Ariens Platinum 24 or something else???? - Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 Old 08-18-2014, 06:39 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 1
Ariens Platinum 24 or something else????

Hello, I have a small snow removal business and do residential driveways with snowblowers. My main weapon of choice is a Toro 621qzr, thing works great for 90% of the snowfalls. I also have an Ariens Compact 624e, its not a new model but has a tecumseh engine and seems to work okay. The problem I have is with overflow on the sides of the machine, it seems limited by the size of the auger and impeller. I like the 24" width and would like to keep with that, however I feel I need more capacity if that makes sense. If I have to go over the driveway twice I would rather use the Toro 621, there is a threshold where the Ariens Compact 24" works well, however it is only slightly above that of the Toro 621. I have had zero issues with the Ariens or Toro and I like both units very much, not a huge fan of the 2-stage toros but I am open to options. So my question is would the Platinum 24" be my best bet or are there other options that would suit my needs. Here is a couple pictures of the fleet and how I store them between houses, space is limited and I like to be able to grab one blower without moving the other out of the way, this system works out well, Ideally I would keep the Ariens pointing forward however the truck is 2wd and I need the weight close to the back, I also have 2 large bins with salt stored in between the wheel wells. Thanks.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	snow.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	255.6 KB
ID:	17946   Click image for larger version

Name:	snow3.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	198.2 KB
ID:	17954   Click image for larger version

Name:	snow1.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	208.9 KB
ID:	17962  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 08-18-2014, 09:56 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 143
Likes (Received): 297
I don't mean to sound critical, but I am thinking that this is an issue of too much snow being fed to the augers. I completely understand that time is money. But in this circumstance, the augers and impeller are not capable to keep up with the feed rate.

You could consider a couple things to prevent this: 1. take 1/2 to 3/4 passes 2. slow down 3. some folks have attempted to extend the sides of the bucket with sheet metal with marginal success.

Shy of that, you are going to need a machine with a bigger auger and impeller.

Garage:
MTD....2 stage(modern 8.5 HP) not my favorite
Honda HS622 TA-B - acquired at an auction- nice machine for it's size.
Toro S-140- Picked it up on trash day... it runs, sort of.
Yamaha YS 240 TB "Ricky" latest Craigslist find- on the bench now.
post #3 of 8 Old 08-19-2014, 10:11 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks for the reply, yes auger and impeller size is my issue. That's why I'm thinking the platinum 24 might be a better fit, the compact 24 has a tall bucket but can only move so much snow at a time. I do typically only take a 3/4 width bucket swipe to try and minimize spill over. I usually go on speed setting 2 or 3, any slower seems like crawling, I think the extra 3-4" of impeller and auger would make a notable difference, I'm not really looking to go wider as most models seem to continue with the same size impeller/auger until you get into the pro series. The platinum 24" appears to have the highest power per inch of width and also auger to bucket ratio.
post #4 of 8 Old 08-19-2014, 01:16 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 36
Thanks (Received): 45
Likes (Given): 65
Likes (Received): 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by Locallawncare View Post
Thanks for the reply, yes auger and impeller size is my issue. That's why I'm thinking the platinum 24 might be a better fit, the compact 24 has a tall bucket but can only move so much snow at a time. I do typically only take a 3/4 width bucket swipe to try and minimize spill over. I usually go on speed setting 2 or 3, any slower seems like crawling, I think the extra 3-4" of impeller and auger would make a notable difference, I'm not really looking to go wider as most models seem to continue with the same size impeller/auger until you get into the pro series. The platinum 24" appears to have the highest power per inch of width and also auger to bucket ratio.
Sounds like you did your research. I would at least look at the deluxe 24. I have the same engine as the platinum 24, but in 30" width and that thing moves the snow. Sounds like funds may not be an issue (tax write off) so yes, the platinum 24 would serve you for many years as long as you do maintenance on it. Good luck.

2014 Ariens Deluxe 30 #921032 w/Armor skids, LED's, Hand warmers.
2015 Ariens Path Pro SS-21 # 938033
2010 Toro 1800 Power curve (electric, for the deck)
2009 Toro Power Shovel (electric, for deck steps)
post #5 of 8 Old 08-20-2014, 04:21 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 2
Likes (Received): 6
The Ariens Special addition deluxe 28 (921036) may better suit your needs due to increased HP.
post #6 of 8 Old 08-22-2014, 08:55 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks for the info, yes the Deluxe 30" appears to have the same engine as the platinum 24", didn't realize they made a Deluxe 28+ appears to have 291cc which is close to the 306 of the platinum 24 and deluxe 30. Also noticed that on the ariens website it now says SHO beside the platinum 24 and 30. Did they change something and make them more powerful or something? SHO (super high output), might just be a marketing gimmick.
post #7 of 8 Old 09-02-2014, 07:10 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
I'm still undecided on what machine if any to get, still got lots of time before winter but I'm stilling thinking for me personally the Platinum is the best in terms of compact size with powerful performance.
post #8 of 8 Old 09-03-2014, 11:16 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Likes (Received): 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnowGuy69 View Post
The Ariens Special addition deluxe 28 (921036) may better suit your needs due to increased HP.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Locallawncare View Post
didn't realize they made a Deluxe 28+ appears to have 291cc which is close to the 306 of the platinum 24 and deluxe 30.
As SnowGuy69 mentioned, you could get a "Super" Deluxe 28 that has a 342cc US made Briggs (only a couple left from McHenry). But for a snow removal business, I would think the Pro 28 would be nice with that 420cc engine?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page