LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 Old 02-16-2013, 10:41 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 0
Another repower question.

I everyone, new member here, great site.
I have a late 70's Ariens 7/24 machine. I was going to use a Predator 212.
Small Engine Warehouse (no affiliation here) has both NOS Tec 7hp snow kings and B&S Inteks for a reasonable price with free shipping.

My machine is in good enough condition to put a "real" engine on it, what would you do, go with the Tec. or the B&S.

My concern is the the Chinese engines don't have a long enough yet track record.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 02-16-2013, 11:44 PM
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 61
Thanks (Received): 351
Likes (Given): 150
Likes (Received): 785
IMO, the Tecumseh and the Briggs are basically equal in quality..
I would feel confidant with either!
(a slightly higher percentage of people would probably say Briggs slightly outranks Tecumseh in quality though..that seems to be a general opinion from what I have gathered over the years..)
but that is probably a "ford is better than chevy" type of thing..
more a matter of opinion, than a matter of fact.
IMO, they are both perfectly fine and good quality engines.
Both Tecumseh and Briggs enjoy a good reputation.

I would go with whichever seems to be a better "fit" and an easier installation.

Scot

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 17 Old 02-17-2013, 12:27 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 1
Likes (Received): 1
Welcome morseguy!

I own a Tecumseh and will defend mine to the hill but I would say they are more of a risk than a briggs due to rod throwing issues with Tecumseh. If you know a place that has some don't be afraid to ask their opinion as well. Ask them straight up...I here briggs and tecumseh are similar yet some Tecumseh's have rod throwing issues do you have any suggestions? Mention the size of your machine and see what they recommend...tell them you want to think about it and then hang up from them and let us know their suggestions and maybe we can weed it out. haha just a suggestion but worth a shot. Can't hurt.
post #4 of 17 Old 02-17-2013, 02:03 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 4
Thanks (Received): 139
Likes (Given): 14
Likes (Received): 327
Well on re-engining a machine, the easiest is to use the same make and general size motor along with the same number of shafts (1 or 2). If you find right size, you can always swap things like carbs, mufflers etc to ease the swapout.

The Tecumseh's that have the biggest issues (far as I can tell based on others experiences) are the 8-10 HP ones. Any engine regardless of make or size can have a failure but these seem to have a design issue 'if' they ever overrev. In fact I bought one with a hole in the side of the block from overreving just to get a few things like tank, carb etc.
post #5 of 17 Old 02-17-2013, 08:23 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 18
Thanks (Received): 38
Likes (Given): 53
Likes (Received): 100
Welcome to the site, I like the briggs because down the road tecumseh' s might be hard to get parts for.

Scott
69 ariens
toro 721r
toro 926 hd oxe
78 powerking 1614/48'' haban snowblower
post #6 of 17 Old 02-17-2013, 10:20 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
I have heard of the Tec. rod issue. Is it the connecting rod or the push rods that can go?
post #7 of 17 Old 02-17-2013, 10:24 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 213
Thanks (Received): 293
Likes (Given): 1654
Likes (Received): 584
its the con rod, " L " head motors don't have push rods

current machines
1-toro2450E-38419. 1-toro3000E-38435. 1-toro 3650E-38445
2-toro 521E-38052. 1-toro xl824pt 38086
1-.............,TORO XL 624ps..............
1-............, TORO XL 824ps..............
william
post #8 of 17 Old 02-17-2013, 10:57 AM
Banned

Post Thanks / Like
Likes (Received): 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by morseguy View Post
My concern is the the Chinese engines don't have a long enough yet track record.
Does it really matter when you can buy a 24 month warranty and return the engine no questions asked for a brand new one within 27 months? They hand you a brand new engine and you leave with the option to buy another 24 month warranty. The engine and warranty are about $115 a second warranty another $15. 54 months of security for $130. What warranty are you gonna get with the Chinese made Briggs or the piece of Tecumseh? 90 days? Then when you have a problem you take it somewhere and fight tooth and nail at a substandard repair shop that keeps it for a week... maybe two weeks.... Food for thought my friend....

Good luck with your choice and I hope what ever engine you purchase works out well for you.

Last edited by woodtick007; 02-17-2013 at 11:00 AM.
post #9 of 17 Old 02-17-2013, 04:53 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Likes (Received): 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by woodtick007 View Post
Does it really matter when you can buy a 24 month warranty and return the engine no questions asked for a brand new one within 27 months? They hand you a brand new engine and you leave with the option to buy another 24 month warranty. The engine and warranty are about $115 a second warranty another $15. 54 months of security for $130. What warranty are you gonna get with the Chinese made Briggs or the piece of Tecumseh? 90 days? Then when you have a problem you take it somewhere and fight tooth and nail at a substandard repair shop that keeps it for a week... maybe two weeks.... Food for thought my friend....

Good luck with your choice and I hope what ever engine you purchase works out well for you.

Woodtick did you have the warranty??? That sounds pretty good.
post #10 of 17 Old 02-17-2013, 05:37 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Well it looks like the old Tecumseh has gotten a pardon. I just finished trying to evaluate it. I removed it from the machine. Put it on the bench and began tearing into it. about 8 or 9 years ago I pulled the head off and removed the carbon build up. Upon removing the head today I discovered some carbon. What did catch my eye is that there is hardly any ridge at the top of the cylinder and I can faintly see the remains of some cross hatching on the cylinder wall. Isn't that a good sign. The valve faces and seats look good. I pulled out the breather and found no sludge. I pulled the flywheel and the original points are quiet worn. The carb was replaced about 20 years ago by me.

So now I'm thinking of rebuilding the carb, install new points & condenser, new plug and a general clean up.

Who's good for parts? How about Jacks Small Engines?

I'm a sucker for giving old equipment another chance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page