LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 28 Old 02-18-2013, 10:57 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 108
Thanks (Received): 164
Likes (Given): 347
Likes (Received): 650
Today's Ariens Quality?

I've been into Snowblowers and Repairs for the last few Years, Specializing, but not limited to Old School Ariens Machines. Last Week I did a friction wheel on a newer Ariens. I couldn't Believe this Had a PLASTIC GEAR to drive the Wheels! The Founder of Ariens would Spin in His Grave if He saw the Quality of this! Built-to-Fail vs Built-to-Last.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 Old 02-18-2013, 11:14 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 213
Thanks (Received): 293
Likes (Given): 1655
Likes (Received): 584
was it onef those sno-tek machines? what model

current machines
1-toro2450E-38419. 1-toro3000E-38435. 1-toro 3650E-38445
2-toro 521E-38052. 1-toro xl824pt 38086
1-.............,TORO XL 624ps..............
1-............, TORO XL 824ps..............
william
post #3 of 28 Old 02-18-2013, 11:28 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackmels View Post
I've been into Snowblowers and Repairs for the last few Years, Specializing, but not limited to Old School Ariens Machines. Last Week I did a friction wheel on a newer Ariens. I couldn't Believe this Had a PLASTIC GEAR to drive the Wheels! The Founder of Ariens would Spin in His Grave if He saw the Quality of this! Built-to-Fail vs Built-to-Last.
Hi Jack.
Can you tell us what model and year it was produced? I am looking at a newer ST-826 this week and I do not wanna buy something with a plastic drive gears. I am sure the owner will not allow me to remove the belly pan to check.
Thank You
MTD
post #4 of 28 Old 02-18-2013, 11:42 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 27
Likes (Given): 2
Likes (Received): 57
just serviced an ariens 939003 5 hp 20 inch. no friction disc at all, just a single speed gear drive, all gears were plastic. wasnt impressed by the machine at all. threw snow fine just not impressed.

However I dont know tons about ariens, this was there bottom of the barrel model. orange not a sno tek.
post #5 of 28 Old 02-18-2013, 11:45 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 108
Thanks (Received): 164
Likes (Given): 347
Likes (Received): 650
Model

Sorry Guys, I don't Remember the Model Number. It was a smaller unit, and had a small 3 bolt friction wheel. I have found the Newer Ariens Machines
Quality Is Far from what it used to be, and the Only Real Advantage of any Newer Ariens is the Taller Chute. A seller should have No Problem letting you Drop the Chassis Pan, unless there's something to hide. It's like opening the hood of a car.
I have worked on Many Machines, and have Encountered Countless Problems that Just Don't Exist with the Older Pre-ST Series Machines.
post #6 of 28 Old 02-18-2013, 12:01 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 213
Thanks (Received): 293
Likes (Given): 1655
Likes (Received): 584
i know what you mean about the new ariens vs the older ariens. i was at the toro dealer about a month ago and while those new ones may throw snow they look cheap compaired to the older units

current machines
1-toro2450E-38419. 1-toro3000E-38435. 1-toro 3650E-38445
2-toro 521E-38052. 1-toro xl824pt 38086
1-.............,TORO XL 624ps..............
1-............, TORO XL 824ps..............
william
post #7 of 28 Old 02-18-2013, 12:54 PM

Post Thanks / Like
thought you were talking new. If the owner wont let you take the pan off, walk away. unless the price dictates it doesnt matter what wrong. I would let him know before you go there so you dont waste his time or yours.

serviced a 932101 model 8/24 ---- no plastic gears

I picked up a craftsman yesterday with a bad worm gear. price was right, after I checked it out the drive was iffy. a little push to get it going. didnt bother taking the
cover off as it is in such nice shape.

got home and poked around and it needs just the brass gear in the auger and a friction wheel, everything else is perfect. 45 in parts and it will be up for sale.
post #8 of 28 Old 02-18-2013, 02:54 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Originally Posted by td5771 View Post
thought you were talking new. If the owner wont let you take the pan off, walk away. unless the price dictates it doesnt matter what wrong. I would let him know before you go there so you dont waste his time or yours.

serviced a 932101 model 8/24 ---- no plastic gears

I picked up a craftsman yesterday with a bad worm gear. price was right, after I checked it out the drive was iffy. a little push to get it going. didnt bother taking the
cover off as it is in such nice shape.

got home and poked around and it needs just the brass gear in the auger and a friction wheel, everything else is perfect. 45 in parts and it will be up for sale.
where did you get your worm gear? Are they all $50ish?
post #9 of 28 Old 02-18-2013, 03:12 PM

Post Thanks / Like
havent ordered it yet, this is mine, if you look up a murray built craftsman snowblower on sears parts direct, the part numbers come up as murray numbers, I just plug them into any online parts site. one is here;

Outdoor Distributors - Lawn Mower Parts

a bad auger case is usually the kiss of death for a blower, if you add up all the parts if it is blown apart it is very expensive. this one just has a worn out brass gear, everything else is fine.

whats your model number
post #10 of 28 Old 02-18-2013, 06:49 PM

Post Thanks / Like
When I started shopping for my first snow blower this past October, I figured on getting a used 1 or 2 year old Ariens model that was "like new" due to the mild winters we've had here in Philly since the last real snowy season was in 2010. I happened upon an eBay auction by this same guy with a similar auction description and right then and there decided on a 2005 or earlier.

"This one of the last Ariens snow blowers worth buying. It has a real 8.5 hp Tecumseh engine. The new machines have Chinese Built disposable engines. The Tecumseh Snow king engine is legendary for cold weather performance and reliability. This is the same basic engine design that your Dads 40 year old Ariens has that he probably still uses.
The blower itself has the heavy duty commercial ARIENS built drive case. It has the angular bottom pan for stair climbing in reverse.
New ones are stamped out form another supplier.

CONTRACTORS AND EQUIPMENT EXPERTS :
Note the gold colored bearing plates in picture number 2. If the Ariens machine you are thinking about buying doesnt look like this, It has plastic auger bearings that will last for 10 hours max in heavy snow . The metal design that this machine has is the same used by Ariens for 40 years. I have never had to replace the metal style no matter how old the machine.
For years i was proud to sell Ariens Snow equipment. After I saw what the company is now peddling as top quality equipment I have resolved to resell older models instead. I have no doubt that old man Ariens would weep if he saw what his name is being placed on currently.
The electric start motor does work intermittantly. But it is not depandable.Therefore i have reduced the price of the machine to sell cheaper. Most of the guys that buy These 24 inch heavy duty units are commercial guys that use em from a truck and dont use electric start anyhow. If you would like electric start, i can replace the motor for the cost of the motor only. The machine starts very easily with the cord anyway.
Before you overspend on last years junk at Home Depot, come see the difference in this machine, You dont have to be an engineer to see the quality contrast."

I've linked his auction above but copied his full text (typos and all) to save the text here after the auction expires.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page