LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 Old 07-22-2014, 12:08 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 7
Thanks (Received): 4
Likes (Given): 4
Likes (Received): 4
RM830 spindle bearings (need help)

Hello, I was gifted an Ariens Rear engine rider (925015) with a 30" deck.
I took off the deck and plan to use this as a yard mobility device. My elderly mother comes to visit every summer for a few weeks and likes to putter in my yard, weeding etc., she has a bad knee and refuses to have surgery. I thought I could just throw my Toro 5.5HP electric start motor on this and she could use it to drive around and pull a garbage can trailer. The 8HP Tec is complete but non running, spins but low compression, and i don't want to rebuild the motor or the deck (this is a low budget project).
The Drive system has more problems than I hoped for. It sat in weather and water infiltrated the drive plate spindle. I've removed it and will attempt a cheap rebuild.
After separating the aluminum drive plate pulley from the iron spindle housing, I'm stumped as to how to remove the snap ring and which direction I can press this out. If I could press the spindle and bearing assembly out the bottom this would free up some slack against the snap ring an i may be better able to remove the ring then press the spindle out the top (where the snap ring is). I don't want to break anything by going at it wrong. I have a 20 ton press. I'll add a picture.
This also looks like it uses the standard 3/4" Ariens bearings like used on many snowblower early augers, except these are preloaded with a shim stack and thrust washer in the drive pulley. Could these be the same size except tapered roller?...I'd like to use the standard snow bearings (sealed ball) as I have a dozen on the shelf. Any ideas or BTDT's would be helpful.

assembly in question is parts 71-79 here:

Lawn Mower Parts, Small Engine Parts & Much More! | PartsTree.com - Briggs, MTD, Toro, Cub Cadet, Husqvarna, Troy-bilt...

UPDATE: I successfully disassembled it. The spindle presses out the bottom, the clip ring need not be removed. Once I figured out the press setup it went smoothly, roll pin came out easy. This does NOT use the 1635 Snow auger bearings 3/4 x 1 3/4 x 1/2...it uses special spindle bearings Z9504 3/4 x 1 25/32 x 39/64....Hopefully this will be a $20-$30 running utility tractor

carrier

spindle housing (top)

spindle house (bottom)

Spindle with spacer, tension pin, and 1 of the 2 very seized bearings

PS: You can't see it very well, but there is a small tab on the carrier, this engages the key slot on the spindle collar and keeps the spindle stationary locked to the carrier when torqued down with the good sized spindle bolt.
The housing and pulley (not shown) are spun around the spindle via belt connected directly to the engine. The carrier is lowered down into contact with the friction disk(not shown) when the clutch is let out. The friction disk is attached directly to the differential case and drive axles.

Last edited by HillnGullyRider; 07-23-2014 at 09:37 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 07-22-2014, 07:14 PM
Retired Moderator

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 1
Thanks (Received): 197
Likes (Given): 6
Likes (Received): 251
You can check some bearing wholesale places for bearings and get them cheaper then the OEM ones.

As for your engine swap, standard lawnmower engines need the blade attached to them because it acts as the flywheel. They have a lightweight aluminum flywheel and will not run properly without the extra weight of the blade.

Please direct all snow blower questions to the forums and not to me with PMs.
post #3 of 4 Old 07-23-2014, 12:27 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 7
Thanks (Received): 4
Likes (Given): 4
Likes (Received): 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shryp View Post
As for your engine swap, standard lawnmower engines need the blade attached to them because it acts as the flywheel. They have a lightweight aluminum flywheel and will not run properly without the extra weight of the blade.
Yes the thought had crossed my mind, vertical engined edgers get around this by using a weighted flywheel pulley, I have one from an old MTD edger that i may modify to accept a larger diameter pulley. Have'nt gotten that far yet. If the engine stalls too much I may have to renew the valve and rings and carb and ignition on the Tec 8 (but that sounds expensive for what I'm trying to accomplish).

MTD Edger flywheel pulley (motor side)

MTD Edger pulley (output)

Last edited by HillnGullyRider; 07-23-2014 at 08:53 PM.
post #4 of 4 Old 07-23-2014, 02:28 PM
Retired Moderator

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 1
Thanks (Received): 197
Likes (Given): 6
Likes (Received): 251
Maybe also check your local craigslist for someone selling a used 8-10 HP engine for around $50. Those mower engines are usually fairly cheap.

Please direct all snow blower questions to the forums and not to me with PMs.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page