LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 22 Old 08-05-2013, 12:58 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 0
1970 Ariens H70 snowblower question

I have an old Ariens H70-130158A snow blower that stopped working last winter. It would start but when I put it under load, it would stall. I started it again and after sitting for a few seconds it would stall again. I'm in the process of changing the carb and the fuel line. My question is should I continue to change the carb or put it out to pasture? It is over 40 years old.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 Old 08-05-2013, 05:03 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 1
Thanks (Received): 196
Likes (Given): 6
Likes (Received): 250
First thing to know is H70 is the Tecumseh number from the engine and not the number for the snow blower.

That being said I would keep it. The interlocking controls, heavy weight for traction and locking differential for turning on those machines are great features you will not be finding on anything modern. Ok, so they do have locking controls and some of the more expensive ones do still have some kind of turning assists, but you still won't find the shear weight and that helps with traction.

First thing to check is the gas cap. Old gas caps had a defective design and when they broke they would create a vacuum which would starve the engine for fuel. Look to see if your gas cap still has a dish on it. The test is just to run the engine with the gas cap off / loose.

Fuel lines rot from the inside, swell up and shed little pieces of rubber to plug things up. Look on youtube for carb cleaning videos as just getting a can of carb cleaner and a couple gaskets would be cheaper than a new carb. Take the bowl off yours and evaluate the internals before buying parts.

It does sound like a carb problem, but it could also be a compression problem. Old worn vales could be leaking, they could be loose, the piston rings could be worn out or the cylinder walls could be scratched.

One other alternative you you is to go with one of those $100 Harbor Freight engines. There are some purists here that will yell at you for putting a Chinese engine on an American blower, but they are hard to beat for the price. They are marketed as 6.5 or 7 HP and have lots of torque. They are much quieter than the old engine and start much easier. If you have surging issues and they don't run smooth you might need to open the jets slightly.

Another improvement you can make for your old blower is new tires. There is the X-Trac design and the Snow-Hog design. Either one would probably be much better than the old turf tires and chains those originally had. I have heard X-Tracs are the better ones, but I have Snow-Hogs.

The last improvement you can do is an impeller mod kit. This will bolt pieces of rubber to the impeller and basically prevent jams while also giving you a little bit more distance on your discharge.
post #3 of 22 Old 08-05-2013, 06:05 PM
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 61
Thanks (Received): 351
Likes (Given): 150
Likes (Received): 786
If rough running and stalling is its only problem, it definitely is *not* ready to be put out to Pasture! you would need to spend $800 to $1000 to buy a new machine that would be as good as your 40 year old snowblower..(and most brand-new $500 snowblowers are much *lower* quality than your 40 year old snowblower..even when factoring in the age difference.) (yes, I am saying your 40 year old ariens is, *right now*, in its 40 year old state, a *much* better machine than most "low end" brand-new snowblowers..)..so, its worth fixing!

My 1971 Ariens, with original Tecumseh engine, also had carb issues..I was afraid of taking the bowl off and taking the carb apart for cleaning, because I had never done it before, had no clue what I was doing, and I was afraid of messing it up further! but last winter I finally "went for it" and did it..and im glad im did! its running much better now! the carb just needed a good cleaning..here is my carb story, on another forum:

Carb rebuild on a Tecumseh - Engines - RedSquare Wheel Horse Forum

Scot

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #4 of 22 Old 08-07-2013, 05:25 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks for the tips. I picked up a new carb and a new fuel line. I checked the belt and saw that it was almost broke in half. I ordered that and a new muffler. The fuel cap looks worn so I'm going to find one of those. Hopefully after all of that I can get it running again. The true test will be the first storm of the season.
post #5 of 22 Old 08-28-2013, 01:27 PM

Post Thanks / Like
AriensH70,

Would be interested in your future progress with the fix. I picked up a 1969-70' Ariens for $10 on Craigslist a few weeks back so this thread might prove helpful at some point.
post #6 of 22 Old 08-29-2013, 12:34 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 1
Likes (Received): 1
Shyrp, will AriensH70 have to make any mods to a Harbor Freight....say pulley or controls??? AriensH70 most on here will not yell at you we will just make sure you know both sides....haha. Both engines have their pluses and are welcome.

Shyrp, I learned my lesson the hard way teasing people with Chinese engines. To each his own from here on out! Unless I hear Tec's being insulted over and over then I will defend. heh heh.

AriensH70 I would save the original carb as well if it is the original....probably has a lot of adjustments on it which is nice which the newer carbs do not have and a good cleaning will make it like new again. Go to have a back up carb always.
post #7 of 22 Old 08-29-2013, 12:52 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 24
Thanks (Received): 34
Likes (Given): 15
Likes (Received): 23
fuel starvation?

Just a thought cause I had a similar problem last year...my H60 would run then want to die out after a few minutes, then run fine and want to die again. I had the bowl nut too tight and it seemed to restrict the amount of fuel in the bowl. I backed it off a little and its been running beautiful since...
post #8 of 22 Old 08-29-2013, 06:42 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 1
Thanks (Received): 196
Likes (Given): 6
Likes (Received): 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simplicity Solid 22 View Post
Shyrp, will AriensH70 have to make any mods to a Harbor Freight....say pulley or controls??? AriensH70 most on here will not yell at you we will just make sure you know both sides....haha. Both engines have their pluses and are welcome.

Shyrp, I learned my lesson the hard way teasing people with Chinese engines. To each his own from here on out! Unless I hear Tec's being insulted over and over then I will defend. heh heh.

AriensH70 I would save the original carb as well if it is the original....probably has a lot of adjustments on it which is nice which the newer carbs do not have and a good cleaning will make it like new again. Go to have a back up carb always.
I believe the engine would bolt right on with no issues. He will probably have to knock the studs out of the frame and use longer bolts and then possible move the chute crank a little. He should be able to use the old pulley as well if he can get it off.
post #9 of 22 Old 08-30-2013, 01:51 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 27
Likes (Given): 2
Likes (Received): 57
A tune up wouldn't hurt either. Especially points and condensor. Who knows when they were done last.
post #10 of 22 Old 09-12-2013, 02:06 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 46
Thanks (Received): 70
Likes (Given): 60
Likes (Received): 110
As to tune ups I would always put in a new spark plug every year and clean the carburetor on my old Tecumseh 5hp powered MTD 5/22 and when it was cold it could still be difficult to start. I replaced my engine last year with a Harbor freight Predator 212cc OHV engine and I could not be more pleased with the new engine. It always starts on 1 to 2 pulls and runs quietly and smoothly and it has tons of torque and with the impeller mod it will throw snow 40 feet or more. Since the Predator 212cc is a single shaft engine it was a bit more work to make it work well in my snow blower since the old engine has 2 shafts. I still have the old engine sitting on my garage floor and it still runs but not as nice as the Predator 212cc. As to replacing the points it may help it to run better but there is a reason why Breaker points were replaced with electronic ignitions in the 1980's. I much prefer modern engines to older engines because they tend to be more fuel efficient OHV or even OHC designs and they are much easier to start than the old flat head Tecumseh's and the Tecumseh's were notorious for breaking connecting rods under heavy loads such as when blowing deep wet snow especially on the 7hp engines.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page