LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 Old 03-12-2013, 09:18 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 0
ATC Traction Control Question

From reading this forum I have learned that the Ariens Platinum and higher series use the Hilliard Auto-lok. From the Hilliard website I take the following:

The Hilliard Auto-Lok automatically switches from positive traction to an open differential and back without any levers or cables. On a side hill, the Auto-Lok transfers power to the wheel with the most traction, eliminating the need for the rider to shift their weight. The improved traction reduces tire spin, and in return, reduces turf damage...

Note what I have in bold italics. Doesn't this mean that if a wheel spins on my Platinum then the differential takes the power from that wheel and transfers it to the wheel with traction? If that's the case then that's going to turn my snowblower quickly, and I will continuously be fighting to keep it on a straight path. If I have a wheel slip I want the power to REMAIN on that wheel. I struggle to keep my blower on a straight path, and am beginning to believe this is the reason why. Any comments?

GC
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 03-19-2013, 01:46 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Bump.
post #3 of 6 Old 03-19-2013, 04:42 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 1
Thanks (Received): 196
Likes (Given): 6
Likes (Received): 250
Sorry, I can't help as I have never used one of the newer blowers. On the old ones if one wheel slipped it got all of the power and you had to push it manually.
post #4 of 6 Old 03-22-2013, 08:52 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
One last bump!!
post #5 of 6 Old 03-22-2013, 09:24 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 4
Thanks (Received): 139
Likes (Given): 14
Likes (Received): 327
Sorry, don't know that machine but your assumption seems logical based on what you're saying. Hopefully someone knowledgable will chime in.
post #6 of 6 Old 03-26-2013, 08:37 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Hmmmm....just found out something new. Talking to neighbor 3 doors down this morning. I knew he had an Ariens but I thought it was Deluxe 28. Turns out it is the Platinum 30, same as mine. He does not have this issue. I have often seen his wife (a very small lady) use the snowblower with not too much effort. I guarantee you she wouldn't be able to hang on to mine! So what could be going on here? It's all mechanical, so I don't understand how it could not be working. I had to clear my driveway last night from 5 inches of wet snow, and I'm stiff and sore today!! That neighbor didn't have an issue!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page