LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 Old 03-14-2014, 07:50 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 2
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 6
Hand Warmers

If you purchase a Deluxe, how hard would it be to install hand warmers? Cost? Would there be an issue with the alternator having enough juice? Will Ariens facotry install it? Any info would be appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 03-14-2014, 08:37 AM
mkd

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Received): 1
my understanding is that the alternator does a better job of one or the other and when you have the light and warmers running it draws just about what the alternator can supply. i beleave 60 watts is the altenator output at governed rpm and lights and handwarmers is 50 watts draw. some people put a switch in the light circuit so the light doesn't run during the day when they run the hand warmers.

Last edited by mkd; 03-14-2014 at 08:40 AM.
post #3 of 7 Old 03-14-2014, 09:14 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 2
Likes (Received): 6
Interesting that Ariens would release a snow blower with two options it could not run
simultaneously.

If that is true, then my theory that they would install a bigger alternator to run both goes out the window. So, back to the first question, how hard are they to install yourself?
post #4 of 7 Old 03-14-2014, 11:02 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 2
Thanks (Received): 98
Likes (Given): 42
Likes (Received): 260
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnowGuy69 View Post
Interesting that Ariens would release a snow blower with two options it could not run
simultaneously.

If that is true, then my theory that they would install a bigger alternator to run both goes out the window. So, back to the first question, how hard are they to install yourself?
Very easy to install if you know how to solder, and have a limited knowledge of electrical circuits. Also - very inexpensive ~$5 if you have a few weeks that you can spend waiting for them to arrive from China, otherwise expensive if you buy them from your dealer $50 or more.

Look at my Thread "Need Heated Hand Grips" for more info on how I, and others, have done it on the cheapo.

Good luck !

Personally, I do not think that they are worth $50+ after using them - but they certainly ARE worth $5 ! IMHO
post #5 of 7 Old 03-14-2014, 12:39 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 21
Likes (Given): 2
Likes (Received): 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnowGuy69 View Post
Interesting that Ariens would release a snow blower with two options it could not run simultaneously.

The engine supplies 60 watts AC. (I believe it also supplies 36 watts, full-wave DC, on the red battery charge line - normally not continued past the engine connector).
Anyway, the handwarmers draw 30 watts & the halogen light draws 20 watts, so both can operate simultaneously with 10 watts to spare.

Here's a YouTube video of a guy installing handwarmers on an Ariens. He used ATV handwarmers for $40 off of Ebay (instead of the $80 that Ariens charges).

2014 Ariens 24" Platinum
2010 Yard Machines 600 Series, 24" w/179cc MTD engine
Toro CCR 3650 GTS
Troy Bilt 521OR w/Tecu HSSK50 engine
post #6 of 7 Old 03-15-2014, 01:53 PM
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 589
Thanks (Received): 770
Likes (Given): 4358
Likes (Received): 1741
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by RIT333 View Post
Personally, I do not think that they are worth $50+ after using them - but they certainly ARE worth $5 ! IMHO
It's a matter of you get what you pay for. I'm sure those 65/85 dollar kits the dealer sells which are imbedded in new grips and draw an extra 50% power to run on likely do heat better. They also have the wiring and connectors to be plug and play.

I'm waiting on my slow boat from China literally !!! Won't be able to try them in the cold when they finally arrive I think I'm close to 30 days now.

Make sure the windows are up before the snow plow goes by !!

Please help keep the lights on by subscribing:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Kiss4aFrog; 03-18-2014 at 02:15 PM.
post #7 of 7 Old 03-18-2014, 02:40 PM
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 589
Thanks (Received): 770
Likes (Given): 4358
Likes (Received): 1741
Garage
That wait is a real pain. I ordered mine from ebay "Lioncitysg" on Feb 17th and I'm still waiting for them to arrive. Sent them an Email asking when to expect the heaters and was told could take up to 35 days

Make sure the windows are up before the snow plow goes by !!

Please help keep the lights on by subscribing:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page