LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 Old 01-26-2011, 11:47 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 0
Looking new, compact 26, or deluxe 28.

Looking at the features, which would you do? My sidewalks on a corner lot are 60". I could live with two passes at 28, I don't think I could at 26. Looking for other input.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 01-27-2011, 01:44 AM

Post Thanks / Like
I too was considering a 26 but then for the money you can get the 28 which I was going to buy but someone beat me to it. Home Depot sold the 28 Deluxe at $999 which my local dealer was going to match. I wound up going with the 30 Deluxe for something like $1250. That included my dealer having to pick it up 3 hrs away from me. I thing general rule of thumb for picking out size is to always buy as much engine as you can afford (or want to spend). Fiance thought the 30 was big but consider it is only the width of your hand more than the 26inch is really not that much. But the 100cc more than 26 and over 50cc than the 28 is really the difference. The city likes to shove a pile of snow in front of my house where I need to set my trash cans in my culdesack. The blower i have now doesn't slow a bit when mowing through that heavy pile and I credit it to the extra engine size. I would have gone with the platinum 30 for even more but I thought it was to much of another jump for another 50cc.
post #3 of 4 Old 01-28-2011, 10:43 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 2
Likes (Received): 1
Between the 2 models, I'd go for the Deluxe 28. According to the specs on the Ariens site, they both have the same engine but the Deluxe 28 has a 14"Auger/14"Impeller which will handle more volume than the 11"Auger/12"Impeller setup on the Compact 26. IMHO I think you'll be happy with the Deluxe 28. I decided to go with the Platinum 30 with all the bells and whistles, has the 342cc same as the Pro series so I figured I couldn't go wrong. Handwarmers actually keep your hands pretty warm, ATC (Automatic Traction Control) takes getting used to but it is definitely easy to make turns than a solid axle without remote lock. It was more than I wanted to spend, but I expect it to be around for 20+ years easy. I have an 18 year old MTD 10hp/28" with a Tecumseh Engine still runs like a champ but doesn't throw very far I'm handing it down to my brother - doesn't get as much snow as I do here in WNY but when will come in handy when it does. My neighbor has an Ariens 5520 that he bought a couple of years ago and even though it's smalller it performed better than my MTD. So when the opportunity presented itself I decided to go BIG . Either way good luck with your decision, you'll definitely be happy with an Ariens.

Last edited by fronos4; 01-28-2011 at 10:45 PM.
post #4 of 4 Old 01-29-2011, 12:32 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks all. I did go with the deluxe 28". Loving it so far. Cleaned up a little around the house, and was impressed at the power. Now I just want one more big snow for the year to really play.

2010 Ariens ST28LE
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page