Buying an Ariens from a Non-Servicing Dealer? Read this - Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 85 Old 02-10-2014, 05:39 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 0
Buying an Ariens from a Non-Servicing Dealer? Read this

Hello Everyone,
A little back story: I bought a 2014 Deluxe 28 from Home Depot 2 months ago as it was $200 cheaper than my only local dealer (they ran out of stock so they were buying from other dealers and passing the higher price on) for the same blower (model 921030).

Fast forward to this past weekend where the engine would run for about 5 minutes then die; restart with full choke, run for 5 minutes die; rinse and repeat. I call Ariens to see if there was anything special to do to fix this under warranty: nope call your local dealer. OK, called the local dealer and they said just bring it in anytime we don't have appointments. I get there, explain what is happening and they ask if I bought it from them. I said no. The dealer then said there is a $30 "registration fee" that they must charge me because I did not buy it from them. I paid the fee after a few questions in disbelief just so that I could get my blower in and be worked on and thought I would straighten this out later.

Today, I contacted Ariens support about the fee. In a nutshell, they told me their dealers are independent and can do what they please as Ariens cannot tell them how to run their business.

I am furious but wanted to warn everyone who is considering buying an Ariens from a dealer that DOES NOT SERVICE them, to check and see if their local dealer has any charges of its own. You may never need to bring your snowblower there, but in the case that you do, its better to know ahead to time than being surprised.

Jay

P.S. if you have any ideas of how to get Ariens to understand that they have a little control over their Authorized dealers, I am all ears.

**Edited to not single out Home Depot

Last edited by jenebo; 02-10-2014 at 05:44 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 85 Old 02-10-2014, 07:12 PM
Retired Moderator

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 1
Thanks (Received): 197
Likes (Given): 6
Likes (Received): 251
That sucks.

Please direct all snow blower questions to the forums and not to me with PMs.
post #3 of 85 Old 02-10-2014, 07:44 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 5
Thanks (Received): 4
Likes (Given): 8
Likes (Received): 18
I agree, it sucks. However, you're free not to pay it either and take your business elsewhere.

Think of it this way, you're still up $170.00 and free to take it to another dealer the next time.
post #4 of 85 Old 02-10-2014, 07:49 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Likes (Given): 13
Likes (Received): 7
That's kind of makes sense now? Home Depot offered me the chance to fix under warranty all the snow blowers I can handle last week. Looked like they had at least three brand names on display. Dealers here must be doing the same.
post #5 of 85 Old 02-10-2014, 08:40 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 5
Thanks (Received): 17
Likes (Given): 5
Likes (Received): 62
If you purchase your Ariens from homedepot.com via telephone (NOT from a Home Depot store), it can be shipped to a dealer for assembly, delivery to you and they demo operation. No extra charge. BUT confirm with Ariens that you are in an area where their "White Glove Service" is available. Don't ask HD, they don't know.
post #6 of 85 Old 02-10-2014, 09:02 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 1
Likes (Received): 1
Well folks I can tell you first hand buying from the authorized dealer may not provide the best service. The $30 is cheep if the service a good, as in they know what they are doing and use experienced Ariens trained people. But, that is not always the case.

I always chuckle when a company professes they have no control over their vendors. If I had purchased my machine at Home Depot and my dealer told me I had to pay a fee to get warranty service I would throw the problem back in Ariens lap. I would tell them to honor the warranty and pay the fee since they have no control over the dealer. After all there is no disclaimer from Ariens that some dealers might impose a fee for warranty service if they bought the machine elsewhere. Furthermore if I could not get the service resolved through Ariens (It is their warranty) I would get on the horn to my credit card company and let them handle the whole thing.

Oh yeah, I'd have a big problem over something like that.

Last edited by docfletcher; 02-10-2014 at 09:12 PM.
post #7 of 85 Old 02-11-2014, 03:13 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 1
Likes (Received): 3
Just my own experience here...I purchased from Home Depot online, which resulted in the blower actually being delivered by my closest Arien's authorized dealer. First blower arrived with multiple issues, shredded belt, bent housing frame, and misaligned pulleys that had now way to be adjusted. My dealer offered to come and pick up the machine and perform any necessary repairs, completely free of charge considering it was still under manufacturer's warranty.

I can understand that Arien's can't tell an individual dealer "how to run their business", but I don't see how they can allow any authorized service center charge a fee to make a repair under warranty. Would they have waived this fee if you had registered the machine online with Ariens?

-----------------------------------------
2013 Ariens P24
post #8 of 85 Old 02-11-2014, 11:16 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
I did register my blower online with Ariens right after I bought it. Not sure what good that does when I had to re-register with a dealer

I am not ready to give up and is an act of principle more than the money. I was actually stunned that Ariens would allow dealers to charge fees as well and even more stunned of some of the responses I received from Ariens in my chat with them. I will keep you posted as to what happens
post #9 of 85 Old 02-12-2014, 10:53 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Originally Posted by jenebo View Post
I did register my blower online with Ariens right after I bought it. Not sure what good that does when I had to re-register with a dealer

I am not ready to give up and is an act of principle more than the money. I was actually stunned that Ariens would allow dealers to charge fees as well and even more stunned of some of the responses I received from Ariens in my chat with them. I will keep you posted as to what happens
IMO, the fact you registered it with Ariens online makes the dealers fee to register again totally bogus.
To those who say no big deal you got charged the fee because you didn't buy it there, here's a ? for you. If the new vehicle you just bought needs warranty work done & you brought it to a dealer you didn't buy from, would you be OK with the dealer charging you a fee because you didn't buy from him? I'm pretty sure you'd be singing a different tune then. So why is this any different? Warranty work should be done at any authorized Ariens dealer w/o being charged some bogus fee, irregardless of where it was purchased. That's what a warranty is for, be it a car, blower, whatever.
I'm with you....fight it on principle. You're in the right.

Last edited by Runner50; 02-12-2014 at 11:18 AM.
post #10 of 85 Old 02-12-2014, 11:09 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 3
Likes (Received): 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Runner50 View Post
IMO, the fact you registered it with Ariens online makes the dealers fee to register again totally bogus.
To those who say no big deal you got charged the fee because you didn't buy it there, here's a ? for you. If the new vehicle you just bought needs warranty work done & you brought it to a dealer you didn't buy from, would you be OK with the dealer charging you a fee because you didn't buy from him? I'm pretty sure you'd be singing a different then. So why is this any different? Warranty work should be done at any authorized Ariens dealer w/o being charged some bogus fee, irregardless of where it was purchased. That's what a warranty is for, be it a car, blower, whatever.
I'm with you....fight it on principle. You're in the right.

I agree...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page