Question on 932 101 drive output shaft play - Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 Old 03-30-2014, 12:33 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 2
Thanks (Received): 4
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 12
Question on 932 101 drive output shaft play

I have been messing with this machine all winter and it got me through . The drive belt had come off and flipped which messed it up a bit but it got me through the winter. I pulled the front end off to put new ones on and noticed that the front output pulley off the gear gox (big lower one) has a lot of play in it , 16"th of inch wobble. When I pull the handlebar lever it goes away and feels fine. Most of the play is in the back end away from the pulley. Is that the way it's supposed to be? I'm assuming so due to the friction wheels allowed movement but want to be sure before I put it back together. Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 03-31-2014, 06:18 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 3
Thanks (Received): 27
Likes (Received): 42
driz
It might help if you can post a photo. I pulled up your parts breakdown and with your description of the problem... still scratching my head. Not sure exactly what you are describing. It looks like you have a "bushing" on the impeller shaft that, if worn, would give you a wobble. But still not sure what your problem is. MH
post #3 of 7 Old 03-31-2014, 09:24 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
I don't think you would see much on pic so I'll try again. It the shaft that connects to the friction disk. The pulley end is loose . I played with it a bit but notice
when the drive lever I'd depressed that the pulley rises into full verticaL and the slop is completely gone. It sure feels. Like its made that way to me but I want to be sure before I put it back together .
post #4 of 7 Old 03-31-2014, 09:59 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Parts and Diagrams for Ariens 932101-000101 ST824, 8hp Tec., 24" Blower
Can you identify the part from this diagram? MH
post #5 of 7 Old 03-31-2014, 12:40 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
I guess the slop is in # 27 BUSHING FLANGE. Should that move up and down freely until the lever is squeezed (which takes all the slop out)... The rear end of that shaft is pivoting towards the rear center I would guess. As I said it feels like something that was engineered that way as I never saw any sloppy worn bearing behave that way. I haven't pulled the studded collar off the shaft yet though to actually look at it. I was expecting more of a "no dummy the slop lets the pulley disengage from the belt answer".
This 824 is in pristine shape. Not the sort of thing I would expect to have extreme wear like this in.
post #6 of 7 Old 03-31-2014, 01:29 PM

Post Thanks / Like
The bushings should not allow wobble to occur, but if, when you engage the auger, the wobble doesn't occur, you may be able to run like that for quite a while before things get noticeably worse. Tension on anything that is wobbling will reduce it, but the wear on the bushings/bearings will be accelerated. I would just keep an eye on it and know that it will get worse over time. MH
post #7 of 7 Old 03-31-2014, 04:49 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Ok, after posting this in another thread here it is.

That pulley goes up and down about 5 degrees, or should I say in and out at the top. When the drive handle is depressed it's fully upright at 90 degrees. I don't see any other means of engagement / disengagement for the drive belt that enables it to slip. Thats why I think it must be made that way.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20140331_143528407_HDR.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	278.5 KB
ID:	14946   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20140331_143547417_HDR.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	334.0 KB
ID:	14954  

Last edited by driz; 03-31-2014 at 06:06 PM. Reason: addition
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page