LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 Old 01-17-2015, 01:34 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 0
Appropriate Gas for Ariens 24" Deluxe?

Can somebody please bottom line this for me? I took delivery of my very first snow blow yesterday...a 2015 Ariens 24" Deluxe. I've never use any type of snow blower or even a gas powered lawn mower before so I have to admit to being a compelte newbie on all things related.

I know this information is in the manual, sort of. It says "Unleaded gasoline with a pump octane rating of 86 or higher, maximum recommended ethanol content of 10%. This would seem to imply I have to scrutinize the gas pumps at EACH gasoline station everytime I go to refill to get the "right kind" or I might damage the machine. i can't believe it's that complex, is it?

I asked the local dealer I bought it from and they said "regular". I then asked "can I damage it if I put "ultra" (the medium stuff) or "supreme" (the best stuff)? He said "hold on", asked someone....came back and said "go ahead and you can put anything you want in it!" While an easy answer, that didn't quite sound right either.

So, I'm not concerned about only getting the "cheapest" gas for it. I'm more concerned about getting the "right" gas for it. For instance, I always put "Surpreme" (the highest grade) in my car because I figure it will minimize the probability of issues. I want to follow the same mentality with the snow blower.

So again, can somebody bottom line this for me? Thanks in advance for your assistance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 01-17-2015, 01:50 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 4
Thanks (Received): 14
Likes (Given): 5
Likes (Received): 52
Most regular gas is 87 octane. That same octane level in mountain states is lower due to the altitude. People debate the benefits of higher octane but the biggest concern is ethanol. In your owners manual, the 10% ethanol means that is the MAXIMUM you want to use. If you can find gas WITHOUT ethanol for your Ariens, USE IT.

I would suggest adding your location (at least the state) to your profile to help answer questions like this. Here is a link for gas stations with non-ethanol containing gas (often referred to as E0 rather than E10).
Ethanol-free gas stations in the U.S. and Canada

It will be a little more expensive but worth it in the long run. If not available conveniently, be sure to use Sta-Bil (fuel preservative/stabilizer) and or Seafoam (combination fuel preservative/stabilizer and carb cleaner).

This has been discussed a lot here on the forum. You might also want to do a search.

Last edited by CO Snow; 01-17-2015 at 01:55 PM.
post #3 of 17 Old 01-17-2015, 04:07 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks for the reply. I'm on Long island. I've updated my profile to include that for future posts. I did try a "gas" search in the search field but must have done it wrong as I didn't come back with any results.

No ethanol-free gas stations anywhere on Long Island apparently. I'll look into the stabilizers...I guess I just have to figure out the ratio of that to the gas. Apparently I can buy ethanol-free gas in cans from Home Depot at a much higher price. Maybe I'll keep a few of those around as well.

Thanks again. I appreciate the response.
post #4 of 17 Old 01-17-2015, 04:16 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 95
Thanks (Received): 84
Likes (Given): 225
Likes (Received): 135
87 octane or better unless you should have access to an ethanol free gasoline.

I add a splash of "marine" Stabil to every batch of gasoline I purchase.
post #5 of 17 Old 01-17-2015, 04:21 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 52
Thanks (Received): 85
Likes (Given): 27
Likes (Received): 82
Just to add a bit on the gas discussion, it is mentioned here and many sites that snow blowers engines have 8 to 1 compression which means there is no use for higher octane gasoline as the higher octane gas are meant for the higher compression engines. But sometimes there are stations that keep higher octane gas with no ethanol so it might be good to ask the gas station operator and furthermore aviation gas also does not contain any ethanol. Just saying as it could be cheaper than the high priced version at HD.

Snow Removal Apparatus I own:
Ariens ST1530DLE, and good ole arm powered scrapper.
The 15 HP is a new Ducar engine sold
by Princess Auto in Canada.
post #6 of 17 Old 01-17-2015, 06:42 PM

Post Thanks / Like
I've been doing research on this myself and here's the best options in order, factoring in convenience/money

1) Ethanol free at the pump and add stabilizer if wanted. I recently just found a source (pictured) and I was ecstatic.

2) 87 w/ no more than 10% ethanol. No need for premium gas if ethanol is in it - smaller engines can't benefit from it. Definitely add stabilizer with this option.

3) Buy canned non-ethanol gas from store, but I personally would not do this because the enormous cost. Maybe use this option the last few tanks of the of the season before storage.

I'm not an expert, so feel free to correct me :-)

I had to attach a picture of my new machine that I haven't got to use yet. Wishing for a blizzard!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20150110_193928_1421534604442.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	89.8 KB
ID:	36305   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG2703_1421534644976.jpg
Views:	150
Size:	187.1 KB
ID:	36313  

Last edited by mrein26; 01-17-2015 at 06:44 PM.
post #7 of 17 Old 01-17-2015, 08:21 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 4
Thanks (Received): 14
Likes (Given): 5
Likes (Received): 52
The price of that E0 looks pretty good. Our 87 octane is less ($1.68/gal) but the E0 is $4.10/gal.
post #8 of 17 Old 01-17-2015, 08:33 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 52
Thanks (Received): 85
Likes (Given): 27
Likes (Received): 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrein26 View Post
I've been doing research on this myself and here's the best options in order, factoring in convenience/money

1) Ethanol free at the pump and add stabilizer if wanted. I recently just found a source (pictured) and I was ecstatic.
Well you have the best of both worlds, a good Ariens and a good source for gas. Looking at your snow blower's pic you may want to source Armor skids because many members here have found they complement the machine very good avoiding the squirreling nature the unit tends to exhibit.
With the Armor skids they claim they operate the unit with just one hand for direction use. Good Luck

Snow Removal Apparatus I own:
Ariens ST1530DLE, and good ole arm powered scrapper.
The 15 HP is a new Ducar engine sold
by Princess Auto in Canada.
post #9 of 17 Old 01-17-2015, 08:45 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Wow, I guess the EO price I got was a great deal.

Thanks for the tip on the Armor skids!
post #10 of 17 Old 01-18-2015, 01:11 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 1
i heard that ethanol is bad for small engines (the carb mostly), so i use super in my snowblower and mower. yes it is more expensive. but i figure that i use about 5 litres per month at about 15 cents more. so under 1$, so why risk it.

Also super has better quality lubricants and additives since they were made for high performance engines (su as porsche...) so also better for carbon buildup and all that.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in