LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 Old 09-28-2013, 11:41 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 0
Trying to figure out this part

So my Ariens (9260) turned into a mouse nest this past spring, I ended up cleaning it out and when I opened it I up I saw that what I'm thinking is a solenoid with a wire to the spark plug had been chewed up. I just don't know what part name/number this is. Can someone take a look at the photo and let me know what you think?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2013-04-18 15.51.42.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	126.5 KB
ID:	2289  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 09-28-2013, 11:47 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 1
Thanks (Received): 196
Likes (Given): 6
Likes (Received): 250
That definitely looks like the spark plug wire. Unfortunately the proper fix for that is to replace the whole coil. You might be able to get by with wrapping it up real good in electrical tape. I have heard of guys attempting to splice new wires on with varying success.

If it were mine I would try the tape first and if you run into issues get a new coil.

As for your part number, we would need the model number and serial numbers off the engine. It can probably be figured out with the model number and serial number of the blower too, but the engine would be better. The Tecumseh parts should be pretty generic to many different engines so they shouldn't be too hard to get.

The engine is probably something like Tecumseh HM80-12345 SER 1234.

The blower is probably something like model number 924123 and serial number 123456.

I have no idea what 9260 is. (9HP, 26" maybe?)

Have a look here for some videos on coils.
http://www.youtube.com/user/donyboy7...=tecumseh+coil

The coil is also sometimes called the ignition module. Not that some engines have the coil where yours is as some have it behind the flywheel. Yours is a newer electronic / solid state ignition and easier to work on.

Last edited by Shryp; 09-29-2013 at 12:09 AM.
post #3 of 8 Old 09-29-2013, 04:57 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 1
Thanks (Received): 196
Likes (Given): 6
Likes (Received): 250
I just did a quick google search while thinking about this and happened upon someone else who suggested taking a piece of hose and splitting the side and putting that over the wire before taping it up.
post #4 of 8 Old 09-29-2013, 09:41 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shryp View Post
That definitely looks like the spark plug wire. Unfortunately the proper fix for that is to replace the whole coil. You might be able to get by with wrapping it up real good in electrical tape. I have heard of guys attempting to splice new wires on with varying success.

If it were mine I would try the tape first and if you run into issues get a new coil.

I will try taping it, they also chewed up and destroyed the shut off wires, so now the only way to shut it off is to pull the spark plug wire off the plug. If I can find a schematic then I should be able to fabricate a new connection
post #5 of 8 Old 09-29-2013, 11:22 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 144
Thanks (Received): 275
Likes (Given): 380
Likes (Received): 927
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shryp View Post
I just did a quick google search while thinking about this and happened upon someone else who suggested taking a piece of hose and splitting the side and putting that over the wire before taping it up.
I was going to make that same suggestion but with actual electric cord insulation. Probably both would have the same effect but possibly electric cord might be just a bit more flexible.

Joe

Sent from my junky old Hisense 7" tablet that I can barely see.
Toro 724
Toro CCR 3650E
Toro 5/21 sold
Ariens 5/22 ss ..Sold
Ariens Sno Tek 7/24 sold.
Old green plastic snow shovel... Sent.to shovel Heaven
Old quarry shovel for ice.
New.green shovel
post #6 of 8 Old 09-29-2013, 12:34 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 61
Thanks (Received): 52
Likes (Given): 266
Likes (Received): 108
If you can get the spark plug boot off, you might think about taping with good quality electrical tape and then sliding a piece of heat shrink tubing over the repair. Likely to make it more moisture resistant over the long term.

If money, or simply the challenge aren't issues here, I'd just replace the coil if it were mine. Then I'm sure that it won't let me down when I need it most. I hate having to take things apart and try to make makeshift repairs while crouched in a snowbank at 30 below.
Shryp posted links to some excellent videos that show exactly what you're dealing with.
JMHO

Good luck either way.
Larry
post #7 of 8 Old 09-29-2013, 12:54 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 61
Thanks (Received): 52
Likes (Given): 266
Likes (Received): 108
OR...You might consider this...
NGK Performance Products - Splicers
NGK makes a splice kit for snowmobile spark plug wires. You can cut out the bad section and splice in a new piece. I saw on a forum where a gent with a similar problem to yours found the kit on EBay for 8 bucks, as opposed to 50 beans for the whole coil assembly. For my money, I find this less sketchy than a tape job.
Again JMHO
Larry
post #8 of 8 Old 09-29-2013, 04:13 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Hill View Post
OR...You might consider this...
NGK Performance Products - Splicers
NGK makes a splice kit for snowmobile spark plug wires. You can cut out the bad section and splice in a new piece. I saw on a forum where a gent with a similar problem to yours found the kit on EBay for 8 bucks, as opposed to 50 beans for the whole coil assembly. For my money, I find this less sketchy than a tape job.
Again JMHO
Larry
Thanks - Honestly - if I could figure out the part number, it may be worth it to just replace the whole thing.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page