post #1 of 14 Old 02-25-2014, 04:50 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 2
Likes (Received): 5
921029 1st oil change, Not that bad.

Hi All
I put about 7hrs on her since I got her this year and decided it was time to change the oil for the 1st time. After looking at the drain I decided to chock up the blower and remove the wheel to make access easier. The oil was what I expected with some very fine metal shavings and no big pieces, while I was at it I removed the other wheel as well after noticing the shaft was dry with a little rust on the one I removed for the oil change to clean them up and re-grease the shafts.
BTW, I used Castrol GTX 5-W30, what oil do you all use?

-Keith-
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 02-25-2014, 05:47 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 1
Makes wonder why they put the drain plugs where they do.
This is on my 2014 28 Deluxe although I havnt got enough time for a first oil change yet I like it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC01855.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	165.4 KB
ID:	12754  

Last edited by MnJim; 02-25-2014 at 05:49 AM.
post #3 of 14 Old 02-25-2014, 06:45 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Definitely a much better drain location.

-Keith-
post #4 of 14 Old 02-25-2014, 07:49 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Likes (Received): 0
You will be fine with that oil some say there snowblower is less difficult to pull over in the extreme cold with synthetic and that may be true? Mine don't see temps less then 20F. As for engine wear between regular oil and synthetic?? If you are extending your oil change maybe but even if you have a big snowfall year most home use snowblowers don't see more then 10-15 hrs of use. My Toro has had cheep 5w30 oil change every year for 19 years and it runs great. Use what ever 5w30 you want and change it out in the spring and that motor will last for years.
post #5 of 14 Old 02-25-2014, 02:16 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 1
Thanks (Received): 1
Likes (Given): 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by InfernoST View Post
Hi All
I put about 7hrs on her since I got her this year and decided it was time to change the oil for the 1st time. After looking at the drain I decided to chock up the blower and remove the wheel to make access easier. The oil was what I expected with some very fine metal shavings and no big pieces, while I was at it I removed the other wheel as well after noticing the shaft was dry with a little rust on the one I removed for the oil change to clean them up and re-grease the shafts.
BTW, I used Castrol GTX 5-W30, what oil do you all use?

Do you have the wheel "clips"? If so how did you remove them?
Thanks
post #6 of 14 Old 02-25-2014, 03:14 PM
mkd

Post Thanks / Like
average joe! if you have clearance on the tire and rim you could go get a 90 degree fitting, a piece of pipe , and a pipe plug. you can then run the drain down and rearward clearing the bars and auger engagement lever. that will put your drain in an easier position to drain instead of behind the tire. if you want to get creative run the pipe level to the engine base and add another 45 degree fitting and the pipe can be plumbed between the right handlebar and the lower right rear corner of the engine. the deluxe i just bought as well as the 28 yr old 924 i just sold both drained to the rear. so much easier

Last edited by mkd; 02-25-2014 at 03:20 PM.
post #7 of 14 Old 02-25-2014, 06:12 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Originally Posted by AverageJoe View Post
Do you have the wheel "clips"? If so how did you remove them?
Thanks
All you have to do is pull on the lip of the clip towards you gently then lift it up or down depending on the orientation of the clip, it should slide right off.

-Keith-

Last edited by InfernoST; 02-25-2014 at 06:15 PM.
post #8 of 14 Old 02-26-2014, 10:01 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 21
Likes (Received): 54
Quote:
Hi All
I put about 7hrs on her since I got her this year and decided it was time to change the oil for the 1st time. After looking at the drain I decided to chock up the blower and remove the wheel to make access easier.
Would this make it easier to change the oil? I have one one my Simplicity tractor and makes changing oil a breeze. Just put the clear tube into an empty quart oil container, flip open the valve and let it drain. Close it and refill with oil (on my tractor it takes two empty quart bottles and a new oil filter).
If the plastic tube isn't long enough, just pop down to your local Ace and get a length of 1/2" clear tubing. You'll be able to change your oil in two minutes. (OK, maybe three.)

post #9 of 14 Old 02-26-2014, 10:32 AM
mkd

Post Thanks / Like
enigma! i have that very same briggs and stratton on my cub cadet riding tractor only it doersn't work worth a darn. it is located just inside the left frame of the tractor and you can't keep a tube on it because it has to make such a sharp bend to clear the frame. not only that but you have to have the tube on the valve while you try to give the end a 1/4 twist and pull out to open. might be all right out in the open but in tight quarters it's a pain in the butt!
post #10 of 14 Old 02-27-2014, 08:34 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 1
Thanks (Received): 1
Likes (Given): 1
Quote:
All you have to do is pull on the lip of the clip towards you gently then lift it up or down depending on the orientation of the clip, it should slide right off.
Got it...Thanks Keith!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page