LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 21 Old 09-20-2013, 10:57 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 0
Time for a new snow blower

Just signed up here. I have been browsing the last few weeks trying to learn as much about snow blower as I can. Very good information here.
I am looking to purchase a new snow blower in the next couple of weeks. I live In St. Louis, Mo and a typical winter we will have 4 or 5 snowfalls ranging from 2 – 6 inches. Every couple of years we might get a snowfall up to 8 inches. On average we get about 20 – 24 inches of snow for the year.

My driveway is concrete, level and is 110 feet long and 30 feet wide.

I have been looking at the following Ariens units:
Compact 24”
Deluxe 24”
Platinum 24”
Deluxe 28” +

The Compact 24” is about 50 pounds lighter than the other 3 blowers and think it would be easier to maneuver around but I like the features of the other blowers. I have noticed that the Deluxe 24, 28 and Platinum look more durable and for the little difference in price, should I pursue one of those?

My 12 year old son helps me now with the driveway. We have been out the last couple of weeks looking at these snow blowers and he has tried the larger 28 plus and had a little trouble simulating a turn due to the weight of the machine. The machine was not running and he tried to push down on the handles and barely was able to lift the auger end up to simulate turning around, so that is a concern in purchasing a machine he is unable to operate. My budget is up to $1,500. Recommendations are appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Mike
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 Old 09-21-2013, 10:47 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 27
Likes (Given): 2
Likes (Received): 57
I Haman old machine guy but there are some guys here that have the new ones and they will chime in.

However for what you are describing the 28" might be overkill. And I don't know about everyone else but when I turn a snow blowers around I don't lift the front up I just let it slide around.
post #3 of 21 Old 09-21-2013, 11:32 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 61
Thanks (Received): 52
Likes (Given): 266
Likes (Received): 108
Welcome Saleen Guy!
I'm about to purchase a new Platinum 24 with the new auto turn feature. Look that up on YouTube or google. My needs call for lots of tight turns and the auto turn is supposed to make it an effortless, zero turn machine.
To each his own, but I think this one will suit my needs.
Larry
post #4 of 21 Old 09-21-2013, 03:52 PM
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 61
Thanks (Received): 351
Likes (Given): 150
Likes (Received): 785
Turning a snowblower on dry pavement is quite a bit different that turning one in "real use" in the snow..even in an area you have already cleared with the snowblower, there will always be that thin layer of snow remaining, which reduces friction *a lot*..So turning a snowblower in the snow is always a lot easier than turning one on dry pavement..

but having said that, I also agree that the 28" machine is probably overkill for your needs..you get really light snowfall amounts, a 24" machine will serve you just fine..you should always buy "as much" snowblower as you need, but not less..
but there is no real benefit to buying "more" snowblower than you need..
For your snowfall amounts, I would cross the 28-incher off the list.

Scot

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 21 Old 09-21-2013, 04:46 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 46
Thanks (Received): 70
Likes (Given): 60
Likes (Received): 110
Yes, Sscotsman is right. I like my 22 inch blower and I would not get one larger than a 26 inch since it will be much heavier and less maneuverable and take up more space in your garage.
post #6 of 21 Old 09-22-2013, 02:10 AM

Post Thanks / Like
I have relatives that live in Waterloo and a single stage does well for them. I would look at the larger Toro single stages. Your average snowfall depth isn't that deep and it is wetter snow which singles generally do a better job of clearing. Also your drive isn't really large so you will be able to move quicker with a single than a two stage.
post #7 of 21 Old 09-22-2013, 09:45 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 147
Thanks (Received): 277
Likes (Given): 380
Likes (Received): 929
And to add to what Flannelman said, single stage machines are faster. My humble opinion but I do speak from experience.

Joe

Sent from my junky old Hisense 7" tablet that I can barely see.
Toro 724
Toro CCR 3650E
Toro 5/21 sold
Ariens 5/22 ss ..Sold
Ariens Sno Tek 7/24 sold.
Old green plastic snow shovel... Sent.to shovel Heaven
Old quarry shovel for ice.
New.green shovel
post #8 of 21 Old 09-22-2013, 11:37 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 18
Thanks (Received): 38
Likes (Given): 53
Likes (Received): 100
I vote for the single stage too. The only down fall to them is getting threw the windrow from the town plows on big storms at the end of your driveway. But as long as you keep up with storm I think it's your best bet. They are not only cost less up front but are all so cost less to maintain as they have less parts. You son would have no trouble handling it as well, they are light and self propelled by the the paddled auger.

Scott
69 ariens
toro 721r
toro 926 hd oxe
78 powerking 1614/48'' haban snowblower
post #9 of 21 Old 09-23-2013, 06:27 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 1
Likes (Received): 1
I have a new Deluxe 28 that I just purchased last month. I haven't used it on snow yet, but the auto-turn is effortless even in the "dry". I can't wait to check it out with snow.
Bruce

(Sorry guys, this should have been in the Auto-Turn post)

Last edited by Brucebotti; 09-23-2013 at 06:29 AM. Reason: Submitted in wrong post
post #10 of 21 Old 09-23-2013, 09:59 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks for all of the responces. I have thought about a single stage, but a few neighbors have 2 stage blowers and thought about getting a 2 stage unit. I will look at a few single stages and see what I think.

Regards,
Mike
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page