post #1 of 18 Old 02-13-2014, 06:42 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 1
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 3
924036 - Auger issues

Hey all,

I got my engine woe's under control with the help of NT40lanman, and after smooth sailing for a few storms, I've got another issue.

At the end of the last storm I ran into a rubber mat that I park my snow blower on, with Auger running. It got jammed in there a bit and the motor died. I pulled everything out, and today it started up on the first pull.
The impeller is working great, but the auger is not turning.
At first I thought It's probably just a shear pin. but when I tried to pull them out, I noticed that the tops were turning when I tried to turn the nut on the bottom. To me that seems like the shear pins are not the problem?

When turning the auger manually, it looks like the shaft on the inside is turning. I don't hear any grinding or odd noises from the gearbox (which is aluminum)

Any ideas on what the issue might be? It's tough because I have no garage to work on this thing in, so anything I do is out in the cold.
I'm shoveling our latest storm, and I see at least 2 more on the horizon so I'm hoping I can get this figured out. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old 02-13-2014, 06:52 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 2
Can you take out the drain plug and look at the gears with a flashlight? I really don't know if this works , its just the first thing that popped into my head.
post #3 of 18 Old 02-13-2014, 06:53 PM
Retired Moderator

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 197
Likes (Given): 6
Likes (Received): 251
Most likely either the gears are stripped, or the pin holding the gear to the axle broke. Have you ever taken your shear pins off to grease the augers? If you don't grease them eventually they will rust to the shaft which makes the shear pins useless. If that happens the gears take all of the force if you hit something.

If turning one auger makes the other side turn as well then it sounds like your shear pins are fine. In your case if the head of the bolt is connected to the nut on the other side like you say then yea it sounds like you have worse issues unfortunately.

Please direct all snow blower questions to the forums and not to me with PMs.
post #4 of 18 Old 02-13-2014, 06:54 PM
Retired Moderator

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Originally Posted by scipper77 View Post
Can you take out the drain plug and look at the gears with a flashlight? I really don't know if this works , its just the first thing that popped into my head.
That should work. I have heard of people replacing a broken roll pin that way without taking anything apart.

post #5 of 18 Old 02-13-2014, 07:34 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks guys. I'm not sure if I'll take anything apart on my own. Lately I've been breaking everything I touch,so I might make things worse
post #6 of 18 Old 02-13-2014, 07:40 PM
Retired Moderator

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajpleblanc View Post
Thanks guys. I'm not sure if I'll take anything apart on my own. Lately I've been breaking everything I touch,so I might make things worse
These things are fairly simple, but if rust has gotten a hold of some of the parts they can be a real pain to get apart. Specifically the pulley behind the impeller and the augers on the auger shaft. The impeller can also be an issue, but most times that doesn't need to be removed.

post #7 of 18 Old 02-13-2014, 07:52 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Likes (Received): 0
Pull the bolt and at least see if it is the gear or roll pin. Purchased new you could be lookn at a pretty big number$$$ to replace the gear, $200+ for the whole gearbox.
post #8 of 18 Old 02-13-2014, 07:53 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Likes (Received): 0
This is taken from another site
"Before you tear it down and spend the money for the gears, check reference #49 on the IPL, it is a roll pin and if sheared augers will not turn. If you tip machine back on handles and open gear oil fill hole and you can see it. Could be a $1.00 fix. If it is roll pin you can replace through fill hole also without opening up gearbox. I have had several machines where this is the problem."

Read more: Ariens Snowblower - DoItYourself.com Community Forums
post #9 of 18 Old 02-14-2014, 06:30 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 4
Thanks (Received): 146
Likes (Given): 16
Likes (Received): 345
Roll pin

If it is the roll pin and if you can replace it without disassembling the gearbox, remember to get the pieces and parts of the old one out of the gearbox before using it. Sounds silly but I'm sure someone won't and jam it up.
post #10 of 18 Old 02-14-2014, 08:37 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks guys.

I tried an earlier "simple repair" to do a quick cleaning of my carb, and I ended up screwing that up.

One thing I noticed is that the shaft coming from the auger into the auger gearbox does NOT appear to be turning. If that's the case, does that point to any other potential cause? It was pretty dark, so the shaft may have actually been turning.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page