motor.
post #8 of 28 Old 02-09-2014, 07:34 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Originally Posted by Runner50 View Post
The 926LE Deluxe-926001 wasn't the "Pro level" Ariens. It was the step below with aluminum gear case, smaller tires & L head motor.
I think he was referring to the 926DLE

The OP was asking about the 926LE (no D).

Its funny you mention the aluminum gearcase....i remember posts from Snowmann about it, talking about the extensive testing they did with it. Including sending bricks (!!!) through it, running with no gear oil, etc.

Did the gearcases start failing somewhere along the way? Mine is still chugging away without issue. I think it seeps a little, but nothing major (I check the level every season and maybe its a tiny bit low but nothing at all to complain about)
post #9 of 28 Old 02-10-2014, 08:43 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 2
Thanks (Received): 98
Likes (Given): 42
Likes (Received): 260
I have a 926001, and I will say that it is a beast. It will go through anything, and throws the slush a pretty good distance also. I highly recommend that model, but I also agree that the asking price is a bit steep. I would throw in a $500 offer and see if they bite, and go from there.

Not sure what it went for new, because I bought it off EBay from a seller that was 125 miles away, but it was brand new - literally. I only paid $475, plus about $25 in gas/tolls, so I have $500 into it.

The guy have a couple of them - claimed that that were in payment for some work he had done for someone, but I suspect they may have "fallen off the back of a truck". I wish I bought all of them, but I didn't have the room.
post #10 of 28 Old 02-10-2014, 10:37 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisexv6 View Post
I think he was referring to the 926DLE

The OP was asking about the 926LE (no D).

Its funny you mention the aluminum gearcase....i remember posts from Snowmann about it, talking about the extensive testing they did with it. Including sending bricks (!!!) through it, running with no gear oil, etc.

Did the gearcases start failing somewhere along the way? Mine is still chugging away without issue. I think it seeps a little, but nothing major (I check the level every season and maybe its a tiny bit low but nothing at all to complain about)

No, he was referring to the 926LE, which the OP asked about & was reviewed in the link provided by sscotsman. That's the way I read it.
Maybe sscotsman can clear that up if he wishes to.
Don't know if the aluminum gear cases were failing along the way, but there must be a good reason why Ariens went back to the cast iron ones at some point.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page