post #1 of 14 Old 03-25-2014, 09:10 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 0
Platinum 30 Hand Warmers

Hi all,
I am on the second year with my 2013 Platinum 30. It's only recently that I realized that my hand warmers are not working properly. I used my neighbors Deluxe 28, and his warmers are a LOT warmer than mine. So to confirm, I tried my other neighbor's Platinum 30, and my other neighbor's Amiens ?? (Deluxe 28 I think). Those 3 machines have hand warmers that get almost hot. Mine are barely warm. It's the first snowblower I've had with hand warmers so I just assumed they were fine. They are somewhat warm, so there is a connection. If they were not warm at all I would have realized there was something wrong. Any ideas why mine might not be working properly? Thank you.

GC
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 03-25-2014, 09:35 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 2
Thanks (Received): 98
Likes (Given): 42
Likes (Received): 260
I would check all of the connections to make sure that they are tight, and rust free. Are both sides the same temperature ? It could also be a problem with diodes in your alternator. Is it too late to go back to the dealer, and let them fix/diagnose it ?
post #3 of 14 Old 03-25-2014, 09:40 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Likes (Received): 0
Yes, both sides are same temp. Just barely warm. It's a year old, so I probably could take it back to the dealer, but that would be a PITA. I will check the connections as you suggest, and if that isn't the issue I will take it back to the dealer after the snow is gone (if still under warranty) and see what they have to say. Thanks.
post #4 of 14 Old 03-25-2014, 11:37 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Likes (Received): 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreatCanadian View Post
Hi all,
I am on the second year with my 2013 Platinum 30. It's only recently that I realized that my hand warmers are not working properly. I used my neighbors Deluxe 28, and his warmers are a LOT warmer than mine. So to confirm, I tried my other neighbor's Platinum 30, and my other neighbor's Amiens ?? (Deluxe 28 I think). Those 3 machines have hand warmers that get almost hot. Mine are barely warm. It's the first snowblower I've had with hand warmers so I just assumed they were fine. They are somewhat warm, so there is a connection. If they were not warm at all I would have realized there was something wrong. Any ideas why mine might not be working properly? Thank you.

GC
Check to make sure you have the correct headlight bulb. The bulb on that model is 20W. It is a special order bulb. If it were replaced with a higher wattage off-the-shelf bulb from a hardware store than you'll lose some juice to the grips. Also, check your operating RPM. This is unregulated power. If you're running on the low side RPM-wise your alternator will runny skinny on voltage. The engine is spec'd for 3600 +/- 100 RPM. Shoot for 3700 if you want a healthier dose of voltage. Which engine do you have? Check all the connections for sure.
post #5 of 14 Old 03-26-2014, 10:43 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 21
Likes (Given): 2
Likes (Received): 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by RIT333 View Post
I would check all of the connections to make sure that they are tight, and rust free. Are both sides the same temperature ? It could also be a problem with diodes in your alternator. Is it too late to go back to the dealer, and let them fix/diagnose it ?
It's an AC alternator, no diodes.

2014 Ariens 24" Platinum
2010 Yard Machines 600 Series, 24" w/179cc MTD engine
Toro CCR 3650 GTS
Troy Bilt 521OR w/Tecu HSSK50 engine
post #6 of 14 Old 03-26-2014, 10:49 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreatCanadian View Post
Hi all,
GC
I have a brand new Platinum 24 with the same problem. I suspect Ariens put on the 20 watt grips instead of 30 watt grips.

2014 Ariens 24" Platinum
Toro CCR 3650 GTS
post #7 of 14 Old 03-26-2014, 05:37 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 2
Thanks (Received): 98
Likes (Given): 42
Likes (Received): 260
Quote:
Originally Posted by enigma-2 View Post
I have a brand new Platinum 24 with the same problem. I suspect Ariens put on the 20 watt grips instead of 30 watt grips.
Easy to check. Ohm's Law is Watts=Voltage * Voltage / Resistance

Assuming that you have 12 volts, then the resistance for the 30 watt grips should be about 5 ohms, and the the 20 watt grips would be about 7 ohms.
post #8 of 14 Old 03-26-2014, 08:25 PM
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 590
Thanks (Received): 770
Likes (Given): 4367
Likes (Received): 1742
Garage
Measure the voltage before the heaters to ground (heaters ON) and see if you do have 12+ volts with the engine near full throttle. That checks that the stator has the capacity to run them.
Then check after the heaters to ground. That will check the voltage drop of the ground connection. If I remember it should be .1 or .2 volts on the ground side. If you have a bad connection it will be robbing you of some of the current necessary for the grips to heat up and that would show up as a higher voltage reading.

Make sure the windows are up before the snow plow goes by !!

Please help keep the lights on by subscribing:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #9 of 14 Old 03-27-2014, 10:01 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Originally Posted by RIT333 View Post
Easy to check. Ohm's Law is Watts=Voltage * Voltage / Resistance

Assuming that you have 12 volts, then the resistance for the 30 watt grips should be about 5 ohms, and the the 20 watt grips would be about 7 ohms.
Thanks, will need to wait until I can get back & measure it.
Thanks again, hadn't throught of doing this.

2014 Ariens 24" Platinum
Toro CCR 3650 GTS
post #10 of 14 Old 03-27-2014, 10:03 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiss4aFrog View Post
Measure the voltage before the heaters to ground (heaters ON) and see if you do have 12+ volts with the engine near full throttle. That checks that the stator has the capacity to run them.
Then check after the heaters to ground. That will check the voltage drop of the ground connection. If I remember it should be .1 or .2 volts on the ground side. If you have a bad connection it will be robbing you of some of the current necessary for the grips to heat up and that would show up as a higher voltage reading.
Excellent suggestions, never thought of doing this. Along with the suggestion from rit333 I should be able to determine what's going on with the grips. Thanks again.

2014 Ariens 24" Platinum
Toro CCR 3650 GTS
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page