My first Ariens, my first question about two different model #s - Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 Old 03-24-2014, 05:54 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 590
Thanks (Received): 770
Likes (Given): 4367
Likes (Received): 1742
Garage
My first Ariens, my first question about two different model #s

Ok, just picked up a new project. Any time I can grab a 32" blower for 25 bucks I'm all in
Got it home and looked at the sticker on the impeller housing and it reads 10955, tells me it's a 1970 32" tractor model. When looking it up it does seem to be a tractor mounted blower.
Went back out and found a second sticker on the body of the transmission says 10954, 1969 7 hp 32".

Is it common for the older Ariens blowers to have two and different model numbers on them or is this a housing from a tractor swapped onto the transmission body ?? Somebody school me

I likely won't have a chance to try it out this year as the snow is fading fast but is the 7hp really enough to run this thing or is a bigger engine appropriate ??

Make sure the windows are up before the snow plow goes by !!

Please help keep the lights on by subscribing:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Kiss4aFrog; 12-01-2014 at 10:36 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 03-24-2014, 06:38 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 12
Likes (Given): 1
Likes (Received): 11
Yes it is common for the two halves of the machine to have different model numbers, your blower could have been sold as two separate pieces but the bucket is for walk behind units only. Nice machine and a steal for that price!!
post #3 of 16 Old 03-24-2014, 07:14 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like
Garage
Thanks for the info.

It's pretty neglected and I see why it was $25. It's worth way more just in parts but it's too nice to tear apart for parts. Chunks of the belt fell out when I pulled the bottom cover. The spring loaded left wheel disengage knob is rusted in. It was locked in gear ... had to drag it up from the back yard to get it to my truck. It would crank over but not fire. Was a real treat trying to drag it up the loading ramps !!!
The shifter and the engage handle hit someplace and you have to play with them like typewriter keys getting jammed. This is why the guy wanted it GONE. I'm just looking at the big picture and starting to track parts I know I'll need.
Needs some bushings but the wheels and augers are free !!! I'm surprised. Oil is like tar so that and the auger gear box will get some fresh stuff.

The lever on the left for the friction wheel . . . I found out why I had to drag it.
Handle released the friction wheel is on the drive plate, handle pulled part way up and it disengages and it will roll freely, all the way and it's back on the drive plate. When I was picking it up I never thought to try the handle half way.
This is wrong isn't it ??

AND . . . anyone know what to use for a new friction wheel ?? I came up with PN 3003 and I can't find one yet.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #4 of 16 Old 03-24-2014, 07:41 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like
Garage
Ok crossed over the friction disc Ariens 3003 is replaced by Murray 35550, Snapper 1-0765, Jacobsen 158458 and Gilson 32222 or primeline from Oreilly 7-04211 for 11 bucks !!

post #5 of 16 Old 03-24-2014, 08:01 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 3
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 0
Your garage is a mess!!
post #6 of 16 Old 03-24-2014, 08:10 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 2
Thanks (Received): 98
Likes (Given): 42
Likes (Received): 260
Are my eyes playing tricks on me...again, or does that have a 5' or so drift-cutter bar !
post #7 of 16 Old 03-24-2014, 08:16 PM
Banned

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 32
Thanks (Received): 92
Likes (Given): 446
Likes (Received): 148
thes snomblowers were actually sold as two peices. for example, you have the traction unit, which would have been sold without the snowblower. this is called a tractor unit, if you seperate the buckets from the tractor, you will see a clutch driven often a single belt that powers the transmission and attachment. the snowblower could them be replaced with different attachments such as a brush mower, pavement brush, and a bunch of other stuff i cant remember, that why the years are different, you arnt going insane!
post #8 of 16 Old 03-24-2014, 08:23 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by RIT333 View Post
Are my eyes playing tricks on me...again, or does that have a 5' or so drift-cutter bar !
Those are pictures from the ad. Yes that is a breaker bar and yes it's really tall and yes it's sticking straight up and only one on the right. I had to break the bolts off to remove it so it would fit under my topper.

post #9 of 16 Old 03-24-2014, 08:27 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like
Garage
And now I know that the handle for the friction wheel is bent or way out of adjustment. That and it's backwards from all the other machines. You pull the handle to stop motion and to shift and let go to operate.
If you fall it just keeps going. Think I might have to find a way to reverse that.

post #10 of 16 Old 03-24-2014, 08:33 PM
Banned

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 32
Thanks (Received): 92
Likes (Given): 446
Likes (Received): 148
actually, i probably shouldnt have told you that because now you will probably go looking for the mower, sorry
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page