post #1 of 357 Old 09-19-2013, 08:44 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 61
Thanks (Received): 52
Likes (Given): 266
Likes (Received): 108
Thoughts On Ariens Auto-Turn?

Hey Folks,
I've kind of got my heart set on the new Platinum 24. It looks to have everything I could want in a snowblower and seems pretty much perfect for my needs. Before I actually pull the trigger I'd really like to know your thoughts on the Auto-Turn feature. Removing snow in my yard will involve lots of tight turns, so it seems to me to be the perfect solution, but I've been wondering if it might prove to be a weak spot over the long term.
Looking forward to your input.
Regards,
Larry
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 357 Old 09-20-2013, 07:19 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 1
Thanks (Received): 196
Likes (Given): 6
Likes (Received): 250
I have used solid axle blowers and I thought I was in heaven when I bought an old 1970s Ariens and found a differential in it. I can turn that thing with one hand without even trying. It can be slightly problematic on ice as that will let one wheel spin, but I will take it. The old ones were either open or locked.

The new ones are suppose to auto lock for going straight and still allow easy turning so in theory it should be the best of both worlds. They first came out with the auto turn feature a couple years back, but this year I think they redesigned it so there must have been some issues with it.
post #3 of 357 Old 09-20-2013, 08:49 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 0
Have you seen the Ariens video on YouTube? Looks pretty slick, as far as reliability they tend to test new tech pretty substantially. I wouldn't have a concern with it.
post #4 of 357 Old 09-20-2013, 05:04 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Went to my local dealer today and came away with a bad feeling. They want to charge an extra $130.00 for set up. This is a large "green" farm implement dealer who sells Ariens as a sideline out of 8 branches, so they cover the entire south part of Saskatchewan. Think volume buying. If I care to drive 2 hours I can go to either of 2 small dealers and buy the same machine with no set up charge. I can't even go to the depot, because they don't sell the platinum 24 in Canada. Makes my blood boil!
post #5 of 357 Old 09-21-2013, 07:04 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 1
Likes (Received): 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Hill View Post
Went to my local dealer today and came away with a bad feeling. They want to charge an extra $130.00 for set up. This is a large "green" farm implement dealer who sells Ariens as a sideline out of 8 branches, so they cover the entire south part of Saskatchewan. Think volume buying. If I care to drive 2 hours I can go to either of 2 small dealers and buy the same machine with no set up charge. I can't even go to the depot, because they don't sell the platinum 24 in Canada. Makes my blood boil!
Wow! That does seem steep. My local dealer charged $36 which I considered a reasonable charge. They also delivered it free of charge.
Bruce
post #6 of 357 Old 09-21-2013, 10:25 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
I sent my issue to Ariens on their ask us a question deal. It seems to me to lack the integrity they are famous for. There was a local Japanese power equipment dealer here that had his dealership revoked for pulling just this kind of crap.
post #7 of 357 Old 09-21-2013, 01:46 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thoughts on Ariens ATC feature; I have a 2010 Ariens Platinum 24 model 921017 with the automatic traction control and I love it. When I bought it I thought it was the best combination of size, power and maneuverability for my requirements. Went with the Platinum over the Deluxe model BECAUSE of the ATC and I have not been disappointed. I have never used a snowblower of any type before and I wanted it to be as easy to use as possible for me and my wife. It turns on a dime in place very easily to begin the next row. There is no struggling or straining with turning you just turn it like a push mower, very easy. That is my only comparison since I have never used another snowblower before.
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 1 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes Grandexperiment liked this post
post #8 of 357 Old 09-21-2013, 01:55 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks Brian!
You situation sounds a lot like mine. It's been over 45 years since I used a snow blower and I've decided that the wife and I are getting too old to be doing the amount of shovelling that our yard requires in the winter. I'm fairly mechanical, but pretty much all I know about snowblowers comes from reading what the good folks that frequent this forum have to say. I'm glad that I seem to be on the right track with my choice.
Best regards,
Larry
post #9 of 357 Old 09-21-2013, 02:23 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Glad to help Larry! Yes internet forums are great, this forum helped me out tremendously 3 years ago when researching snowblowers for my own needs. Seems for almost any subject or area of interest there is an internet forum where knowledgeable enthusiasts share with like minded people or those seeking to learn. They are a great resource.
post #10 of 357 Old 09-26-2013, 12:30 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Likes (Received): 0
I have the 2013 Platinum 30 with ATC, and I find that I am always struggling to keep it running straight. It's a workout let me tell ya !! Now, I am in no way disputing Brian McSouthJersey's impressions of the ATC, because that's what you're going to find when reading about the ATC feature. It appears to work extremely well for some, while others like me don't like it. I personally prefer the deluxe model which uses the trigger. That being said, I am thinking that my driveway may have something to do with the function of the ATC. I have a lot of dips and such. When one side of the bucket dips, the cutting bar catches in the driveway, and the ATC frees up one wheel because it thinks I want to turn. I am ordering the bigger skid shoes from snowblowerskids.com to see if that helps improve the situation any. I have used it on my neighbors driveway a couple of times and it seems to work a bit better there. His driveway is a little more flat than mine.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page