LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 Old 12-13-2010, 04:12 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 1
Ariens ST1336 LE on grass

This is a short video my wife took this morning. Her father lives next door and she goes over a lot to visit and check on him. I keep a path plowed across the yards to make it easy for her to get there. I plowed this path yesterday, but last night we had more snow and wind. I decided to try the snow blower this time. She is standing on my porch shooting the video towards her father’s house.

Last edited by abumpa; 12-13-2010 at 04:15 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 12-13-2010, 07:26 PM
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 553
Thanks (Received): 235
Likes (Given): 584
Likes (Received): 604
Looks like it's doing a fine job for you. Bet you can't wait for more snow!
post #3 of 13 Old 12-13-2010, 08:00 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Likes (Received): 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by abumpa View Post
This is a short video my wife took this morning. Her father lives next door and she goes over a lot to visit and check on him. I keep a path plowed across the yards to make it easy for her to get there. I plowed this path yesterday, but last night we had more snow and wind. I decided to try the snow blower this time. She is standing on my porch shooting the video towards her father’s house.

YouTube - Ariens ST1336LE Snowblower
nice video abumpa so now after you snowblowed the path whats better the plow or the blower?
post #4 of 13 Old 12-13-2010, 08:05 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Originally Posted by trdr View Post
nice video abumpa so now after you snowblowed the path whats better the plow or the blower?
Thanks for the video! I to would like to know which you like better,the plow or the snowblower. From past expieriance I assume the plow probably did't scrape as close to the ground as the snowblower,is that right?

Wayne

post #5 of 13 Old 12-13-2010, 09:48 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:

Well, I hate to say it but I like the plow better…most of the time. But I am not sorry at all that I got the snow blower. Guess I need to explain.

The reason I went looking for a snow blower is I had some trouble last year getting to my back garage through some big drifts with my little John Deere 165 tractor. I had to bust trail with a small MTD 2-cycle single stage snow blower that was NOT self-propelled. I will tell you that it was no fun. I decided then and there that next year I would have a 2 stage self-propelled to back up the little JD.

Well, last summer a super deal came up on the 1336 so I grabbed it. Just after that I came across another nice deal on a bigger more powerful tractor with plow so I grabbed that too.

The last couple of days have been the first time using both, and in my opinion both are great. They are both living up to my expectations but at darn near 60 years old I like sitting on the tractor.

To be honest I think the bigger tractor would have been OK last year on the big drifts. If I had had it last year I probably would not have looked for a snow blower.

All in all I am glad to have the blower and there is something nice about being able to toss the snow way out of the way. And who knows, maybe this year I will have drifts to big for the new tractor.
post #6 of 13 Old 12-13-2010, 09:50 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne195 View Post
From past expieriance I assume the plow probably did't scrape as close to the ground as the snowblower,is that right?

The plow has “feet” similar to the blower and I had both set for ¼ inch clearance. The plow will scrap a bit on uneven ground but rarely digs in much. If the ground isn’t frozen you can do a lot of damage if you get it caught. If the ground is frozen you don’t hurt it much at all. Either way everything grows in nice in the spring.

The blower should have been set higher for going across the grass. Perhaps at ½ inch or so. At ¼ it would occasionally catch and buck a bit. It didn’t do any damage to the grass but I learned to hold it up a little to stop the bucking.

Funny thing about cleaning snow off grass. In the spring the grass that was uncovered over the winter will be a different color than the grass that had full snow cover. This will last for few weeks then it all goes back to the same color.
post #7 of 13 Old 12-13-2010, 10:24 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Smile

nice collection of snow removal equipment abumpa.. now you need a snowmobile to wiz around on. hhmmm how can we put a blower on a snowmobile lol. Seriously though,hope you and the mrs.are wearing shoe spikes when crossing the yard specially when its icy..later,good luck with your stuff.
post #8 of 13 Old 12-13-2010, 10:59 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
now you need a snowmobile to wiz around on.
You must have me all figured out.

The photo is my snowmobile and a small tilt trailer I built. I go twice a year to Michigan’s upper peninsula around Munising with a bunch of crazy guys and I am not the oldest. Our leader is 68 and still going strong.

post #9 of 13 Old 12-14-2010, 07:04 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Smile

abumpa i sent u a message
post #10 of 13 Old 12-14-2010, 09:55 AM
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 553
Thanks (Received): 235
Likes (Given): 584
Likes (Received): 604
"I go twice a year to Michigan’s upper peninsula around Munising with a bunch of crazy guys and I am not the oldest."

You must have had a pasy or two from Muldoon's over on the east side of town! Lots of fantastic trails up there. Ever get over to Grand Marais? Great food, especially the white fish sandwich, if you can get one, over at the Lake Superior Brewing Company.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page