LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 Old 02-12-2013, 02:36 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 0
Ariens Repower Questions

I have a 70's mod. 922020 which has a hs50 tecumseh on it. During the Blizzard up here in New England It threw the rod and put a hole in the case. I have been hunting around for some time on various sites for info. on rebuild as I also have my grandfathers 10m6d which I would like to restore to working condition, its in poor shape w/seized engine. Anyway, I want to repower the 922020 on the cheap so I can spend a little more money and get a b&s or tec for the 10m6d.

Now the questions. I was looking at the HF predator 212 for the repower. My only concern is the lack of second output for the drive & reverse. How difficult is it to convert to a single output. I can't seem to find any detailed information on how to do it, IE different size belts or pully diameters. I am fairly handy but am by no means a mechanic. I am certain with some detailed instruction I could get this done, but I don't have a welder or anything like that to do serious mods. Any input would be appreciated. I know people have done it, I just need the info on how it was done. Thanks in advance!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 02-12-2013, 04:33 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 46
Thanks (Received): 73
Likes (Given): 62
Likes (Received): 115
Check out my former post since I have done the swap and my machine had 2 output shafts too. I do not miss my Tecumseh anymore. The Predator 212cc cuts through the snow like its not even there. It starts in 1 pull or 2 of the recoil and it doesn't bog like the Tecumseh did. I have videos of the re-powered MTD 5/22 throwing snow over 50 feet. Check out my posts I dealt with all the problems of changing a dual shaft engine snowblower over to a single shaft engine.
post #3 of 12 Old 02-13-2013, 08:13 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 10
Likes (Received): 35
There are plenty of 2 shaft engines on Craigslist. Just search for Tecumseh and see what you find. There's a guy near North Reading and another in Hudson that seem to have a lot of blower parts and engines.
post #4 of 12 Old 02-13-2013, 06:00 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Originally Posted by fdb16 View Post
I have a 70's mod. 922020 which has a hs50 tecumseh on it. During the Blizzard up here in New England It threw the rod and put a hole in the case. I have been hunting around for some time on various sites for info. on rebuild as I also have my grandfathers 10m6d which I would like to restore to working condition, its in poor shape w/seized engine. Anyway, I want to repower the 922020 on the cheap so I can spend a little more money and get a b&s or tec for the 10m6d.

Now the questions. I was looking at the HF predator 212 for the repower. My only concern is the lack of second output for the drive & reverse. How difficult is it to convert to a single output. I can't seem to find any detailed information on how to do it, IE different size belts or pully diameters. I am fairly handy but am by no means a mechanic. I am certain with some detailed instruction I could get this done, but I don't have a welder or anything like that to do serious mods. Any input would be appreciated. I know people have done it, I just need the info on how it was done. Thanks in advance!
There are a couple of problems you will likely have to overcome before you can, if possible, convert to a single-shaft motor.

For one, the 922 model appears to use a smaller frame that will probably not be able to accommodate a larger engine. Second, the PTO shaft runs counter-clockwise to the crankshaft, so changing pulley diameters and / or belt lengths will do nothing.
post #5 of 12 Old 02-13-2013, 06:28 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks for the replies. I decided to just go for it and bought the predator. $95 with coupons & sale, so why not give it a go. I took the tec off last night and when I got home this afternoon took the predator out, it fits perfect and the studs will be long enough that I won't have to knock them out. I am not looking to win any contests, just have a functioning blower until I can get the 10m6d fully restored. I can live with having backward gears, after looking at the ariens set up, it involves a bit more mechanics than the mtd and I can't figure a way right now to attack it, I can leave that up to the summer garage tinkering. I did a dry fit and the belts all line up and are good to go, the only thing that concerns my is the pto on the tec was 1/2 speed. Am i going to put this thing in gear and have it take off? I can't put a larger pully on the drive(no room, current one is 4.5") and the smallest that I can find to fit a 3/4 bore is 2" diameter. The auger handle is also in the way, i have seen others put u joints on and was thinking I would do the same. Where do you purchase a u joint for a something that size? I have been searching without much luck, i was assuming you cut the rod and slide the end into the u joint and tighten with a lock screw or something similar or did you guys weld them on?
post #6 of 12 Old 02-13-2013, 09:44 PM
Banned

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 1
Likes (Received): 3
Quote:
Thanks for the replies. I decided to just go for it and bought the predator. $95 with coupons & sale, so why not give it a go. I took the tec off last night and when I got home this afternoon took the predator out, it fits perfect and the studs will be long enough that I won't have to knock them out. I am not looking to win any contests, just have a functioning blower until I can get the 10m6d fully restored. I can live with having backward gears, after looking at the ariens set up, it involves a bit more mechanics than the mtd and I can't figure a way right now to attack it, I can leave that up to the summer garage tinkering. I did a dry fit and the belts all line up and are good to go, the only thing that concerns my is the pto on the tec was 1/2 speed. Am i going to put this thing in gear and have it take off? I can't put a larger pully on the drive(no room, current one is 4.5") and the smallest that I can find to fit a 3/4 bore is 2" diameter. The auger handle is also in the way, i have seen others put u joints on and was thinking I would do the same. Where do you purchase a u joint for a something that size? I have been searching without much luck, i was assuming you cut the rod and slide the end into the u joint and tighten with a lock screw or something similar or did you guys weld them on?
There are no "plans" or specific instructions when it comes to repowering a snowthrower. If you post some pics of what you have is possible people can help
post #7 of 12 Old 02-13-2013, 10:42 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 18
Thanks (Received): 38
Likes (Given): 53
Likes (Received): 100
On the ariens u joints they have holes in them. On my rebuild i used some rod that i had in my garage. Ran the new rod to u joint, cut the crank handle to length to my liking, drilled holes in the new rod and handle and connected rod/handle to u joints with cotter pins. Or you could just move your control handle down / over with a longer eye bolt and drill a new hole in handle bars.

Scott
69 ariens
toro 721r
toro 926 hd oxe
78 powerking 1614/48'' haban snowblower
post #8 of 12 Old 02-14-2013, 01:33 AM

Post Thanks / Like
I used a 2 inch steel Phoenix pulley and a 3 inch steel Phoenix pulley 3/4th inch bore for my drive pulley and auger pulley. Do not use fractional HP pulley's they could break since they are not made to handle 7 hp. I also flipped the lower auger pulley since it had an offset design and and that reduce the need to extend my PTO shaft since flipping the pulley brings it back nearly 3/4th of an inch. I then got a larger friction disk from a 2007 MTD 31 inch with LCT Honda clone. I have the part number in my older write ups. I bought it from Jack's small engines. Since the camshaft of the Tecumseh only turns at 1/2 the rate and in an opposite direction I got the larger pulley to slow it down. I also cut and flipped the linkage bracket and welded the linkage bracket to the rod and flipped the gearbox and moved the drive gear to the other side of the blower. As to the linkage Bain used a stack of washers to extend enough along with long bolt to replace the stock metal pin so the friction drive wheel would not make contact with the linkage. Right now it is just a tad faster than it was before but I was blowing wet 2 inch deep slushy snow tonight and it was clearing my 8 foot dwarf lilac hedge and going over my Crabapple tree which is over 10 feet tall. I really like the Predator 212cc since it is so easy to start and makes real good power and does not bog or stall like the Tecumseh did. It also has better fuel economy and a full gas tank last a long long time I blew out my drive 3 times my neighbors once compared to running out of gas on the Tecumseh before I could finish.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG060.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	101.5 KB
ID:	1123   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG073.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	94.3 KB
ID:	1124  

Last edited by GustoGuy; 02-14-2013 at 01:38 AM.
post #9 of 12 Old 02-16-2013, 01:33 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
OK, I got into the garage tonight and was able to get everything lined up and running. I am more than happy with the predator. I really thought I would be disappointed but am not in the least. I didn't have to make to many mods, and the backwardness isn't terrible, I can work with it until I figure out an alternative. It was much easier than fiddling with the tecumseh every time I had to start up and during operation. I really wanted to keep the tec running and keep the machine original but must admit I am much happier with this engine, for now. I have been taking pics of the process and will start a new thread with a walkthrough of the repower/rebuild. I am glad I grabbed the engine as I had some apprehension. I gave it a test run on some compacted, rain soaked drifts and it performed beautifully! I will also grab some quality video. Thanks for all the input!
post #10 of 12 Old 02-16-2013, 01:57 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
OK, I got into the garage tonight and was able to get everything lined up and running. I am more than happy with the predator. I really thought I would be disappointed but am not in the least. I didn't have to make to many mods, and the backwardness isn't terrible, I can work with it until I figure out an alternative. It was much easier than fiddling with the tecumseh every time I had to start up and during operation. I really wanted to keep the tec running and keep the machine original but must admit I am much happier with this engine, for now. I have been taking pics of the process and will start a new thread with a walkthrough of the repower/rebuild. I am glad I grabbed the engine as I had some apprehension. I gave it a test run on some compacted, rain soaked drifts and it performed beautifully! I will also grab some quality video. Thanks for all the input!
Exactly. I do not miss putzing with the Tecumseh just to get it started or running well anymore. It's 1 pull start let it run for about 30 seconds to warm up and go out and blow the driveway. It used to take me as much time just to get the Tecumseh to run right as it does now to actually blow my driveway. I do not miss the Tecumseh at all.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page