LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 Old 03-19-2013, 02:39 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 0
New Deluxe 24 No Guts

I was very excited when I recently purchased this new machine. Couldn't wait to use it. My first machine was given to me when I was like 14 years old from this nice old man that I used to remove snow for. In 1985 the thing was 20 something years old. worked great.

Anyway, this brand new Deluxe 24 has been a disapointment. For the recent Blizzard (Nemo) it worked great. I got some 20-30" light puffy snow. This thing worked great! It would "bog" a little on the virgin pass, but that was about it. Far better than the MTD that it replaced. My MTD would plow more than it would throw on that first pass. If you've owned one you know what I mean.

Well, to my point, we recently had a storm that produced a whole differrent kind of snow. We're talking about that heart attack snow. I was lucky enough to only get about 6-8" of the stuff. Or so I thought. I couldn't make that first pass, in first gear, without stopping every 6 feet. The engine would barely stay running. it wasn't running rough. It was just slowing down to the point of wanting to stall. I couldn't believe it. I brought it back to the dealer to have them checkout the governor. That was a waste of time. All they could really do was throw a Tach on it and check the unloaded high engine RPM.

Anyone else complaing about these 250CC Briggs having no balls?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 03-19-2013, 09:08 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 4
Thanks (Received): 139
Likes (Given): 14
Likes (Received): 327
Blowing

I don't know that blower but I do have a thought or 2. Everyones description of snow differs so please define 'heart attack snow'.

If you mean 'wet and heavy' snow, many blowers don't handle that well. The concensus seems to lean towards an impeller kit to close up the gaps between the impeller and the impeller housing. 2 Years ago we got dumped on and there was alot of the slushy snow to deal with from the snowblows. My 4 HP pushed it like spagetti out the chute, about like limp noodles. The 7 HP I had at the time threw it about 3'. On both machines if you stopped, the chute plugged up. Neither had an impeller kit on them. I should add, nobodys blower in the neighborhood handled that stuff well at the time.

I guess what I'd say is how did other machines handle it? If they could move it ok and yours can't then I'd suspect something in the machine is not right. If none of them handled it then it's probably working as designed for the average snowfalls. You might have to do some tweaking if it's the slushy stuff.

My thoughts. Let us know.
post #3 of 5 Old 03-22-2013, 01:32 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
If the impeller kit is what I think it is, I've seen a few videos of the homemade version. Basically placing "mud flaps" on the ends of the impeller blades so that the rubber just touches the sides of the drum. The before and after demonstrations were unbelievable. Something that I definately want to do. Just don't know how an obvious mod like that would void my warranty.

I have this posted in the reviews section also. this was my update from today.

Thanx for the replies everybody. We had some nice wet snow this morning. I got about 5 inches or so. I used the machine as is for most of the job. It ran ok but there was just a little something lacking. Well, unlike the machines of old, it was a bit of a project to get to the governor springs. I moved the spring two holes away from the pivot shaft. What a difference! The engine unloaded high speed didn't change much at all. But under load, much better performance. I had no surging at any speed (not that I did before) You could tell that there was a load. The engine did slow down some. But came nowhere near stalling and the snow was fly'n. I'm happy again. And to **** with going against my better judgement and trusting things like this to the dealer.
post #4 of 5 Old 03-23-2013, 09:03 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 4
Thanks (Received): 139
Likes (Given): 14
Likes (Received): 327
Governor adjustment

If you got any pictures, please post them. I'm sure they would be useful to others with that blower.

Glad you got it fixed.
post #5 of 5 Old 09-03-2013, 04:52 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
I know it has been a while. Pictures would have been nice. I'm usually the first one to say "we need pics" but I'd have to take it apart again. You can't even see the governer unless you remove the fuel tank and other plastic skins. Sorry.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page