LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 19 Old 01-19-2015, 06:45 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 3
Thanks (Received): 4
Likes (Given): 2
Likes (Received): 3
Ariens coatings

I am interested in how early people were seeing powder coat failure on their newer Ariens?

I have a 2006, and from a distance the outside housing looks new still, but when observed up close there are big problems. These aren't the normal abrasion wear-away of the impeller house. To me this powder paint they are using is the improper coating to use for any sheet metal in a saltwater environment.

True enough, the powder paint is very tough against scratching in a perfect world, but the problem is it's this hardness that makes it very brittle. Brittle is not good for extremes in temperature and flexing. Both of which snowblowers experience repeatedly. The other problem is the powder paint Ariens uses does not adhere to sharp edges of thin sheet metal. I can see numerous instances where flexing, abrasion, or corrosion starts at sharp edge and the powder delaminates from the substrate in sheets. Water is then trapped behind the coating and up against bare metal. This problem is not confined to housing sheet metal, it is also is happening on the auger rake edges, the support bar, and pretty much wherever there is a sharp edge. Consistently the coating fails on these edges

Bubbling is also very common with this powder paint even in the middle of sheet metal when there is no apparent breach. So, on the surface it still looks protected and has a shiny new appearance, yet below, extensive corrosion is occurring.

I was wondering from someone that owns late model blowers, if this is occurring, and how long until it begins to set in?...Please check your sharp edges for any sign of delamination, because what looks good from a distance isn't always the case.

Also, if any member works in the coatings industry, It might be nice to hear some possible solutions. My guess is Ariens has gone with a powder coating for environmental and cost reasons. Yet it can't be the optimum solution.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 Old 01-19-2015, 07:37 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 0
Hi HillnGullyRider
I am not an expert but I don't think that powder coating is any better than a properly applied paint using traditional methods. It has the advantage of being more environmentally friendly as there is less waste and emissions but like any paint process it all boils down to the quality of the paint used and of course surface prep. I believe that spraying with a urethane enamel will have better results than powder coating with an inferior paint. I have had part powder coated before and was disappointed with its durability.
Cheers
post #3 of 19 Old 01-19-2015, 07:37 PM
Banned

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 158
Likes (Given): 95
Likes (Received): 302
Hill, Did we find out Ariens powder coats or paints? Really asking here, as I don't know
post #4 of 19 Old 01-19-2015, 08:26 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Yes, we even know the delivery system (Nordson automatic) and the brand (TCI). Plus I suspect they been using powder for at least 3 decades (as I see the same type of problems not present in the earlier models.)
post #5 of 19 Old 01-19-2015, 08:40 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Originally Posted by candive View Post
Hi HillnGullyRider
I have had part powder coated before and was disappointed with its durability.
Cheers
Durability is only one part of the equation, you also need adhesion and flexibility... Anything can get scratched including ceramics and solid steel, so I'd rather have a coating that scratches a bit easier as long as the rest stays adhered. That way the corrosion is limited to only the exposed scratch and can be easily touched up. What you don't want is it to flake in sheets.

Last edited by HillnGullyRider; 01-19-2015 at 08:47 PM.
post #6 of 19 Old 01-19-2015, 08:46 PM
pfn

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 13
Thanks (Received): 6
Likes (Given): 6
Likes (Received): 11
I've had delamination of the coating on the auger housing of my 2011 Pro.
It happened in an area the gets little chance of bumping into something or flexing. It was on a corner. I just assumed that the surface was contaminated prior to applying the paint at the factory.
I wrote to Ariens about it and asked for a can of their spray paint They complied and I "fixed" it. I know it's not as good as a properly applied factory coating but what is one to do?
I would be interested in knowing if many others have had similar problems.
post #7 of 19 Old 01-19-2015, 08:49 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
It's not contamination, the powder fails at the sharp corners and moisture quickly progresses between the coating and the substrate.

The first pic shows the typical corner failure and the black outline is the progression of delamination.

The second pic shows the adhesion failure and bubbling (presumably from flex) as well as the typical and normal abrasion wear in the impeller house.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Bubble.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	69.5 KB
ID:	36649   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bubble3.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	126.2 KB
ID:	36657  

Last edited by HillnGullyRider; 01-19-2015 at 09:03 PM.
post #8 of 19 Old 01-19-2015, 09:30 PM
pfn

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 13
Thanks (Received): 6
Likes (Given): 6
Likes (Received): 11
Pic #1 is the problem I had. There are a lot of sharp corners on my machine, many places to develop corrosion. Disappointing.
post #9 of 19 Old 01-19-2015, 09:57 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 108
Thanks (Received): 164
Likes (Given): 347
Likes (Received): 648
They Should have stayed with the Tough Paint used on the 10000 series.
post #10 of 19 Old 01-19-2015, 10:11 PM
Banned

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 158
Likes (Given): 95
Likes (Received): 302
I don't see that as regular production, but I have and will continue to be wrong about stuff
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page