New to me Sno-Thro 7HP 32" bucket not running properly Question and photos - Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 47 Old 03-17-2014, 10:19 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 7
New to me Sno-Thro 7HP 32" bucket not running properly Question and photos

My neighbors were so impressed with my '66 6hp 24" vintage Ariens that one asked me to grab one for her.

I found what I thought was a pretty good one, 1970-71 7HP with 32" bucket. It was missing the choke handle and a screw here and there but started quickly and ran forward and back, and the auger and impeller ran. The price was decent so I grabbed it.

The problem is that when we went to use it this morning it would start and run fine for about 3-5 minutes and would throw snow but then would die and would be very hard to pull start. It would back fire and nearly jerk the cord out of your hand. We ended up using my 24" machine to clear the neighborhood. When I got the machine home it ran fine for 5-10 minutes with my neighbor learning to operate it. One added piece of information. When he was parking the machine he drove it to the parking spot then moved the transmission into reverse without the clutch all the way in and jammed the clutch. I had to turn the machine upside down to unjam the clutch and and it was hard to start after being upside down.... Also to unjam the clutch, I worked at relieving the pressure while my neighbor operated the clutch handle until it moved freely...

Any thoughts on trouble shooting the machine?

I am attaching photos.

Last edited by junkyard_sal; 03-17-2014 at 10:30 AM.
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 1 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes Kiss4aFrog liked this post
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 47 Old 03-17-2014, 10:32 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Likes (Received): 2
Check compression. Check for spark after it is warm and hard to start. Could be carbon build up on valves. These are common issues. Also the carbs are finnicky on these.

Worst case would be a repower (this would actually be the best case for many around here, myself included).

You have a coveted 32" auger so I would definitely take the time to sort it out. The 6 hp flathead might not be enough to run a 32" bucket well. A 6.5 hp predator ironically would do it just fine.

Most people are going to do whatever they want. What I find entertaining is how people justify what they do.
post #3 of 47 Old 03-17-2014, 10:39 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thank you for the reply. I just read the thread on the draining oil prior to inverting the machine. We did not drain the oil or shut off the valve to the carb.

It has spark. If you let it sit a bit it will fire first pull without the choke but it will not stay running and will be hard to start after it dies. It will start with the electric start but with the same symptoms.

The motor is a 7HP

Motor
model no H70-130067
Serial no 0324 06121
post #4 of 47 Old 03-17-2014, 11:49 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 2
Thanks (Received): 9
Likes (Given): 3
Likes (Received): 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by junkyard_sal View Post
If you let it sit a bit it will fire first pull without the choke but it will not stay running and will be hard to start after it dies. It will start with the electric start but with the same symptoms.
Sal, how long does it stay running? 3-5 minutes as stated in the first post, or only for a few seconds?

-Ken

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2011 John Deere 1330se

post #5 of 47 Old 03-17-2014, 12:53 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Likes (Received): 2
Sounds like a fuel restriction. It's a possibility that your carb is not filling fast enough to keep up with demand.

Most people are going to do whatever they want. What I find entertaining is how people justify what they do.
post #6 of 47 Old 03-17-2014, 12:54 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 174
Thanks (Received): 342
Likes (Given): 480
Likes (Received): 849
It's not consistent with backfiring and jerking the cord from your hand, admittedly. But if the gas cap's vent is plugged, you could get a machine that would start OK, then die after a while, once the gas tank draws a vacuum by being unable to vent.

Loosen the gas cap and see if anything changes. If it will keep running, clean/replace the gas cap.

It's probably not this, admittedly. But it's easy to check, so why not?

Ariens 1024 Pro
Toro Power Clear 221QR
Toro Power Curve 1800
post #7 of 47 Old 03-17-2014, 02:12 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestminsterFJR View Post
Sal, how long does it stay running? 3-5 minutes as stated in the first post, or only for a few seconds?
It runs 3-5 minutes. Usually the first pull after it dies is very hard, jerking your arm with recoil or piston pressure. It seems if it sits then it restarts naturally and pull starts easily.

It does not choke down and die, it just dies. Then does not want to start right away but will start on one pull after a minute or two.

So there are two issues, the machine dies and exhibits a hard pull on restart occasionally. I believe that it is hydrolocked and when I get home from my business trip I will pull the spark plug and pull the cord to evacuate any oil/fuel from the head. But even this theory does not fully hold water since it will restart.

Last edited by junkyard_sal; 03-17-2014 at 03:03 PM.
post #8 of 47 Old 03-17-2014, 06:20 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Originally Posted by junkyard_sal View Post
It runs 3-5 minutes. Usually the first pull after it dies is very hard, jerking your arm with recoil or piston pressure. It seems if it sits then it restarts naturally and pull starts easily.

It does not choke down and die, it just dies. Then does not want to start right away but will start on one pull after a minute or two.

So there are two issues, the machine dies and exhibits a hard pull on restart occasionally. I believe that it is hydrolocked and when I get home from my business trip I will pull the spark plug and pull the cord to evacuate any oil/fuel from the head. But even this theory does not fully hold water since it will restart.
The 3-5 minutes behavior sounds like the exhaust valve lash is too small. As the motor warms up, the exhaust valve does not close completely and looses compression. Once it cools down, the clearance returns which allows the valve to close completely again. I just grind the exhaust valves on 3 out of 5 H60/H55's this weekend. All the intakes were fine. So based on my small data point of 5 motors, it seems like it's pretty common for the exhaust valve to go out of spec on these Tecs. The required lash for the exhaust is 0.012".

As for the hard pull (rope pulling out of my hand), that occurred on one of my engines when the float was not seating and was flooding the engine. It hasn't done it since the float issue was corrected. Do you see fuel leaking out of the carb when attempting to start?

-Ken

2011 John Deere 1330se

post #9 of 47 Old 03-17-2014, 06:27 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
How much does the head work cost?

I am suspecting that when the machine was inverted that something went wrong with the carb and it is flooding the machine creating a kind of hydrolock on the hard pull. Could that also be killing the machine? It does not smell rich when running but I am away on a business trip now and can not investigate until Friday. I appreciate the brainstorming. We were all impressed with the machine when it was running. The added 8" is significant in the swatch cut and it threw snow as well as my 24" machine.
post #10 of 47 Old 03-17-2014, 06:44 PM

Post Thanks / Like
when you say 'inverted', did you tip the machine forward onto the bucket? or actually upside down with the wheels facing up?

-Ken

2011 John Deere 1330se

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page