LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 Old 02-09-2014, 03:38 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 0
new member, w/ a ST504

Just joined this site after buying my first snowblower. I found a ST504 in norther NJ for $200. I have used it at least half a dozen times already and love it. I was wondering if there is a way to tell exactly how old it is. They guy I bought it from gave me the original owners manuals with it and I noticed it says 1989 Ariens on the bottom of the pages, so I am guessing it is from around then? Looking forward to restoring this machine somewhat this summer and hope to lean on this site for the info/guidance, thanks Bob
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 02-09-2014, 03:47 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 3
Thanks (Received): 27
Likes (Received): 42
Hi bkaser90
Welcome to the forum. You may be able to pin down the year with a serial number from your machine. Any way you cut it, it's an oldie. Good luck with your restoration. MH
post #3 of 5 Old 02-09-2014, 03:56 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Received): 0
the info off of the body of the blower is: Model # 932006 and serial # 055617.

I now realize this is one of the smaller machines, but I usually don't get much snow as I live real close to the ocean so I figured it would do. I'm thinking this winter is the exception. What do you think of the ST504? all the info I've seen is for st524 or st824 machines. From what I can tell, the 5 or 8 as the first number is the hp of the engine and the 24 indicates 24" wide, but then what does the 504 mean? just curious as this has been bugging me. lol
post #4 of 5 Old 02-09-2014, 04:43 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 5
Thanks (Received): 3
Likes (Given): 26
Likes (Received): 7
Here's a link to "page 8" of wonderful site that has great pics and info on your 932006.
The Ariens 1960's and 1970's Sno-Thro info site.
post #5 of 5 Old 02-10-2014, 03:15 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 7
Thanks (Received): 4
Likes (Given): 4
Likes (Received): 4
I have an ST504 as well, they are good machines, they are the 2nd generation compact. It has the disk o matic, with reverse. plusses are the electric start, small block Tecumseh 5hp, light weight, and manuverability. Drawbacks are the twin shaft drive reverse rotation (good luck finding an easy replacement engine if it ever blows), and the shifter, you have to bend over the bars to reach down to the frame mounted shifter. Bending to shift can get old real quick if you perform a lot of reversing. I have a roto tiller attachment for it (another plus), but it is small tined and pretty limited, I use it for turning the compost pile, but that operation requires a lot of powered reverse, so I speak from experience. As for blowing, it moves a lot of snow for it's small size. The carb started acting up on me 2 seasons ago, so I haven't used it or gotten too serious about a replacement carb. I recently had the itch for another compact so I found a used 2005 520...It wasn't much more than the carb replacement and labor so i went ahead and picked it up...it fills the exact same niche as the 504, but it uses a wet sump single speed gear box and NO reverse (which isn't a problem as once the clutch is let free it has far less wheel resistance than a disk driven machine, so you can pull it backward easily).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page