LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 Old 02-24-2014, 05:37 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 0
Question '74? 10k drive gear issue

I've searched the Ariens' forum for an answer, and I can't find one.

I got what appears to be a '74 10k series with a tecumseh repower from who knows when, and I got it running pretty well again. New coil, points, needle and seat, fuel lines, and she works pretty well. Except.

When I'm trying to move it, the gears kind of jump and jive, and it won't really drive. I pulled the inspection cover off of the bottom. The small gear attached to the sprocket, the one that drives the large gear on the axle, it's loose. I went and got two new bushings for it, brought it into the basement, and looked it over to see what I need to do. I can't really figure it out, at least in the less-than-adequate lighting I have down there. I don't see any way to get the chain off of the sprockets, but I did remove the bolt from the sprocket/gear. Seems as though I could just slide it out if I got the chain off?

If it's more difficult than that, please chime in and help me out. I got great help on a question the other day for my modern ********, and it worked great, so I'm hoping for more of the same.

Thanks in advance,
Tony
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Ariens friction disc and drive axle.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	75.8 KB
ID:	12714  

Last edited by madmedic22; 02-24-2014 at 05:46 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 02-25-2014, 10:28 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Likes (Received): 2
Sorry Tony I cant help you on your gear. I never had to repair anything other then belts and a disk tire wheel. My oldest Ariens was only 20 years young. That's like 5 years in "Ariens Years"

Its been a little quiet on the forum the last few days, so I thought I would just give your post a bump.

Ken

Last edited by ken53; 02-25-2014 at 10:40 AM.
post #3 of 17 Old 02-25-2014, 12:54 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 127
Thanks (Received): 195
Likes (Given): 469
Likes (Received): 816
Possibly the Aluminum Bearing Carrier is Broken. Check The ear on the lower left hand side of the carrier. It supports the Chain Drive Assembly. I'm pointing to the Area You should be concerned with. Look Very carefully, sometimes the crack/break is hard to see.

Last edited by Jackmels; 02-25-2014 at 05:24 PM.
post #4 of 17 Old 02-25-2014, 02:21 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Is there a master link on the chain?

The friction wheel looks good in the picture. Is it possible it is not engaging fully? Maybe as simple as a control rod adjustment.

From what you describe it probably is a case of a failed bushing or bearing. I really can't help diagnose something easily that I can't get my hands on.

I will say that '74 is pretty much the best year for the classic ariens design. That year had the engagement lever moved to the handle bars. You engage the handle to drive. And the gearbox is still the old heavy duty design. That machine is a real keeper.
post #5 of 17 Old 02-27-2014, 12:07 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 127
Thanks (Received): 195
Likes (Given): 469
Likes (Received): 816
post #6 of 17 Old 02-27-2014, 12:12 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Sorry for the late reply. I was pretty busy yesterday. Thanks for the bump, Ken!

It's not the bearing carrier, it's definitely the bushings for that gear. I can grab the gear and wobble it on its shaft. I have the bearings, but I have no idea how much has to come off of the machine to replace that. The carrier is in great shape, the friction wheel definitely contacts the pulley.

Anyone have experience with replacing this bushing? To repeat, I pulled the bolt that holds the sprocket/gear, but it won't come out with the axle and the other stuff in the way.

Tony

2013 Craftsman 26" in the shop as much as it's at home
1974? 10,000 series 910955, work in progress
post #7 of 17 Old 03-01-2014, 09:55 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 4
Likes (Given): 16
Likes (Received): 12
There's a master link on that chain if you want to take it off. You'll want to remove some of the other components to make it easier for you to take it off. Take a couple good pics before you tear into so you have a reference when you reassemble it all.

1972 Ariens 13/32 restored & repowered
1971 Ariens 7/24 (retired)
2011 Ariens Deluxe 24
1980 Ariens st7/24 (retired)
1985 Ariens st10/36
post #8 of 17 Old 03-01-2014, 10:54 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlowRider22 View Post
There's a master link on that chain if you want to take it off. You'll want to remove some of the other components to make it easier for you to take it off. Take a couple good pics before you tear into so you have a reference when you reassemble it all.
I have a '73 or '74 as well. I have plenty of pictures of things if you get stuck. Most are in my restore thread over at mytractorforum. Same user name there.
post #9 of 17 Old 03-01-2014, 10:56 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 4
Likes (Given): 13
Likes (Received): 7

Look for this hard to see chain master link. Then concentrate your effort on that bearing/shaft become clear. Unhook springs first making notes of where it's hooked. If it unhooks itself, then you'll lose it. Take your time and when you feel the step wasn't correct put the pieces back on. Note where all washers go especially. Your chain alignment will love you after it's back together. Photos don't show that info. so make notes, draw picture of washers positions. I know I sound terrible, but I've trained many technicians. Make a game of tearing down one series of pieces and put it back together loosely. Do it again going deeper. Within 4 hours you'll have that drive memorized forever.
post #10 of 17 Old 04-03-2014, 07:05 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Resurrection of an old thread. I left it alone for awhile, after buying the bushings. I'm at it tonight, since we're supposed to get 3-5" tonight and another 4-6" tomorrow. Too much to shovel.

I have the chain off, multiple bolts, pins, and keys out. It seems as though the pin holding the friction wheel assembly to the back of the tractor needs to come out. I pulled the cotter pin out of the shaft, but it wouldn't move. I hit the outboard side with my hammer a couple times, got it to go inward about 1/4". Then, using my pry bar, I got it pushed back to where it normally sits, but it wouldn't go any farther. It won't spin inside the tube, so I'm going to try to put vise grips on it and hit those. It seems to be the last thing holding me up. I haven't taken pictures yet, but I will during reassembly. I also had a spring break, the return spring for the friction disc control handle. Hopefully I can get that tomorrow morning at the Ariens dealer.

The shaft for the gear/sprocket inserts into the tractor case, and into a bracket inside, that bolts to the cast housing that I assume houses the shaft for the engine. This bracket is held in place by the long pin running through the right side of the tractor case and the lower part of the friction disc carrier.

It doesn't seem like this is a commonly replaced part, since not many people gave advice on how to change it, so I think a how-to is in order. I'll post that up, probably Saturday or Sunday, depending on how much time I have to spend clearing snow, and forbidding any other issues popping up between now and then.

Thanks to all of you for the posts, and if you see this and have any ideas other than mine for getting that rod out, feel free to chime in!
Tony

Tony

2013 Craftsman 26" in the shop as much as it's at home
1974? 10,000 series 910955, work in progress
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page